What we can learn from anime?

lily yonng

Now this topic is very heavy on what type of anime you watch lol. you could learn such a wide variety of things. Love, hate, relationships, drama, anger, happiness. thinking out side of the box. It all just depends on your personal view of an anime. For you only learn what you wish to learn.

................Wow.   Some of this stuff you all said is just out there.  I don't know who to quote.  So I have to ask is how anime taught you such things. 

How did anime teach you that humans are all evil things.  Its fiction.

How does anime prov what Japan is like once again its fiction. 

I'm not trying to be a dick I just noticed that these things are oddly specific so i'm curious how you came to these conclusions.  

Other wise I see anime as more of a door way not any thing else.  It can introduce another culture and due to the fact they live differently even ideas.  How ever after that I don't think anime is a good indicator of how any one in Japan lives there lives. 

Its a good way to broaden your individual horizons as it introduces something new yet media from almost any culture can do that.  The reason why anime is more prolific than lets say German's version of the times is fact that In Japan there more dedicated to there work.  Like those who create manga or anime.  

Edited by shadowtheman

I learned that anime is a fun way to watch huge explosions, big action sequences, cool stories, and colorful character's without having to judge the special effects or budget of the creators because it's all animated. It's also a nice escapes from the droll of reality and fun to watch with friends.

................Wow.   Some of this stuff you all said is just out there.  I don't know who to quote.  So I have to ask is how anime taught you such things. 

Yeah, I dunno. I consume a lot of media (not necessarily anime), I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say, "I read eight million books and it proved to me that all humans suck", haha. I think there might be some confirmation bias--if you're inclined to dislike people, then you'll want to seek out media that reaffirms this belief.

There is some insight you can gain from watching the media of another country, but it wouldn't paint a complete picture. You always hear those stories about people who consumed loads of US media and think they understand exactly what kind of people we are, when really they just understand a small portion of it that might be loaded with tons of stereotypes and tropes that, without background knowledge, might lead people astray.

I will say that learning about how Japan views anime has been pretty interesting. I know in these circles it's all fine and well to have huge collections of manga and anime, but in Japan that's a little weird and might be unacceptable. There's so much cultural disconnect when there are people whose only impression of Japan comes from anime and it's interesting to watch things unfold, if occasionally sad and weird.

There's a manga (anime??) about a dude who, like, totally idolised Japan and thought it was some massive anime theme park. You know the kind--happily called himself otaku, wanted to become a manga-ka.

He was in for a real surprise when he went to Japan and discovered that, whoops, being an otaku is a major bad thing and being into anime too much means you're irresponsible and almost a social pariah. I've seen some scans floating around Tumblr, it looks interesting.

Yeah, I dunno. I consume a lot of media (not necessarily anime), I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say, "I read eight million books and it proved to me that all humans suck", haha. I think there might be some confirmation bias--if you're inclined to dislike people, then you'll want to seek out media that reaffirms this belief.

There is some insight you can gain from watching the media of another country, but it wouldn't paint a complete picture. You always hear those stories about people who consumed loads of US media and think they understand exactly what kind of people we are, when really they just understand a small portion of it that might be loaded with tons of stereotypes and tropes that, without background knowledge, might lead people astray.

I will say that learning about how Japan views anime has been pretty interesting. I know in these circles it's all fine and well to have huge collections of manga and anime, but in Japan that's a little weird and might be unacceptable. There's so much cultural disconnect when there are people whose only impression of Japan comes from anime and it's interesting to watch things unfold, if occasionally sad and weird.

There's a manga (anime??) about a dude who, like, totally idolised Japan and thought it was some massive anime theme park. You know the kind--happily called himself otaku, wanted to become a manga-ka.

He was in for a real surprise when he went to Japan and discovered that, whoops, being an otaku is a major bad thing and being into anime too much means you're irresponsible and almost a social pariah. I've seen some scans floating around Tumblr, it looks interesting.

It reminds me of some fans I've come across.   I think there called weaboos.(note if you call your self a weaboo and your not like this I mean no offense.)  I can emagine that all types of media has its version of over done fans.  People who over emphisise what little can be learned from anime, and go under the assumption thats all there is to Japan. 

I know that anime can be a vary good infjuence.  Mainly due to how Japan views its morals.  Heck most villains in anime don't cuss, abuse or act like a total A!! to infuse the fact there villains.   Most act on real thought.  This is also why anime isn't the best for 4 year olds and under.  Anime is just more mature then most other films and show pruduced by others.  By giveing realistic reasons why poeple are they way they are, moral or not poses a better example then a show that forces a messege down its auddiences thoats. 

I have for this reason, perposely shown my niece anime since she was 5.  The type with strong willed real female leads, fun adventures with an important moral and I think shes better off for it.  Now she loves shows like Soul eater and lucky star.  :embarassed:

• Like 1

That is definitely one thing I like about Japanese stories. Villains and protagonists are rarely shown as pure evil--Miyazaki actually talked about how his stories aren't about "good versus evil", but rather the coexistence of such. It's definitely something I've noticed in a lot of stories from Japan, whether as a manga or video game.

Another concept I find interesting is, at least with US media, conflict is vital to our storytelling. We always tell ourselves that a good story has a compelling and interesting conflict to it. In Japanese media, though, stories without conflict or confrontation are told all the time and it's not considered "weird" or "artsy".

we learn to hope and dream , and that while life will always suck  you should never give up oh and after you die if you lucky you become an angle of death XD

lol but now i find it interesting exactly how much the Japaneses subconscious fear of  nuclear war and Christianity widening away at its culture and Shinto traditions shows up in  anime, as well a general distrust of politicians. there is never a good politician.

Another concept I find interesting is, at least with US media, conflict is vital to our storytelling. We always tell ourselves that a good story has a compelling and interesting conflict to it. In Japanese media, though, stories without conflict or confrontation are told all the time and it's not considered "weird" or "artsy".

Origanaly they say that with out confilct there is no story.  This is a vary, vary old idea.  The knigh vs the dragon, A person vs there personal flaws and so on.  This one idea that only conflict can create a story has been the standard they teach in schools for centuries. 

I gues thats something anime can teach us in recent years.  Only for about 5 years slice of life animes have defined an idea that you don't usually need conflict to create a great story.   Maybe, just maybe anime will become a vehicle for a new style of story telling that will go against the old styles that have been going on for hundreds of years and help others produce new styles that promote a more healthier media culture. 

One can only hope. Although I do like the classic story of good triumphing over evil I think most of us seem to side with the anti-hero or the quote unquote bad guy these days anyways. Look at Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me, and Dexter. All those show's protagonists are either the lesser of the two evil's or evil themselves in a way.

I guess what I'm saying is I kinda agree with you on the whole the story doesn't have to have conflict to make me watch it. Although those stories sometimes end up being the best ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to "normal series", I especially like the abnormal/weird/crazy stuff in animes.

Those ideas like a remote segway with mps mounted or all those ideas about the next evolutionary steps of mankind, contact and confrontation with aliens and stories of a possible galactic future.

Animes extend my ways of imagination like no other series do, with a little dark side: Sometimes, being human is not enough for me. ;)