IP server setup... the goombas want to be in space.

Minkseru

Ok so I seem to have an issue with setting up the server.  My wife's computer runs the wireless router, and for whatever reason Ubuntu is not automatically connecting.  Trying to manually setup the wireless route access I will admit I am kind of beyond lost.  any helpful suggestions.  Oh and to answer a few standard questions, two computers ago the wireless router worked on ubuntu, it works on this machine's windows 7, and the wireless is reading so long as I am in Windows, but it does not want to automatically be read by Ubuntu. Ok so please fire any tidbits you might know that could help me manually set up the wireless router.  Thank you very much in advance. Otherwise me and the goombas are getting along better.

That some very vague information. Connecting could mean a few things like IP, subnet, gateway and DNS settings OR what JohnFlower said it could be to the access point.

The oblivous reasons are wrong password entered or you just need a new driver for your wireless card.

And yeah just follow what JohnFlower posted, there should be a wireless management tool that you can use. Or you could do the ol' terminal way if you feel confindent.

I guess I just don't understand your problem, because Windows has never just connected to my wireless router the first time. I've always had to at least type in the encryption key to connect to it. All you should need to connect to your router is the SSID, encryption type, and encryption key. Did you set the SSID on the router to be hidden, if that's the case ubuntu is probably unable to see it.

I haven't used ubuntu for awhile now, but have you checked its network manager. It may not even see your wireless card if the drivers are wrong. There could also be a box in the network manager that must be checked to activate wireless networking. I think I remember seeing something like that the last time I used ubuntu. 

• Like 1

Actually talked to my dad, thank heavens for techy fathers, but actually L4ugh I am trying to install the drivers for my Linksys ae1200.  apparently they never made linux support for that card :/.  Found a backdoor way to rewrite my network driver for linux.

Rewrite? If there is no support for Linux, that's about it. There is likely only one solution (stated on various sites), and that is to attempt to run the Windows drivers with ndiswrapper. The guy at askubuntu makes a valid point:

In general, it is best to buy devices after finding out their level of support.

Granted, you may have had this dongle for a while now, perhaps it is time for an upgrade? I personally prefer something with native support rather than some hacked version.

Maybe a new one might be better, since they are dirt cheap now days. I saw an N600 Dual band Netgear one on sale for $9 at my local computer store when I came to buy my nVidia GTX 680 GPU.

As JohnFlower said, hacked up support is pretty shit. Expect loads of performance degrades and dropouts if the hacked up one isn't stable.

actually as John said it would have to be ndiswrapper, but I have to rewrite some of it according to some of the forums.  As I have been unable to make it work out, I am going to instead for now grab the things I need for my unix browser, put them on my external, and just boot into it.  I am also having a problem with the new layout of Ubuntu.  Turning too much into 7 which I was trying to get away from.

So may try Fedora.

If you don't like the Unity desktop that Ubuntu comes with, you could always install a different one. There are plenty to choose from. Fedora will probably come with gnome 3 which won't feel all that different from Unity. It's kind of hard to recommend one because they all have there own special features. It really comes down to what you need in a desktop and finding the one that offers it. If you really wanted to you could leave out the desktop environment and just run a window manager. This option usually requires a greater willingness to tolerate configuring the way it looks without the use of a pretty gui, but you will usually gain a snappier system since you're no longer bogged down with the DE.  

No sorry, I don't use Fluxbox anymore. I will see if I can find a screenshot of my setup. Also I think Fluxbox using fbcompose is more nicer, well I can't really say about compton since I have not used it. But Fluxbox was very minimalistic, used it for my old laptop which is a Pentium M 1.6GHz and was able to run it quite well using Archlinux of course.

Edited by Ang3lofDarkness