Favorite Old School Videogame

Tsukumo Yuma

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I almost want to say 'Shovel Knight', because...even though this game is fairly 'new'.

I'll be damned if it doesn't play like the SNES games of my youth.

It's so weird having a nostalgia boner for a game that's only like a year old.

Says something very positive to the devs who made the game.

I'm not sure if it properly counts as oldschool, but one game I enjoyed the crap out of it back in the day was the original Tenchu (well, the second one technically, but first one to be in america iirc). Though honestly I don't know if I could call it my favorite because a few years ago I tried playing it again and... Oh god, the controls were so utterly awful, and not just that but a lot of the game mechanics were all over the place (hitbox detection, clippings, autopathings, etc). So yeah, I guess I have fond memories of it because I was an ignorant kid back then, and simply nostalgia.

So moving on to a properly oldschool game, that I have actually played somewhat recently and therefore my judgement would not be clouded by nostalgia... Dragon Quest 1 (and 2). Being so old there's no "fancy" mechanics that could be badly implemented that could make the game "awkward" to play. It's just an excellent example of a bare bones fantasy RPG with everything in the right amounts to feel like a solid game. Not too many random encounters (that's somewhat debatable, but hey you can use repelent later on), the world is not too big but big enough to feel exciting to explore, enemies challenging but not ridiculous, just a few but concise spells, and overall a pretty good experience. The only complain would be something that I think that's not a problem of the game but actually something that might have been mistranslated which was, to put it shortly, the directions a few NPCs gave you to go a certain place which was the only way you could go on progressing at that point, and i remeber it saying something like "140-80 to the north eas of X city" when I found out (after giving up and searching for a guide online) that you had to go south, and not just that but that the numbers (as far as I coul tell) didn't really match up with any sort of notation you could use (not half steps, not full steps, not double steps, not anything). That was a frustrating moment in the game, but I surely enjoyed it nontheless.

Also it's worth noting that although I praised it for having "the right amount of everthing", this was not true on the actual original incarnation of the game. it was way too grindy at some parts, inconvenient for not having certain NPCs at some cities, and with much less forgiving gold income (since you lose half of what you're carrying on death, and originally you gained less gold, so it hurt more), and other deterrent details. Or at least that's what I read online, but either way I was talking about both 1 and 2 since I was referring to the cartridge that came bundled with the 2 (in which as already stated they fixed pretty much all their issues).

I was just gonna say Tenchu 1 is a crappy game that I somehow enjoyed a lot but ended up rumbling quite a bit about DQ... Whatever, since I'm at it I might as well add that the Megaman X series (barring the last few god awful titles that were pseudo 3D) is also amazing, the controls felt (and feel, since I went back to them not too long ago, so no nostalgia bias) so smooth and responsive, that's something that other games could learn about (like, ehm, Mighty no.9, huge disappointment, level desgin0s great and all but it just feels sluggish compared to Megaman X).

I'll just finish this with a brief honorable mention to the first Castlevania.

• 3 weeks later...

Chuckie Egg ( Zx Spectrum ) , TMNT 3 - The Manhattan Project ( NES ) . Legacy of Goku 2 ( GBA )   , The Curse of Monkey Island ( PC ) , The King of Fighters / Samurai Shodown ( Mame - PS 2 - Neo Geo ) and almost all retro Disney 2D side-scrollers and Mario games , just to mention a few . There are so many good retro games to choose from .

Edited by Grundy