Is this Section Dead?

Anras Rune

Right, before I get too the question let me explain a little why I'm asking this. When I joined here back in 2010 this place was chock a block with stories; people posted chapters, sign ups or new stories almost every other day. Hell, I even posted my first forum story with Razor, which was one of the most viewed stories in this sub fora, back in those hey days. 

So I know that compared too then the section is dead. But in the past we tried bringing it back to a semblance of its former self with KALS, which worked for a while. Server issues, loss of the chatbox, etc etc led to another decline again and here we are.

Now I've been looking at the section. Of all the newest topics there are very few actually stories or literature work of any kind really. Of those that are literature, I think there is one with over 200 views since being made, and that was back in November. Its in dire straits.

Now I come to the question. Is this section dead? I mean, there is so little activity here its dismal. The last post (before this one of course) in some actually literature related was 6 days ago. Which maybe doesn't sound bad, but when the oldest post you'd find back in the day was never more than a few hours, maybe a day old, it is kinda bad.

So what do you guys and gals think? I mean, does anybody ever even come in here other than the small number that I know do? If so, why do you never make your presence felt? Is there something we could do too revitalise this place? Looking for peoples opinions here, yet I feel there won't be much traffic anyways... T-T

View counts indicate some measure of traffic. I've noticed on AO3 there is a similar trend. People are viewing and leaving kudos on my fan works, but they are not commenting. I post my fan works on Tumblr, it's the same thing. People are reblogging and liking the posts, but they aren't commenting. Others have experienced the same, to the point it's become a negative against AO3 in comparison to FFN, where people seem to feel more compelled to comment.

Every once in a while we'll get a new person who says they don't like to talk a lot and prefer to lurk. If most of our active userbase are lurkers or think their voice doesn't deserve to be heard for fear that it "all has been said before", then it becomes difficult for other users to get the ball rolling and start talking. People can be reluctant to speak in a community that seems quiet or dead, contributing to the continuing slump of activity, becoming a cycle. Someone has to break the cycle, and that unfortunately requires speaking to an empty room for a while until someone else joins in. Activity begets activity, and silence begets silence.

Sometimes I'll begin drafting a reply, think about it for a while, and then change my mind. I'll convince myself no one cares what I have to say or that they don't like to hear from me or read my walls of text and the very sight of my avatar sends people into a rage. Either way, I withhold my comments.

People looking in might see some level of hostility in the contest threads and feel reluctant to post, believing that hostility may carry over to the rest of the subforum. It certainly made me reluctant in my efforts to reach out to people and foster discussion, that if I say the wrong thing or form the wrong impression, I'll be immediately faulted and picked apart.

With that in mind, I have little idea what to do to help this section and I feel that people do not want me to attempt to help. If anyone does come up with anything, though, you all have my support and I will do what I can to facilitate the efforts.

View counts indicate some measure of traffic. I've noticed on AO3 there is a similar trend. People are viewing and leaving kudos on my fan works, but they are not commenting. I post my fan works on Tumblr, it's the same thing. People are reblogging and liking the posts, but they aren't commenting. Others have experienced the same, to the point it's become a negative against AO3 in comparison to FFN, where people seem to feel more compelled to comment.

Every once in a while we'll get a new person who says they don't like to talk a lot and prefer to lurk. If most of our active userbase are lurkers or think their voice doesn't deserve to be heard for fear that it "all has been said before", then it becomes difficult for other users to get the ball rolling and start talking. People can be reluctant to speak in a community that seems quiet or dead, contributing to the continuing slump of activity, becoming a cycle. Someone has to break the cycle, and that unfortunately requires speaking to an empty room for a while until someone else joins in. Activity begets activity, and silence begets silence.

Sometimes I'll begin drafting a reply, think about it for a while, and then change my mind. I'll convince myself no one cares what I have to say or that they don't like to hear from me or read my walls of text and the very sight of my avatar sends people into a rage. Either way, I withhold my comments.

People looking in might see some level of hostility in the contest threads and feel reluctant to post, believing that hostility may carry over to the rest of the subforum. It certainly made me reluctant in my efforts to reach out to people and foster discussion, that if I say the wrong thing or form the wrong impression, I'll be immediately faulted and picked apart.

With that in mind, I have little idea what to do to help this section and I feel that people do not want me to attempt to help. If anyone does come up with anything, though, you all have my support and I will do what I can to facilitate the efforts.

Lol, I didn't know either of the sites you referenced in you post there till I looked them up. But I see what you mean. But at least you are getting likes, a system we didn't have back in the day but have now. I mean just leaving likes would be a good way to tell the writers that have stuff up here that their work isn't just being ignored.

The lurking problem is something I feel we won't be able to address easily, as you pointed out. But that is the reason I posted this thread in the first place, too try and show that lurking and not doing anything is more detrimental than just leaving a simple "keep up the good work" or other cliché post, so to speak. 

As too the conflict in the contest threads, everyone involved already knows my opinion I think. I found it immature and quite frankly pathetic at the amount of nitpicking that went on there and wouldn't mind if all but Paddy's initial post was deleted. At least that way the rest of the section isn't at fault because of the crap that enveloped that thread.

Now I'm not staff (despite me practically living here for three years and being boss, lol) but maybe a staff thread could be made to discuss the problem? My suggestion would be to put something in the sub forum rules about leaving either a like or a comment in things you read too at least acknowledge that you did so. Maybe even change the sub forums description with something like "Drop a comment or like too show our writers their work isn't for naught" or along those lines, bit like the "Note:" bit in the anime and manga section, but not a warning...

Or maybe a message that pops up when you come into the sub forum, like the announcement thingy under the banner that says the same thing. 

I mean, its a start. I'd love too see this place come alive again. I mean, I basically lived in this section back in its hay day and have fought to keep it going. Bit like the RP section in retrospect. 

The reason I don't post half the time in this section is because it DOES get ignored, gets a bunch of views but no replies or likes so it's like... Well why bother really, I could post up probably 5 things right now but I won't simply cause I know they won't get views or any attention. I'm still doing the Dead Space thing here only because it got some replies otherwise that would've been canned too. So that's my reason for never making my presence known here.

I have neglected to post for that very reason, though when I can, i update my stories for those who might still give a crap. For the most part i am disappointing to not even get a "i like this story keep it up" or a "this is a good story"

there just isn't the interest anymore, and that saddens me

• Like 1

I have neglected to post for that very reason, though when I can, i update my stories for those who might still give a crap. For the most part i am disappointing to not even get a "i like this story keep it up" or a "this is a good story"

Agreed, it's offputting to get no feedback, not even a simple one line reply of the things you said. I'd gladly post up everyday if I knew it was going to be read

Edited by Dark_Angel13

I don't think the section is entirely dead, however it is nowhere near as active as it used to be. My problem is that I have too many ideas, and not enough time to write them all. and coming up with an intro post for some of them is difficult. One of them I know would make a good RP if there was more interest in that section.

The hardest thing for me is balancing free time and work time. There is not enough of the former, and too much of the latter sometimes. I'll see about getting at least one of my stories up soon.

• Like 1

The reason I don't post half the time in this section is because it DOES get ignored, gets a bunch of views but no replies or likes so it's like... Well why bother really, I could post up probably 5 things right now but I won't simply cause I know they won't get views or any attention. I'm still doing the Dead Space thing here only because it got some replies otherwise that would've been canned too. So that's my reason for never making my presence known here.

Both you guys are in the same boat as me it seems. I've been doing loads of writing recently and have even bothered to post one of the stories up here. About the only person that has commented is EO (thank you!) and nothing else. It does get ignored. SO I say, lets be the first to start reading through it all and opening the door for more activity! lol

I don't think the section is entirely dead, however it is nowhere near as active as it used to be. My problem is that I have too many ideas, and not enough time to write them all. and coming up with an intro post for some of them is difficult. One of them I know would make a good RP if there was more interest in that section.

The hardest thing for me is balancing free time and work time. There is not enough of the former, and too much of the latter sometimes. I'll see about getting at least one of my stories up soon.

I still feel that the RP section could use help, lots of help. I've tried a multitude of times, but at the moment I'd rather focus on here. So this place don't die like the RP section.

But yeah, juggling time is and always has been an issue on here, but that doesn't stop people from dropping praise/criticism and a like or two whenever they come into the section. Of course, from a writing standpoint time is the deciding factor, but if we can get this place more traffic then taking a couple of weeks to post a new chapter shouldn't matter all that much as there would be other stuff too read.

But yeah, you guys have all said the problems but can you think of any solutions?

PS: Kudos, as I've already seen some modicum of extra activity since yesterday...lol 

• Like 1

I guess I did help with the decline of this section a fair bit, but to be fair to myself, I still don't find my fanfiction compelling enough to be posted or shared with the internet at large. That being said, I do have some ideas for challenges that we could do. Not contests, just challenges designed to get this place rolling again.

The whole concept is pretty simple, with /very/ few restrictions, and lots of freedom for the participants and host. There would be a list of 25-30 terms, whether they be verb, adjective, noun or otherwise would be determined by a word list generator, and it would be a monthly challenge. The participant would post that they're interested in participating, and would choose a few word prompts, then would write pieces based on their interpretations of the prompt. There would be an index of the pieces kept in the first post, and people just lurking would be welcome to post. The only prize would be a little sig pixel, and just for participating. The whole idea behind it is to get people writing and posting in here. Maybe if there's something like this going on, people will feel more welcome to post other stories and pieces in here. There could also be a smut version of this for the mature section, only with kinks listed instead of word prompts > u>

The basic idea is just having a laid-back monthly challenge, instead of a structured contest that rubs people the wrong way. No required plot. No required characters. Just an interpretation of a single word.

• Like 2

Well, considering the history this section has with making challenges, then proceeding to destroy them in the most ridiculous fashion, I'm not sure I'm for the monthly challenge thing. I still stand by the old literature section, which didn't have a single challenge/contest thread in it and was inundated with user created stories left right and centre. Competitions, imo, were the reason for the death of this place after the forum came back, as people began paying attention to them only and not their or other's work.

In other words I agree with Mal. I mean I would love to complete all my stories on here, that would be awesome. But it is time consuming, obviously. I say we just try and encourage people to post their stuff and get this place a little more activity before even bothering to try any competitions.

It's your ~vision of a lit section goneby~ that's part of the reason why it will remain dead though. You want it to live or what? You saying that people can't even write their interpretation of a single word? Because that's what I'm getting from what you've said. Was this thread made just to cry about how the good ol' days are gone, or do you actually want to do something? I'm not intending to sound mean or confrontational. I'm honestly curious.

• Like 2

What got me writing regularly were the gifts I was doing for the Homestuck Secret Santa. Even if I didn't like the prompt or didn't get it, it was enough to make me put pen to paper. It also ameliorated my agitation about sharing my work.

If we had an ongoing prompt list like Loki mentioned, I'll probably do a series of one-shots in response. Of course one shots can easily evolve into something more, so if it happens, it happens. If not, drabbles and flash fiction should be enough, especially for people short on time and inspiration. Impromptu writing like this would be a quick infusion for the section while we wait on long term projects to be posted.

I do have big projects like 39, but I'm not going to be posting a lot of that because of heavy editing. By the time I finish, it's not going to look remotely the same.

• Like 2

Yeah, it would be intended for the pieces, if they're prose, anyway, to be one shots or flash fiction, or a character study or pretty much whatever. And it could be either original or fanfiction. Pretty much anything could be done.

I mean, I do have my own big projects going on, some of which will be posted, but editing plus the tiny doubt going "is this really what you want to share?" delays it all. Coupled with the fact that I was gone for wuite a while, you get a recipe for not posting anything.

Edited by Loki

I think it's exactly like Loki says.

editing plus the tiny doubt going "is this really what you want to share?" delays it all. Coupled with the fact that I was gone for wuite a while, you get a recipe for not posting anything

I might be wrong here but I think the most fundamental reason why this section is so quiet is because everyone is so modest. Or maybe they're shy, scared, or something. Regardless, it looks like people are actually still writing but rather not posting. It's understandable though, I mean why post in a ghost-town when there are other places on the internet to show off your works! Besides, if there is nothing given back after posting what's the difference to having it stored on your HD.

Another thing - that I know I'm guilty of, is that it's just funner to write then read. Or atleast I think so. So when I read someones story, after the first paragraph I'm thinking of what I would do with the story rather than where the story is actually going. So I'm more inclined to do my own thing then read someone else's. I think that's just me though, LOL.

Anyway, I shall press on with some of my ideas. Hopefully I'll have a few things up. I've got something stuck in the back of my mind, not sure how I want to do it but I think it might help this section. No harm trying, right?

It's your ~vision of a lit section goneby~ that's part of the reason why it will remain dead though. You want it to live or what? You saying that people can't even write their interpretation of a single word? Because that's what I'm getting from what you've said. Was this thread made just to cry about how the good ol' days are gone, or do you actually want to do something? I'm not intending to sound mean or confrontational. I'm honestly curious.

Actually, thank you for that. I say this because this is exactly the attitude I was on about. I just said that I'm not sure about competitions because people fly off the handle and then you proceed to do exactly that.

Look. I don't give a f**k how the literature section stays afloat, as long as it stays afloat. I'd prefer it to be on the merit of people writing things they have vested interest in. But if it has to become full to the brim with gimmicks and the likes then by all means. What worries me is that we get a repeat of the competition thread Paddy made, or the complete lack of interest in independent works that other competitions have brought on. I haven't left the lit section since I've been here and I don't plan too in the future. 

And on a side note, I feel I've tried more times in this section than pretty much anyone else other than an obvious few. So do not question my dedication to what I'm trying to do. I don't flit about and come back only too nitpick, nor do I sit silently and do nothing at all about anything. This thread was made cause no one and I repeat no one seemed too, as always, give an utter f**k about this section.

• Like 1