[SOLVED]Cloning hdd to hdd

professa X

question:

is it possible to clone  from an active hdd to another hdd. i want ro clone my laptops c drive while it in use.

i dont got a desktop

and im using a optical bay caddy for my second hdd.

i am running windows 10.

i did clone it and it booted fine. almost everything was functioning. the only problem was tha the windows apps didnt work: edge, store, search/cortana, startmenu.

so could this have occured due to trying to clone while the source drive was in use?

thanx in advance

Edited by professa X

Ideally you dont want to clone a drive thats active/running so that it can copy everything without any restrictions. 

Acronis is the best I have come across, you can make a bootable USB/HDD from it and then tell it to clone a specific partition to another hard drive - and obviously it all does this outside of a windows environment. 

Alternatively if you don't want to go through the whole cloning process again, you could run something like sfc /scannow in CMD with admin rights on the windows installation where the apps/edge are not working. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Ideally you dont want to clone a drive thats active/running so that it can copy everything without any restrictions. 

Acronis is the best I have come across, you can make a bootable USB/HDD from it and then tell it to clone a specific partition to another hard drive - and obviously it all does this outside of a windows environment. 

Alternatively if you don't want to go through the whole cloning process again, you could run something like sfc /scannow in CMD with admin rights on the windows installation where the apps/edge are not working. 

i might just try this.

is acronis a paid application?

also i want to make a bootabe clone. will this work for me?

please ask me questions for more details.

28 minutes ago, professa X said:

is acronis a paid application?

It is... but im sure you can find it free elsewhere ;)

28 minutes ago, professa X said:

also i want to make a bootabe clone. will this work for me?

As long as your copy the MBR and bootsector from the original hard drive - which the cloning software will do -  (and assuming your PC can boot from USB/external devices), then you can make a bootable clone. 

14 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

It is... but im sure you can find it free elsewhere ;)

As long as your copy the MBR and bootsector from the original hard drive - which the cloning software will do -  (and assuming your PC can boot from USB/external devices), then you can make a bootable clone. 

Do u know if the trial version lets u make the honorable USB?

7 hours ago, Afternoon Nap said:

Burn a Hiren's BootCD/DVD. Boot on the DVD. In there, there are many programs for cloning or imaging disks.

Hey thanx everyone. I needed going with using acronis boot USB as mk suggested. It worked. The only issue I had was that three files were corrupted. Twinapi.appcore.dll , close.PNG, and seemingly cortanaapi.DLL. swapped twinapi.appcore.dll from my source drive, close.PNG was corrupted on my source drive as well so I copied from my brothers computer and cortanaapi.dll has a known issue on all latest builds of win 10. But all in all not too bad.

• Like 1