• Neji Hyuuga
    • Naruto Uzumaki
    • Kakashi Hatake
    • Jiraiya
    • Danzo Shimura
    • Asuma Sarutobi
    • Madara Uchiha
    • Might Gai

According to this list, I would either say Itachi or Kakashi. Both are superior in military tactics, loyalty, experience, and have skills that surpass the others on this list. There is a huge downside to either one being assigned to hokage, however; I do not think the leaf village could spare their usefulness on the battlefield. Both play too significant of roles in protecting the village while paving the way for the next generation. If Itachi doesn't leave to protect the village, than Sasuke never gets the mentorship from Kakashi, and the same goes for Kakashi with Naruto. So basically, Itachi is invaluable for his spy role in Akatsuki; and Kakashi for his role as mentor and team leader.

My pick for an alternate Hokage that is not on this list would be Shikamaru. A tactical genius, who could detour any attack on the village by seeing several moves ahead, and someone whom the village could afford to spare from the battlefield in times of war.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't Shikamaru on this list, for now I'd say he Asuma or Kakashi in terms strategy as well as Itachi.

Seriously! Shikamaru is the best strategist (next to his father). If you look at tsunade since she took the position, she barely fights, and the job is almost entirely decissions... Shikamaru is made for this job

Why isn't Shikamaru on this list, for now I'd say he Asuma or Kakashi in terms strategy as well as Itachi.

In my opinion, while it is shown that Shikamaru is a great strategist...it's not enough. To be a Hokage requires more. You need dedication, intelligence, wit, strength, diplomacy, wisdom. Of those characteristics, Shikamaru has only intelligence. He's lazy, not very diplomatic, and is only a mere Chuunin so far...although yes, I do know that if you plan correctly, a child can kill a Kage. He hasn't shown any abilities beyond his clan's shadow techniques.

I will grant that he is superior strategically to Asuma, being shown beating him at shogi, but Kakashi and Itachi? I'll remind you that both of those are considered the greatest prodigies of the Leaf Village: Kakashi graduated the Academy at age 5, reached Chuunin at 6 and was a Jonin at 13, whereas Itachi graduated at age 7, became a Chuunin at age 10 and was an ANBU captain by the time he was 13.

The way I thought up the list is I imagined that all characters were standing in a room and that I was asked my opinion on each one, and being asked my reasons for my choice. Out of all of them, Itachi has dedication (he believed that it was morally better to wipe out his clan, rather than to allow them to ignite the next war); intelligence (during his sparse encounters, he is shown able to out-think his opponents and plan several moves ahead e.g. planning out his own death at the hands of Sasuke); wit, being able to keep calm and cool under pressure (he calmly retreats when Gai and Jiraiya appear during their respective encounters with him...although being that he was actually undercover, it can be argued that he retreated out of loyalty, rather than being outmatched); strength, as I said at the start of the thread, he gained the highest rank the quickest, and was able to defeat Orochimaru in a single move, when the Third Hokage was unable to; diplomacy...well, the only thing going for him there was Itachi threatened to reveal Konoha's secrets if Sasuke was not kept safe (threats are sometimes a necessary part of diplomacy after all); and lastly, wisdom (he saw that the only way Sasuke would ever grow strong enough to protect himself was if he focused everything he had on defeating Itachi)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm to late to vote, but I pick Jiraiya.

He might not have sacrificed as much when compared to certain other candidates but he is definitely one of the most worthy.

out of all the others he was considered in power to be at a much higher level then most. and being trained under neath the 3rd hokage and trained the 4th himself makes him the obvious choice. He's not the smartest candidate but he's the one I chose.

Shame though he didn't want the responsibility of hokage. it would have made for a way better plot then tsunade being hokage.