Europe Is Discontent with US Internet Management

Harry-Potter

The European Union has decided that it has had enough of the American management of the worldwide web. Europe will push for diminished influence of the United States on Internet governance, claiming that it lost confidence in the US-centric model.

Screen_Hunter_01_Feb_25_11_02.jpg

European Union issued a draft policy paper, which would propose a series of steps to globalize Internet governance functions and get the United States out of it. Apparently, America has only itself to blame, because it started to believe that it ruled the world and could spy on everyone. In the meantime, the recent spying scandal has made Brussels believe that it would be better off having someone more reliable running the Internet.

According to the draft paper, large-scale surveillance and intelligence activities by the United States have caused a loss of confidence in both the Internet and its present governance arrangements.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, located in California, in currently responsible for overseeing Internet governance, including the assignment of top-level domains. The government of the United States and ICANN have a long-standing operating agreement, but this arrangement has been questioned by many countries in recent years.

A number of governments all over the world, including Brazil, China and Russia, have called for more international governance of the worldwide web in recent years. Moreover, after last year’s revelations about broad NSA surveillance programs, Brazil has even suggested to wall off its Internet traffic from American networks. However, the experts can only propose a world standard Internet controlled away from the United States. Eventually the country would have to buy into it, otherwise it would be cut off from the rest of the world.

America built the internet and made it what it is today. I don't imagine the US government is about to hand its keys over to the EU, Russia, or China regardless of what they think on the issue.

All they are going to do is wind up dividing the internet but most of the corporations who run the internet as it stands are based in America. In the end they will just risk losing access to vital functions it provides.

Well i think that an internet is exactly a inter weaved network. The fact that one nation will try to  "monopolize" it and control it is just wrong. Originally the internet was a military project true. But the internet to day is not that entirely atleast not obviously. What the internet is to day is a by-product of all nations. So for the US Gov to censor the world is just them living up to their Roosevelt world police policy.

Let me guess: Tanis and Ranma-kun are from the US...

I don't know about you guys, but I read the original article (not this one) as saying that they should 'create European services so the citizens data does not have to go through the US, and subsequently, the NSA'. Which is a bloody good idea if you ask me.

Let me guess: You've never cracked open a history book.

The Internet WAS created by the US government.

I'm not arguing the net shouldn't be more free, or that the US gov't should be less involved.

But I wouldn't want ANY control going to nations like Russia and China whose human rights and freedom of speech recorded are so horrific they make anything the current US gov't do look like a kindergartners' prank.

Edited by Tanis

This isn't about who created what. It's about spying. It's about protecting the rights of human beings. The US (more directly: the NSA) is not respecting those rights, therefore steps need to be taken to do so.

The only steps that could be taken would result in further dividing the internet but its really like trying to cut water with a butter knife. The EU could wall itself off like China has done, try to create alternatives to American websites and services but in the end its alot of money and work.

Lets see.....

Brazil hates the USA

China thinks the Internet should be censored and resents the USA for dissagreeing.

and Russia is pissed at the USA becuase of the $nowden Leaks (and probably still upset about their part in the USSR after the Cold War).

So how about a legitimate complaint from an Impartial Country?  Although, then again, after the N$@ histeria, that might be hard to find.  :confuse:

Lets see.....

Brazil hates the USA

China thinks the Internet should be censored and resents the USA for dissagreeing.

and Russia is pissed at the USA becuase of the $nowden Leaks (and probably still upset about their part in the USSR after the Cold War).

So how about a legitimate complaint from an Impartial Country?  Although, then again, after the N$@ histeria, that might be hard to find.  :confuse:

All states (i shall refer to countries as states for those of you in the United States of America :P ) are sovereign and equal, but some states are more equal than others.  Who could be trusted??

Maybe France could bring back Minitel and expand on it...

Edited by tokyo joe

The net was never free. Someone owns the physical hardware the net is composed of.

For that matter, nothing is free. The Snowden leaks illustrated that the net is NOT free.

My point is that the E.U. is going to have to build their internet from the ground up, control it, and regulate access to it if they are to protect their communications from the United States and the United Kingdom (and Russia and China).

Lets see.....

Brazil hates the USA

All states (i shall refer to countries as states for those of you in the United States of America :P ) are sovereign and equal, but some states are more equal than others.  Who could be trusted??

Maybe France could bring back Minitel and expand on it...

No Country can really be trusted.  Every Country that has the abilty to Spy, Will Spy.  The USA just happpened to get Outed recently.  So did the UK with tapping into International Communication lines, as well as Russia with downloading all Yahoo Messenger Video chat sessions.

Everybody is looking out for their own best interest and trying to monitor everyone else.  That is not going to change.  Its just not something anyone regularly talks about.  So if you give any one country that power, they will abuse it. 

There needs to be a Multi-Country organization formed that shares responsibilities and a System of Checks and Balances in place so that everyone is so far up eachother's @$$es that they barely have room to breath let alone steal and harbor information.  If that doesnt work ........... just put Canada in Charge.  I have always viewed them as mostly harmless, lol.  Do they even have a major military force?  I figured they just mind their own business and enjoy the protection they get from sharing a continent with the USA.

Just Kidding ................. well, sort of.  :grimace:

So the United Nations of the Internet then.

Some how I don't think that's going to work. Someone will always complain that one group or another has more power/control than that group would like over the system. So the same problems just framed slightly differently.

The fact that the UN has difficulty doing things in the world is due to the opposition of key members with the UN security council. So due the nature of the internet being the fast evolving thing that it is. It would be a bad idea to join it with a very slow moving organization such as the UN. Nothing would get done. Ever.