Site Banners

Flowz

The banners don't accomodate various screen sizes?

I just saw the Asuna and Kirito one, it's so cute (and also looks right to me!).

The banners are responsive. This means they condense/stretch depending on your screen resolution up to 1080p. So obviously if you're using an extremely tiny resolution it will not appear optimal. The reason for this being the case is we use a fluid design which changes width depending on resolution rather than using a fixed width. We do this to accommodate all resolutions. This way users with larger resolutions don't have half their screen being unused for example.

The banners appear fine for me on every resolution I checked, but I can understand why there would be complaints on anything less than like 1440x900. Unfortunately there isn't really any other options to take while retaining the fluid nature of the design.

We tried transparency fade on the right to have a set size for banners but I thought the result was pretty ugly myself. Alternatively we could have a pattern in the background then have the character renders separately load on top so that it appears as a full banner but then that basically comes down to the banners being nothing more than the exact same thing with just characters thrown together on transparency with text.

We will likely be changing our default theme to something else within the next year; especially with the software upgrade that is due to be out.

• Like 1

I cropping would look better rather than stretching the image.

No it wouldn't/didn't. When you end up with nothing but a background and some text that says "Ka" because it cropped 70% of the banner off due to small resolution; that's not a viable option in my book. I'd rather the full title "Kametsu" be visible.

We're handling responsiveness the same way all "2.0" web functions handle responsive design. If you don't like it you can basically blame the web for not coming up with a different solution.

Also; at no time is the banner stretched, it's at 1600 width naturally and it's scaled down for smaller resolutions. So it either displays at full resolution or it gets condensed to fit your screen. It'll never stretch/upscale the image larger than it's native resolution. The forum has a max width and min width set in place so while the design is fluid, it can never be smaller or larger than what is specifically set. It can only adjust itself between those two settings based on your window size / resolution.

I don't believe this is a big issue, and I kind of just brought it up off handedly, but I don't believe there is anything wrong with my screen. I think the characters are stretched because that was how they were put in.

It seems I was/am the only one to take notice though so it isn't really a problem since everyone seems to enjoy the banners.

These are the exact banners being used:

2m5b.jpg

2v7wduv.jpg

2yy82gp.jpg

GLbanner.jpg

bIa0sEc.png

bhMkYIb.png

cK9gmXC.png

ffbanner2.jpg

hdJOCri.png

kametsu.jpg

*Edit:

but I don't believe there is anything wrong with my screen.

It's not your computer nor the original images, haha. The banner's natural size is quite large, so it can only be seen in it's natural form with a large resolution.

If your computer resolution is smaller than the banner, it would be bad if it showed you a HUGE banner, so the script will make it smaller to match your resolution. I'm guessing that skewered-ness you're talking about is it losing it's quality during this step?

At least this is my understanding of it.

Edited by Kouhai