HELP - PS3 has flashing red light problem!

The Joker

I Got my PS3 (40gb) when they first came out, and been using it with no real problems (aside from my room having little to no internet signal).

That was until today. I was playing infamous and suddenly the ps3 shut down in game. I tried to turn it back on, and now all I get is a flashing red light. Looking around the internet, this is a problem other people have had, and many have been able to fix it themselves.

Does anyone know of a free guide, or can give step by step instructions to fix this myself, not really happy about paying for repairs (May as well just go get new one, once I rip out the Infamous disk)

Most gaming consoles have videos on youtube on how to fix them. At least I've noticed literally hundreds of them for the XBOX 360. I'm sure if you search there something will come up.

Does nothing show up on the TV when you try to turn it on, such as an error message or something?

Ive never heard of a red flashing light, but i have heard of the yellow light of death. so its a good thing its not yellow, if it was, then your ps3 would of been dead and you would either have to send it in or buy a new one. so at least we know its not dead, yeah check google or youtube, i wish you the best of luck man, ill look my self to try and help you out :)

Ive never heard of a red flashing light, but i have heard of the yellow light of death. so its a good thing its not yellow, if it was, then your ps3 would of been dead and you would either have to send it in or buy a new one. so at least we know its not dead, yeah check google or youtube, i wish you the best of luck man, ill look my self to try and help you out :)

Actually the yellow light of death on a PS3 is really easy to fix, my cousin had it happen to him literally about 2 weeks ago, looked on the web for some help and after he found some good advice he opened it up and fixed it in about 10 minutes.

As for the flashing red light, I haven't heard about it that much. Just read about it a bit though and it seems the red light is a problem with the hard drive. It will either be that the hard drive is dead, in that case buy a new PS3 Slim as they will be cheaper than replacing the hard drive from what I have seen, or the hard drive could just be not seated properly in its slot. If this is the case you need to fully remove the hard drive and re install it in the same way. If you wanna read more about it go: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Solve-PS3-Blinking-Red-Light-Problem?&id=2208052

or here: http://www.prlog.org/10506996-ps3-red-flashing-light-causes-and-solution-revive-your-ps3-by-fixing-red-lights-blinking-yourself.html

Hope this helps ya :)

i think i had a flashing red light last summer. I thought it must've been because of the heat but the PS3 was not as hot as I would've expected it to be. I don't really know what happened, why it did, or how it was fixed but it was just something that resolved itself. From what I can vaguely remember, it did shut off mid game or maybe it didn't shut off and froze but I do remember the red light. I remember freaking out and plugging the back cord thinking it would be really messed up but after a few it was up and running again. i hope yours is nothing serious either.