Virus problem

Tsu.Ku.Yo.Mi

So, apart from my desktop which I mainly use, I also have a laptop. A couple of days ago I downloaded some bluetooth software from Softpedia on my laptop and that's where the problem began. Apart from (unsucessfully) installing that, it also instead MPC cleaner and several other softwares I didn't ask for. Then, every 10-20 minutes while I'm surfing on the web, something called wizzcaster.exe keeps opening up and next thing I knew I keep getting a pop-up telling my HDD's corrupted and to call Microsoft (like I'm ever doing that). I choose to ignore, and everything's fine and dandy until I get a semi-BSOD, and something about atiksmdyg.exe being corrupted (I think that's how it spelt); a simple ctrl+alt+del brings me back to the login screen and login like normal, but this problem keeps happening over and over and over. Another thing I notice is both the Sleep and Hibernate functions are disabled permanently! I really DON'T want to reboot my laptop entirely as I have a lot of photoshop work and important documents stored.  This laptop is using Windows 7.

Revert back to a previous restore point, this should fix the problem,  It has for me when I fix clients computers.

Now I also suggest, which you probably know, is get a good Internet Security software that is paid for on subscription. I recommend Bit Defender, Norton Security or ESET. Also, recommend getting Malware-bytes as well. 

I hope this works out for you,

Sounds like malware/ransomware. Can I ask why you don't want to reboot? Unsaved photoshop/documents opened or something? Or did you mean factory restoring or formating? If you don't want to reboot your laptop, try getting into the Task Manager and ending the Processes of the malware/ransomware if possible (may or may not be), and then try scanning. But if you don't mind rebooting, then booting into Safe Mode would probably be the easiest why I think, once in Safe Mode you could then scan. I'd suggest scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (both are free).

Edited by Idle
clarification

1) There is no way to fix malware issues without rebooting. Even most removal tools require rebooting in order to purge memory of the malware after it has been purged from the hard disk. SAVE YOUR WORK! and then resign to rebooting/logging out.

2) That laptop cannot be trusted anymore, even after running cleaning tools, so I would recommend just reformatting and starting over, but if you really want to...

Try to creating a new user account and run the tools from there. A lot of malware is actually specific to user accounts. It won't get rid of it, but it might make your system usable again. 

For cli, start an admin command prompt and enter:  "net user newaccount /add"    and     "net localgroup administrators newaccount /add"

3) The windows setup.exe installer does support installing windows without deleting all the data on the system. Although just backing up what you need to a flash drive and then reformatting the entire disk is a better idea.

4) For much later, Linux exists. Malware issues are rarer there but you may have to learn to use GIMP instead of photoshop unless you use wine/vbox.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:23 AM, YukinoAi said:

2) That laptop cannot be trusted anymore, even after running cleaning tools, so I would recommend just reformatting and starting over, but if you really want to...

Try to creating a new user account and run the tools from there. A lot of malware is actually specific to user accounts. It won't get rid of it, but it might make your system usable again. 

Creating a new user account and running there seem to stop getting the pop-ups and semi-BSODs but Sleep/Hiberate still disabled.

7 hours ago, Tsu.Ku.Yo.Mi said:

Creating a new user account and running there seem to stop getting the pop-ups and semi-BSODs but Sleep/Hiberate still disabled.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running Malwarebytes? PUPs that other software installs, Malwarebytes is pretty effective at locating the files and removing them since sometime they aren't showing up in the Programs list or refuse to be uninstalled altogether.

• 1 month later...

Have you solved the issue yet? If not, I can guide you through the steps probably. I had a similar issue from installing a software from softpedia. I highly suggest not downloading software from there unless it is from the external site of the software. Meaning it goes to the software's site to download. 

Let me know!

One should always be using the softwares official site to download. That said, I just tested a download of JDownloader 2 from Softpedia... there is a lot of clicking, and in the end all the "mirror" does is link you to the official webpage. As far as I can tell it seems to be ok?

Unless it has a download manager of some sorts that I haven't come across yet.

3 hours ago, Tsu.Ku.Yo.Mi said:

Bought and used Malwarebytes anti-malware premium, got rid of a lot of viruses....still can't get sleep/hibernate functions and (only on main account) semi-BSODs. other accounts don't have BSODs.

Does sleep/hibernate work on the other accounts?

I would suggest making a new account and transferring your personal data to that and making that your new primary account.