Do you think HorribleSubs are good ???

ashy1

HorribleSubs does not sub a majority of the videos they post.  They are subbed by CrunchyRoll, Funimation, etc.

If you want fast and decent anime, HorribleSubs a good source. If you want better sub quality look into versions of the anime that are from HDTV sources, some of the HDTV sources  use CrunchyRoll Subs though.

I hope this helps out a bit.

35 minutes ago, Beave said:

HorribleSubs does not sub a majority of the videos they post.  They are subbed by CrunchyRoll, Funimation, etc.

If you want fast and decent anime, HorribleSubs a good source. If you want better sub quality look into versions of the anime that are from HDTV sources, some of the HDTV sources  use CrunchyRoll Subs though.

I hope this helps out a bit.

What about their Video Quality?

HorribleSubs doesn't do anything. It's an automated process done by a bot they've coded. They simply rip the official streams from whatever source it's at: FUNimation, Crunchyroll, Daisuki, Amazon, etc...  In terms of video quality, it's what you can expect from a stream. Sometimes it's better than HDTV, but most of the time it isn't. Usually has softer lines, choppiness, etc... If you want quality, wait for the Blu-ray which is always going to be superior.

• Like 6

they do what they advertise - they simply rip the TV show with the English subtitles from Funimation, etc.  I agree with Koby, if you want better quality rips, wait for the 1080p releases on Netflix or wait for the Blu-ray, being aware that not everything that is licensed or subtitled will have English subtitles when released on Blu-ray.

In terms of video quality, the HS web rips (from whatever source) as sub-par to BD although some can be quite decent. Here's a comparison of HS to 1080p BD, filtered reencode 720p and alternative web rips:

http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=2028&comparisonId=13112&imageNum=6

Bakashots has additional comparisons of HS releases to other releases (usually BDs) if you would like to browse for them.

As for subquality, the translation is nearly always passable although some lines are occasionally just wrong. As someone who dislikes localization, I would view HS translations as superior to existing sub groups that heavily localize (like Commie and maybe FFF depending on the series) but below groups that do not (Doki).

21 minutes ago, YukinoAi said:

In terms of video quality, the HS web rips (from whatever source) as sub-par to BD although some can be quite decent. Here's a comparison of HS to 1080p BD, filtered reencode 720p and alternative web rips:

http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=2028&comparisonId=13112&imageNum=6

Bakashots has additional comparisons of HS releases to other releases (usually BDs) if you would like to browse for them.

As for subquality, the translation is nearly always passable although some lines are occasionally just wrong. As someone who dislikes localization, I would view HS translations as superior to existing sub groups that heavily localize (like Commie and maybe FFF depending on the series) but below groups that do not (Doki).

Holy crap HS/CR is so dark in those comparisons you can't see.

As for group comparisons though... Doki has shitty encodes and typically subpar subtitles in terms in typesets and styling. I'd go as far as saying Commie is typically superior to them... and I don't even like Commie. FFF are great at encoding though but they've gotten lazy about editing (last couple things I checked out were basically unchanged from Crunchyroll/HorribleSubs) and have started doing poorly with some edit choices when they're actually bothered to do some (in DanMachi for example, they added cussing into the subtitles that wasn't present in a few lines), but in terms of video quality their encodes are typically higher quality than the other groups.

Unfortunately almost no group exists that doesn't believe in localizing anymore and those that don't localize usually are known for shitty subs anyhow. Problem is any group that appears on the scene and actually does a good job usually ends up burned out within a few seasons from putting in such effort that the group doesn't last or starts doing less shows and cutting corners with their quality.

This season, I'd say Asenshi was probably the best group overall, even though the two shows they picked up, I ended up dropping... I feel they were doing the best job in terms of editing, phrasing, terminology choices, typesetting, etc.

Again though, a lot of subtitle opinions are simply just end-user opinions, based on wording and phrasing choices. So everyone has their own opinions. Like with Kabaneri, I feel DDY is doing the better job, but they've made some really dumb localization choices, so in that regard Doki was a bit better, but Doki had shit video quality and also made some dumb localization choices. Doki decided to keep Kabaneri, Kabane, and Mumei which was good in my opinion but they decided to change Iron Fortress to Ironclad Fortress for some dumb reason which is made even dumber by the fact that the official English title of the show is 'Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress' (this title also pretty much concludes that Kabaneri wasn't intended to be translated in the first place). There is other choices like this that I just found bad as well, but this was just what I remembered.

• Like 1

Lol damn, Koby's leaving no survivors! Nice explanation though.

3 hours ago, Koby said:

Again though, a lot of subtitle opinions are simply just end-user opinions, based on wording and phrasing choices. So everyone has their own opinions. Like with Kabaneri, I feel DDY is doing the better job, but they've made some really dumb localization choices, so in that regard Doki was a bit better, but Doki had shit video quality and also made some dumb localization choices. Doki decided to keep Kabaneri, Kabane, and Mumei which was good in my opinion but they decided to change Iron Fortress to Ironclad Fortress for some dumb reason which is made even dumber by the fact that the official English title of the show is 'Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress' (this title also pretty much concludes that Kabaneri wasn't intended to be translated in the first place). There is other choices like this that I just found bad as well, but this was just what I remembered.

I actually noticed most of those things in regards to Kabaneri. I watched Doki for EP 1 and 2, and DDY for 3. I also think DDY is better but the whole Mumei/No-name kinda ruins it. I personally think its weird to have one of the main characters called No-Name.

Edited by warlord8

I've found them sufficient. All they do is grab subs from somewhere else; they do not translate anything themselves. For series that're airing, they're more than enough. When Crunchyroll was first becoming a thing and HorribleSubs reared its head for the first time, I actually dislike them a lot. My favourite fansub group at the time, Dattebayo, closed down because of Crunchyroll, but due to a misunderstanding, my anger turned towards HS. 

Yeah, HS can be pretty terrible quality but that really depends upon the series and who they rip from. Some of their rips are nearly identical to the BD releases for the same series.

On 5/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, Koby said:

Doki has shitty encodes and typically subpar subtitles in terms in typesets and styling. I'd go as far as saying Commie is typically superior to them... and I don't even like Commie. FFF are great at encoding though

Bias: Doki is actually a personal favorite group of mine, with Commie being a group I personally dislike. Reason: I heavily weigh translation/localization over typesetting/styling like HEVC.

In terms of the typesetting and styling, I would agree with you that Commie is superior, as is Tsundere (Squiggy). We seem to agree that localization is just... a no-no. It feels like all Commie efforts in timing/typesetting/karaoke/editing go to waste the moment they localize so I would still view Doki's releases as "better," albeit we both agree that this is very subjective. Some people actually like localization.

In terms of encoding, I came to exactly the reverse conclusion (Doki vs FFF). Encoding is about balancing file-size, video quality, compatibility and encoding speed. There's also a difference between objective video quality and the subjective viewing experience.

Doki actually tries to balance them, but many sub-groups, including FFF, do not, and that makes Doki's encode settings more sensible.  Which do I want to watch? Which do I want to download? Many groups (Doki incl) do not even bother applying filters and I find FFF encodes overly bloated for the quality represented (typically 600-900mb for 720p). As an example, Doki uses HEVC on occasion with balances size and quality better at cost of compatibility/encoding speed. As a second example, the comparison I posted has a Yuki tag as one of the comparisons that is a 1080p->720p re-encode. I would argue that it has a better subjective viewing experience than the "objectively better quality" 1080p CBM source at 1/3 the file size (#1) with the file-size adequately justifying the 1-2% quality loss. The subjective quality is roughly par when viewed at 1080p.

Both HS and Doki have acceptable translations (usually) imo but HS is not really...archival quality due to poor typesetting.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm surprised that you guys get caught up in the little details like this. I think if I did that, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show cause Im too busy stressing over which group did the best job. Yeah I guess it makes sense to worry about that stuff when archiving. Maybe I'm just ignorant. In any case, if you going to watch a show from HS, i think its pretty safe to assume you won't be archiving. 

@ashy1 I would watch HorribleSubs for the reasons that @Beave mentioned. HS is sufficient to enjoy the show in a timely manner, and the subs/video quality are decent enough to get the story told. If you want to archive then go for a BD release. Generally it can take a frustratingly, long time for a BD release to get done. So long that you might just opt to watch HS.

Main Point: I believe its silly to wait for the perfect release...as long as you aren't archiving.

• Like 1

A lot of the recent anime I have locally on my PC are from HorribleSubs. I follow their releases since they rip a LOT of those off Crunchyroll, which I'm subscribed to. This basically enables me to decide if a certain series is, in my view, worth it to store locally or if I should keep to just viewing it on CR at my own leisure. I usually follow only the CR simulcasts each season brings, make a list of series I like, and start fetching files from HorribleSubs as they release. It's basically a convenience thing for me because their process has a release out mere minutes after CR airs a simulcast.

I've only ever fetched HR's 1080p releases, as my system is more than capable of it. I've really not had any complaints about the quality of those. Though to be fair I'm fairly lax when it comes to that. Like I said, HS is more a convenience for me since I'm a CR subscriber, and not a huge emphasis placed on quality.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, their name is misleading.  Some of the best subs I've seen come from them.  The extra effort they put into animating subs and showing an explanation of a regional term (ie Japanese slang) is something you won't find in official releases.

1 hour ago, Osprey said:

From what I've seen, their name is misleading.  Some of the best subs I've seen come from them.  The extra effort they put into animating subs and showing an explanation of a regional term (ie Japanese slang) is something you won't find in official releases.

lol. HorribleSubs doesn't do anything. They're nothing more than a ripping group. They rip the official sources: Crunchyroll, Daisuki, Funimation, Amazon, etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Osprey said:

Believe it or not but usually CrunchyRoll subtitles end up on the retail releases with a couple fixes.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...