What if Yamcha was the main protagonist of Dragon Ball series?

Zefreonnoerfez

What if? How would have the story turned out?

And to make it like a fanfic, I was thinking like, Saiyan people are originally exactly like the people of Earth who unlocked certain fighting genes(which are Saiyan genes) in themselves over the few thousand years thus making them developed into a powerful warrior race. If Akira Toriyama has used this approach, he would have made Goku and Yamcha the main protagonists with Goku being a Saiyan warrior, and Yamcha being the first human on Earth to unlock Saiyan gene. I think the story would've been much more epic cus you know, there's bound to be lots of drama and epic emotional fighting.  :2cool:  :ewhz:

What do you think? :misdoubt:

Edited by Zefreonnoerfez

Yamcha was pretty much there for gag comedy. He served a purpose in Dragon Ball which focused a bit more on that aspect, but in DBZ he might as well have not existed. His only scene time in DBZ was of him getting killed or beaten to a pulp. By the end of DBZ he was the weakest of the DBZ warriors and I doubt he was any stronger than Nappa from the Saiyan saga arc.

I'd say the weakest Z warrior goes to Chiaotzu. He was underdeveloped, underrated, was so weak and had hardly any screen time, and all the fights that he participated in ended up with him either being killed or beaten badly.

I don't really classify him as a warrior. More like a sidekick like Puar, Oolong, etc.. Aside from his self-destruction against Nappa, I can't recall him ever actually fighting.

Yes, Yamcha's mainly for comedy gimmick, I agree. But I was asking this question mainly to imply "what if Toriyama recreate or reboot Dragon Ball?" thus leading to the question of the thread. :D In the known plot, Yamcha did perfect for his punchbag role, but I would love to see Dragon Ball reboot with Yamcha and Goku as the main protagonists, kinda like Naruto and Sasuke  duo protagonist theme, cus I think after reading all of Dragon Ball, I feel that if it is rebooted, Yamcha's plot potential, story-wise and theme-wise, would make the series much more epic (referring to the fanfic plot that I wrote in the original post).

Edited by Zefreonnoerfez