Video Quality Thread?

StaticX

Just wondering, should we have a thread that details Video Quality and Resolution of Anime shows?

There's a thread on ADC called "List of Upscaled Anime Blu-ray Releases" that's pinned in the Anime section, maybe that might help some newbie encoders on choosing the Correct resolution.

Or would it just cause problems? Anyway it's just an Idea.

It might be hard to have a clear line on what is the correct resolution for certain anime, other than the horribly upscaled ones. It would be really hard to maintain as well. I've seen many start but pretty much all meet their end. Those are just my thoughts though.

Personally I'd like a thread of Kametsu's best members, or trusted members - so those releases that are the best you can get on these forums.

Actually, that sounds like a better idea xD

A "Trusted" usergroup

Haha sorry, didnt mean to replace your idea with my own. 

It could be something as simple as having a "Trusted/Recommended" member badge on your profile pane area, or have a separate thread thats updated with a list of members whose releases are above standard. 

It might be hard to have a clear line on what is the correct resolution for certain anime [...]

Not might. It will be near impossible. Unless you have a source from the production studio, it is hard to definitely deduce what is an upscale and what isn't. Oh, and don't forget that the userbase wants small, compressed encodes.

Of course you could just say 'x downscaled to 720p then upscaled to 1080p looks the same as the original so why not'.

Besides that... Who's going to maintain this to-be thread? They'd have to download and do convincing screenshots of releases from the various regions.

And what about the 'newbie encoders'? It's not like they bother to research potential sources for their encodes now, so what will it teach them? How to be even lazier and plop out another CBM/E-D level encode?

Personally I'd like a thread of Kametsu's best members, or trusted members - so those releases that are the best you can get on these forums. 

But what you requested would also be helpful I think for anyone who's looking for something to download. 

Oh, look who is suggesting this idea...

7DKNPmg.jpg

And in terms of video quality, I'm sure that you can try to start one (not sure in what sub-forum). It'll be tough to maintain though as JF is suggesting and will probably just incite bickering. It's probably easier to just discuss them in specific release threads or the uploader should ideally know themselves.

Edited by deanzel

It might be hard to have a clear line on what is the correct resolution for certain anime [...]

Not might. It will be near impossible. Unless you have a source from the production studio, it is hard to definitely deduce what is an upscale and what isn't. Oh, and don't forget that the userbase wants small, compressed encodes.

Of course you could just say 'x downscaled to 720p then upscaled to 1080p looks the same as the original so why not'.

Besides that... Who's going to maintain this to-be thread? They'd have to download and do convincing screenshots of releases from the various regions.

And what about the 'newbie encoders'? It's not like they bother to research potential sources for their encodes now, so what will it teach them? How to be even lazier and plop out another CBM/E-D level encode?

That doesnt make sense. Why would a studuo upscale their own anime instead of animating it in hd. The only time i can remmeber of an up scale was with fairy tail. It was obvious since the bluray was not made in japan. The same type of logic can be applied t k anyones release. If there is a actual bluray then u can find it on some japanese amazon. Or if ur intrested in dub then just check rightstuf to see if it exists.

I don't think you get it. Most scenes are animated at 720p these days. Whether they upscale it when they transfer for production or upscale when they transfer to Blu-Ray/air on television, I don't know. The end product is almost always 1080p. However, there are normally a few scenes that are natively animated at 1080p.

There have been plenty of examples of upscaled content. Mainly from the digital animation age of 2005-2007 where everything was animated in standard definition.

But what you requested would also be helpful I think for anyone who's looking for something to download. 

Oh, look who is suggesting this idea...

Haha, you would definitely be on that list as well... it's a win win so far. 

...or the uploader should ideally know themselves.

That ideal world... would be awesome. 

On the notes mentioned above, the thread about Kametsu's best/recommended/trusted (that I original suggested) could also get a bit nitpicky and cause more harm than what it's worth. Should not be as bad with a "Recommended" badge shown on your profile pane... next question is how is this status termined?. 

Sorry if this is off-topic, but if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is wrong with CBM and E-D?  As far as I am aware, their work is just fine, perhaps not archive-level quality but at that point you're better off with the ISO.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is wrong with CBM and E-D?  As far as I am aware, their work is just fine, perhaps not archive-level quality but at that point you're better off with the ISO.

E-D releases are typically blurred from bad settings. CBM often has a lot of banding and poor grain retention.

A good idea would be an index of the best release on home video for each series. It would be a long list, but it would be useful. Updates in these type of threads require in put from the community as well, since everyone has different anime/shows they are more interested in than others. If the OP becomes inactive, simply copy/paste to a new thread, and continue updating.

• Like 1

A good idea would be an index of the best release on home video for each series. It would be a long list, but it would be useful. Updates in these type of threads require in put from the community as well, since everyone has different anime/shows they are more interested in than others. If the OP becomes inactive, simply copy/paste to a new thread, and continue updating.

The problem with anything like this is 'best' is an opinion and everyone has different opinions on what that is. Some like clean images, some prefer all the grain and dirt to be left intact... just for example. Picking 'bests' easily becomes a biased thing then you end up with something like BakaBT which is nothing more than a staff-member-circle-jerk.

• Like 1