what is a good free antivirus?

ballard

i use avast at the moment and it's free. it's pretty damn good, it blocks almost all the malicious things i've come across. the only things that have made their way through are things that were new and hadn't yet been added to the virus database

Microsoft Security Essentials is working perfectly for me. Catches mostly everything and cleans. I've done background checks on it via Google, and for the most part people seem to be happy with it. Haven't heard anything bad about it, and actually it's being recommended as one of the better ones out free or paid. The best part is it's absolutely free.

I've been trying out the free version of avira, but my laptop can't really handle it... I'm going to give avast a try ^_^... Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was happy with security essentials until it let this virus get through and didn't help me with it D:

what virus did you get?

i use microsoft security essentials as well with no problems.

I don't know the name of the virus... security essentials warned me and it was to late XD... It messed up my settings and made it so I couldn't get into windows or safe mode... It just stayed at a black screen regardless of what I did... It didn't even attempt to load. It's the first virus that I've had in a really long time.

Since I have recommended my preferred anti-virus several times for the same reasons, I'll just quote myself:

I recommend Avira AntiVir, which is quickly growing in popularity, and rightfully so; it is a lightweight on the machine, its interface is easy to use and makes good sense, and it has impressive detection rates. If you can put up with the pop-up upgrade advertisement the free version presents after every auto-update, get it.

OR you could use Ubuntu. No viruses.

No thanks, I'm not much of a linux guy =)... I'm currently using the free version of avira (it was running really funky when I first installed it, but its running really good now ^_^)

But anyways :P thanks for the help everyone.

*Thread Closed*