How to find proper cartoon episode order?

thefarmboy

I am a bit of a stickler for making sure my media collection is properly organized and that seems the hardest with cartoons. Take "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" for instance, the DVD, iTunes, and Wikipedia listings all place the episodes in different orders (some shows even have differing season listings). I was just wondering how to find official episode orders as they were supposed to be viewed (not just air date). Or, how any of you with collections goes about organizing them and do you get headaches from the same thing? Haha.

I wonder why this seems to be a common issue with cartoons.

Some of the cartoons that are currently stumping me:

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

The Fairly OddParents

Dexter's Laboratory

8 hours ago, ElementalCards said:

Go with the home video releases, the TV broadcasts are just... odd to me. Just look at Spongebob; 1 season is broadcast, then they air a new one midway... no, I have no time for that.

Wow, that does sound like a mess. Doesn't that defeat the point of a new season?
I think because cartoons are "for kids" they just care less or something.

If the show has a fan wiki they will usually know the correct episode order, for instance Teen Titans wiki

Failing that i'll go by Production order, or TV airing order is failing that

If the show has an ongoing story thread its easy enough to tell by watching it what order the episodes should be in, if the order doesn't effect that then it isn't much of a problem what order you decide to put them in

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Abandoned said:

Pretty much. And with TV's newly-adopted "bomb" format, seasons make even less sense

Never heard of that before, had to look it up. An interesting idea, definitely suited more towards shows with an ongoing story and a way to keep what's going on in mini-archs fresh. Otherwise I see issue with droughts between "bombs".

6 hours ago, EccentricOne said:

If the show has a fan wiki they will usually know the correct episode order, for instance Teen Titans wiki

Failing that i'll go by Production order, or TV airing order is failing that

If the show has an ongoing story thread its easy enough to tell by watching it what order the episodes should be in, if the order doesn't effect that then it isn't much of a problem what order you decide to put them in

Great process, I think I will follow this, thanks!

16 hours ago, thefarmboy said:

Wow, that does sound like a mess. Doesn't that defeat the point of a new season? I think because cartoons are "for kids" they just care less or something.

A lot. When it comes to binge watching, it's very crucial to watch it in order as intended.

7 hours ago, EccentricOne said:

Animes were prone to incorrect episode ordering, such as Kids WB tampering with Pokemon and Cardcaptors.

I've run on this very issue, usually I search for (title) and episode order/guide, etc. then after checking a number of guides, wikis, whatever I either go with the the order that I see most or if I find a wiki that seems like it knows it's stuff...

It can be a pain, though in the past most cartoons didn't really have any order, I mean no continuity rather. Of course with today's production if you mess up you wonder why character X is an Avenger when last an episode ago he was running from the Avengers.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tails said:

I usually organize my episodes the way that they're listed on iTunes or DVD. I mean they are both officially released in that orders, aren't they?

True, I'd go with DVD over iTunes though, I noticed several times when they misspelled episode titles, and different episode orders then DVD releases.

• 5 weeks later...