[COMPLETED] Expected Downtime Monday Night (April 24th)

Koby

wmghAt6.png?1Nw8vWVu.pngIkarosBD EDIT: This maintenance is complete. SSL is fully enabled on the server. Note that some topics will result in a "insecure" icon, this can be disregarded - this probably means that embedded images are being included from insecure external sites, not from Kametsu's server itself.

We're giving you a heads up that we'll be inaccessible hopefully for no more than a window of 2 hours come Monday night, starting around 11 PM CT. However we expect the actual downtime to be no more than 30 minutes.

During this time, we hope to finally have proper SSL enabled across the forum thanks to @IkarosBD. We'd like to direct everyone to our IRC channel during that time to keep up with how things are progressing.

Anyways, we've opted to utilize Let's Encrypt as our SSL Certificate provider. For those unsure what SSL actually is... SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. This means no more browser warnings when attempting to login, etc... and helps make things of that nature more secure.

We hope to make this transition as quickly and as smoothly as possible. We apologize for any issues that may arise in advance and we hope you'll bear with us as we come through this on the other side and report any issues or concerns you may have so that it can be properly dealt with. Thank you for your time, and thank you for being apart of this fabulous community. It wouldn't be Kametsu without you all.

Edited by IkarosBD
Maintenance completed
  • Like 2

Just a quick followup - my hope is that we can keep the downtime minimal here, I only allocate the 2 hours so that we have time to go back and make sure things work as expected and nothing really site-breaking exists after we flip the SSL switch on.

During the downtime, what I will likely do is force everyone to a static page explaining what we're doing, that page will have a link to Kametsu's IRC channel via the IRC network's webchat on it, as well as information for connecting normal IRC clients like mIRC and HexChat to the channel. This will allow both myself and @Koby to access the site and do what we need to do to get SSL up and running with minimal interference, and provide you guys with a line of communication with us as we'll post updates to the IRC channel as applicable.

If you guys have any questions between now and then, feel free to post them in here - I'll field them as time permits so you'll have to bear with me.

• Like 1

Want a min here! Do you mean for 2 hours I have to actually go do something else in life other then Kametsu?  I feel lost! What am I going to do? Wait, never mind..... 2 hours I can spend on actually going outside and pulling some weeds.  Thanks a lot :P

Just having fun, but on the real, anything to make this place even better I'm all for it!

20 minutes ago, leatherpuppetz said:

Want a min here! Do you mean for 2 hours I have to actually go do something else in life other then Kametsu?  I feel lost! What am I going to do? Wait, never mind..... 2 hours I can spend on actually going outside and pulling some weeds.  Thanks a lot :P

Just having fun, but on the real, anything to make this place even better I'm all for it!

Could always hang out on IRC with us while it's down - the IRC is always there (gotta love multi-server networks!)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Koby locked this topic