Don't share links outside Kametsu

gbp877

I think this needs to be an official forum rule. (if it isn't already; I didn't see it anywhere)

Yeah, I know it'll be difficult to enforce, but who knows, it might help, even if only a little.

I remember back in the aughts when YouSendIt and Rapidshare where the best filehosts, that everyone knew, because it was just common sense, that link stealing was a huge, unacceptable, inexcusable, unforgivable, no-no. Even newbs (n00bz) understood this without it being necessary to tell them. But now, how times have sadly changed it seems.

So, yeah, we unfortunately need this rule.

If anyone wants to share anything outside Kametsu, they can still do so, but only if they re-upload the files, and share their own original links.

No sharing anyone else's without their permission. This way we better preserve the links shared here if they're kept exclusive to Kametsu. They won't get taken down so soon.

Because sharing IS caring.

Because caring is uhhhhhhhhhhh  ...sharing?

Yeah. Yeah, that's it, sharing.

1 hour ago, gbp877 said:

I think this needs to be an official forum rule. (if it isn't already; I didn't see it anywhere)

Yeah, I know it'll be difficult to enforce, but who knows, it might help, even if only a little.

I remember back in the aughts when YouSendIt and Rapidshare where the best filehosts, that everyone knew, because it was just common sense, that link stealing was a huge, unacceptable, inexcusable, unforgivable, no-no. Even newbs (n00bz) understood this without it being necessary to tell them. But now, how times have sadly changed it seems.

So, yeah, we unfortunately need this rule.

If anyone wants to share anything outside Kametsu, they can still do so, but only if they re-upload the files, and share their own original links.

No sharing anyone else's without their permission. This way we better preserve the links shared here if they're kept exclusive to Kametsu. They won't get taken down so soon.

Because sharing IS caring.

Because caring is uhhhhhhhhhhh  ...sharing?

Yeah. Yeah, that's it, sharing.

It is a rule, it just gets broken left and right cuz kametsu casuals who come from redditt are capable of being scum

13 hours ago, DabDeity710 said:

It is a rule, it just gets broken left and right cuz kametsu casuals who come from redditt are capable of being scum

I've searched high and low, I don't see where that rule is actually posted. It's not in the FAQ.

I've only seen it in uploader's sigs.

Yeah, people don't practice proper nettiqette like they used to.

Shame.

19 minutes ago, gbp877 said:

I've searched high and low, I don't see where that rule is actually posted. It's not in the FAQ.

I've only seen it in uploader's sigs.

Yeah, people don't practice proper nettiqette like they used to.

Shame.

Admins and mods habitually say not to. Listening to the admins and mods is a rule. So is "don't steal" I think stealing links fits under that

9 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

Admins and mods habitually say not to. Listening to the admins and mods is a rule. So is "don't steal" I think stealing links fits under that

Yeah, I spotted the "don't steal", and thought that might be the rule you're referring to because as you said, link-stealing falls under that.

But it's kind of vague. You have to assume that someone who would steal links is kind of stupid. And stupid people miss anything that isn't spelled out for them (and sometimes even when it is)

You really should add to the FAQ to not steal links, and explain why, how it leads to the links getting taken down, etc. Also add stickies with the rule and explanation to all the download link sections.

Assume that the public are mouth-breathing five year old troglodytes when explaining anything of importance.

Edited by gbp877

Just now, gbp877 said:

Yeah, I spotted the "don't steal", and thought that might be the rule you're referring to because as you said, link-stealing falls under that.

But it's kind of vague. You have to assume that someone who would steal links is kind of stupid. And stupid people miss anything that isn't spelled out for them (and sometimes even when it is)

You really should add to the FAQ to not steal links, and explain why, how it leads to the links getting taken down, etc.

Assume that the public are mouth-breathing five year old troglodytes when explaining anything of importance.

(Big Pun voice) I'm not an admin I just post a lot

Well to be fair, what else would you be stealing from here?

Just now, DabDeity710 said:

(Big Pun voice) I'm not an admin I just post a lot

Well to be fair, what else would you be stealing from here?

Again, assume that the ones who would do this aren't bright enough to figure that out

(speaking from my own experience as a now-retired S-mod at a popular video game/emulation forum)

Just now, gbp877 said:

Again, assume that the ones who would do this aren't bright enough to figure that out

(speaking from my own experience as a now-retired S-mod at a popular video game/emulation forum)

imo, most of the people who are sharing links know what they're doing and don't care, it's ridiculous that the admins have to be so vigilant cuz of them but that's just how it is. Thank god we have ppl like Ikaros to protect Kametsu from alien invasions and hostile takeovers

• Like 1

Just now, DabDeity710 said:

imo, most of the people who are sharing links know what they're doing and don't care, it's ridiculous that the admins have to be so vigilant cuz of them but that's just how it is. Thank god we have ppl like Ikaros to protect Kametsu from alien invasions and hostile takeovers

Fair enough. I'm just trying to prevent this from happening again, drawing from my own experience.

Yeah, it isn't fair that you have to go to such lengths, and that they might not stop them anyway.

1 minute ago, gbp877 said:

Fair enough. I'm just trying to prevent this from happening again, drawing from my own experience.

Yeah, it isn't fair that you have to go to such lengths, and that they might not stop them anyway.

I recommended blacklisting new users who arrive from reddit, but not only does that seem impossible (how can we know for sure where they came from) but it's also insanely stupid and close minded. Not really sure what we can do to prevent this sort of thing except for trying to be more alert.

14 hours ago, DabDeity710 said:

I recommended blacklisting new users who arrive from reddit, but not only does that seem impossible (how can we know for sure where they came from) but it's also insanely stupid and close minded.

...then why recommend it even though you know it's stupid? Or why bring it up in the first place?

Blaming all of Reddit is a very broad and generalized accusation. The main problem is certain people from filesharing subreddits such as /r/megalinks. The remaining hundreds of millions of Reddit users have absolutely nothing to do with sharing Kametsu links. Let's say 1000 users from Reddit are sharing links from Kametsu (that's an exaggeration but you get the point). Are you really gonna blame 500> million users for the actions of a few hundred or thousand people?

Edited by Scyrous
  • Like 1

To be honest I found this place with the help of Reddit or something like it and I'd say I've been a decent member of the site 

I do get where people are coming from though,  you don't know where you stand with new members

And the more of them that show up the greater the risk one of them is going to screw everything for everyone 

I don't know what could be done short of making Kametsu a private forum and even then leaks are still possible 

45 minutes ago, Scyrous said:

...then why recommend it even though you know it's stupid? Or why bring it up in the first place?

Blaming all of Reddit is a very broad and generalized accusation. The main problem is certain people from filesharing subreddits such as /r/megalinks. The remaining hundreds of millions of Reddit users have absolutely nothing to do with sharing Kametsu links. Let's say 1000 users from Reddit are sharing links from Kametsu (that's an exaggeration but you get the point). Are you really gonna blame 500> million users for the actions of a few hundred or thousand people?

It was just a thought that surfaced and I posted it before I thought it over. And don't make it sound that ridiculous, it only takes 1 asshole to have an entire's uploader's collecion dmca'd, it only takes 1 asshole to make an uploader decide "you know what, i'm sick of this, I'm retiring" something TC did for a while so don't give me some you're gonna blame a whole community for a few assholes shit. All it takes is one asshole from that community to fuck EVERYTHING up for ours.

Edited by DabDeity710
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DabDeity710 said:

And don't make it sound that ridiculous, it only takes 1 asshole to have an entire's uploader's collecion dmca'd, it only takes 1 asshole to make an uploader decide "you know what, i'm sick of this, I'm retiring" something TC did for a while so don't give me some you're gonna blame a whole community for a few assholes shit. All it takes is one asshole from that community to fuck EVERYTHING up for ours.

You're correct. Still not a reason to blame 500 million Reddit users though. :P

2 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

It was just a thought that surfaced and I posted it before I thought it over. And don't make it sound that ridiculous, it only takes 1 asshole to have an entire's uploader's collecion dmca'd, it only takes 1 asshole to make an uploader decide "you know what, i'm sick of this, I'm retiring" something TC did for a while so don't give me some you're gonna blame a whole community for a few assholes shit. All it takes is one asshole from that community to fuck EVERYTHING up for ours.

I understand we want to enlarge our community and welcome possible contributors from reddit, but all it takes is one redditor to completely destroy OUR community, does OUR community mean nothing? All I'm suggesting is be more vigilant with reddit users, the other suggestion was an impulsive thought I almost immediately went back on

IIRC, it started out on 4chan then spilled over into reddit this last time.

If you are going to start banning reddit then why not start banning 4chan?

Heck, let's just ban anyone who is a member of any social media platform?

See where this is headed and how ridiculous it sounds?

No matter what you do somebody will find a way to screw some things up for the rest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaxxCatt said:

IIRC, it started out on 4chan then spilled over into reddit this last time.

If you are going to start banning reddit then why not start banning 4chan?

Heck, let's just ban anyone who is a member of any social media platform?

See where this is headed and how ridiculous it sounds?

No matter what you do somebody will find a way to screw some things up for the rest.

Not only that but it's essentially unenforceable. There's no way to truly trace back how someone arrived at the website, and attempting to ban any particular platform is more likely to just encourage the less scrupulous members to deliberately work around whatever methods we put in place (which they can, and will do.)

Unfortunately at the end of the day this is something that really does just come down to netiquette. We can (and do) put measures into place against automatic scraping and abuse, but if someone wants to share a link to another platform and ignore our repeated requests to stop, there's little we can do about it.

but please, people. the only results that can come of it are losing yet another valuable spot on the internet. Stop killing the things you love.

• Like 5