Looking for a 'non sportsy' sports anime~

Breathless

Hello~.

I'm looking for a 'non sportsy' sports anime. And what I mean by that is an anime that has a competitive feel to it, but isn't your classic soccer/baseball or whatever anime.
Good examples of these are;

Chihayafuru - It's about competitive '100 Poets'.
Hikaru no Go - It's about competitive Go.
Saki - It's about competitive highschool Mahjong.
Bakuman - It's about writing manga, and trying to get it serialized.

Those are the only ones that come to mind, haha. If anyone could point me to any more, that'd be awesome! :3

Curses, your first two examples were the ones I was going to recommend... Well, I still have some others up my sleeve!

Akagi - Mahjong

Kaiji - Trying to not be killed by crazy gambling fun

Giant Killing - Soccer anime, one of the better ones out there.(I know it doesn't fit your request but still is amusing)

And if you want manga writing ones, try Genshiken. They are also airing a new season of it, so might be up your alley.

• Like 1

Just made my way through the first three episodes of Akagi. I can't believe I skipped this because of the art, ahah. It's got a nice feel to it.
Kaiji is by the same mangaka, so I'll put that on my to-watch list aswell.
I've already read / am reading Giant Killing and Genshiken. I really enjoyed those two as well. I'll check out their anime counterparts.

Thanks for the recommendations, Pretty sure I would have ignored Akagi / Kaiji if you hadn't mentioned them. c[:

Just made my way through the first three episodes of Akagi. I can't believe I skipped this because of the art, ahah. It's got a nice feel to it.

Kaiji is by the same mangaka, so I'll put that on my to-watch list aswell.

I've already read / am reading Giant Killing and Genshiken. I really enjoyed those two as well. I'll check out their anime counterparts.

Thanks for the recommendations, Pretty sure I would have ignored Akagi / Kaiji if you hadn't mentioned them. c[:

They are series that a lot of people look over, which is sad due to how awesome they are. I can honestly say that I have never watched a series with a better narrator.

• 2 weeks later...

Give Kaleido Star a try. It's  one of my favorite anime ever.

The story is about a girl who wants to make it big in a circus-like environment. Well, more like circque de soleil like. Anyways dont get scared away by the cover or anything. This show is pure gold and probably one of the most underrated shows since only few know about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...