Why is noon considered 12PM?

Koby

This may seem like a dumb question, but think about it... Why is noon officially coined as 12PM?
When you see the below chart, maybe it'll put things into a better perspective:

• 1AM
  • 2AM
  • 3AM
  • 4AM
  • 5AM
  • 6AM
  • 7AM
  • 8AM
  • 9AM
  • 10AM
  • 11AM
  • 12PM
  • 1PM
  • 2PM
  • 3PM
  • 4PM
  • 5PM
  • 6PM
  • 7PM
  • 8PM
  • 9PM
  • 10PM
  • 11PM
  • 12AM

See what I mean? We count from 1 to 11 and suddenly 12 is different. As it's setup we're basically counting 12 to 11. So we're doing 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

I really can't be the only one am I that thinks this is silly and logically speaking noon should be 12AM and midnight 12PM to coincide with the count frame.

Why did they decide to this is? Is there some reason behind it that I don't know or I'm just not seeing?
What do you think?

The 12-hour clock is a time convention in which the 24 hours of the day are divided into two periods: a.m. (from the Latin ante meridiem, meaning "before midday") and p.m. (post meridiem, "after midday").

Given that definition, we can say it's accurate as-is, but that doesn't mean it's the logical solution either.

• Like 1

Noon can't be 12AM because 12:00:00.0001 is past noon, simple.

12h:12m means that its 12th minute of the 13th hour not 12th minute of 12th hour.

The same goes for counting frames in Aegisub. We start with frame number 0 at 00:00:00.0000 because at that time that frame did not end its display time, but if you were counting frames then you would say its frame number 1.

I hope it makes sense :3

• 2 months later...

Believe it or not, I too have wondered the same thing a few times

Also, this sudden switch also confused me a lot when I was young.

On 9/13/2015, 11:35:45, Baal said:

Noon can't be 12AM because 12:00:00.0001 is past noon, simple.

12h:12m means that its 12th minute of the 13th hour not 12th minute of 12th hour.

The same goes for counting frames in Aegisub. We start with frame number 0 at 00:00:00.0000 because at that time that frame did not end its display time, but if you were counting frames then you would say its frame number 1.

I hope it makes sense :3

Yes, but as with Aegisub, shouldn't the time too start with 00:00, instead of  12:00, because only then would it make more sense. Specially this is what it really is, and the same convention is followed in case of 24-hour format, a day starting at 00:00, instead of 12:00PM.

In fact even the division of 60 seconds & minutes seems weird to me. 10 or 100 division are easier.

Anyways, we can keep going into conventions are their endless meaningless world. But at some other time I guess.

10 hours ago, ani-me said:

Believe it or not, I too have wondered the same thing a few times

Also, this sudden switch also confused me a lot when I was young.

Yes, but as with Aegisub, shouldn't the time too start with 00:00, instead of  12:00, because only then would it make more sense. Specially this is what it really is, and the same convention is followed in case of 24-hour format, a day starting at 00:00, instead of 12:00PM.

In fact even the division of 60 seconds & minutes seems weird to me. 10 or 100 division are easier.

Anyways, we can keep going into conventions are their endless meaningless world. But at some other time I guess.

I think your a little confused!  24 hour time 00:00 is 12:00am not PM

12:00 on the dot is noon, but by the time we can conceive of it changing (less than a second) it's already after-noon.

So 12pm being 12:00 - don't think of it like that.

00:00 is midnight, 12am as the counter starts there. So it makes sense to have 12pm as noon as otherwise you'd have two different AM 12's

I hope this helps