Your Newyears resolutions?

NickthePwn3r

I don't know man... I've been contemplating learning a new language for the longest times. The only problem with that, is that it takes major dedication. I'm already in school and I have other things to study so adding something else could be a problem. Then they say you should get total immersion via living in the country where they speak it. I really don't want to leave and live in another country lol. That costs money ha. I WISH IT WAS EASY AS JUST LISTENING TO AUDIO FOR 30 MINUTES A DAY!!!

So yeah I'm not sure...

Edited by lolrawr

What language do you want to learn, lolrawr? Even if you can't go for total immersion and travel abroad, there are always people who are learning new languages and are willing to help you out. There's always people who are willing to do a swap, too--they teach you their native tongue and you teach them English.

I'd like to do better about maintaining my Arabic now that I'm sufficiently separate from the military and no longer resent the language. Maybe write a bit more instead of being a lazy bum. I'd also like to get my novel edited and in a condition I'm willing to show people to. Maybe actually get a job or exercise (as if, omfg, haha).

EDIT: try rosetta stone it works pretty well

Really? I always hear that it's one of the worst out there lol. I hear it's ok when you want to know how to say common phrases and such, but when it comes to actually understanding and speaking fluently, it falls flat.

What language do you want to learn, lolrawr? Even if you can't go for total immersion and travel abroad, there are always people who are learning new languages and are willing to help you out. There's always people who are willing to do a swap, too--they teach you their native tongue and you teach them English.

SPANISH! Yeah most of my friends speak Spanish. I want to one day surprise them.

• Like 1

Me...I don't have one. Sad but true. I'm not going to give myself impossible goals to reach and then feel bad for myself when I don't reach said goals. So many people give themselves goals that are ridiculous and they will never reach them. So if I would have to give myself a goal to reach...it would have to be... My goal then will be not to give myself any goals or high expectations, and live each day the way I want to on that given day.

Haha, that shouldn't be too hard to attain some level of fluency. What dialect of Spanish were you wanting? I'm not too familiar with the variations of Spanish or how similar they are, so maybe that's a dumb question, haha.

Definitively Latin American Spanish ha. Castilian is cool, but I don't think it will be that important here in the US. If I ever go to Spain though, they'll probably look down on me for sounding ghetto. :P

Edited by lolrawr

I don't really set "New Year's Resolutions." I just kind of reflect on the past year, and try to think of things I could do to make this year better than the last. They're not really "goals;" just kind of ideas.

I want to read more, hopefully exercise more, make new friends, work harder at my job, and go outside my comfort zone to try new things. Also, I'm planning a trip to a convention in New Jersey. I'm sure I'll meet new, wonderful people there; and it's my first time traveling alone, so that'll be exciting. This year, I'd like to do more brave things like this trip.

Edited by poetictragedy

I don't really set "New Year's Resolutions." I just kind of reflect on the past year, and try to think of things I could do to make this year better than the last. They're not really "goals;" just kind of ideas.

I want to read more, hopefully exercise more, make new friends, work harder at my job, and go outside my comfort zone to try new things. Also, I'm planning a trip to a convention in New Jersey. I'm sure I'll meet new, wonderful people there; and it's my first time traveling alone, so that'll be exciting. This year, I'd like to do more brave things like this trip.

I don't set goals...to depressing when they fail. "Make new friends" is not something I'd do. All my friends are online...sad but true. I hope to Minkseru, Sakura, and I finally owning a house instead of renting. It'd be bigger and enough to have a bedroom for me and Minkseru.

I do make myself goals, and then cry myself to sleep immediately after.

For example, in 2010 I figured "I want to learn the guitar!" So at the end of the year I bought a guitar as a sort of Christmas present to myself. I guess you can say 'Learning the Guitar' was my new years resolution, and I had a fool-proof plan to make it happen. If I buy an expensive guitar, I'll be forced to play it. Right? I mean... Otherwise it's a waste of money. Well, it turned out to be 'otherwise' haha.

I'm a lot better at the goals I can see instantly and gradually. Like making gfx I can see myself improve. *coughcough*

I don't set goals...to depressing when they fail. "Make new friends" is not something I'd do. All my friends are online...sad but true. I hope to Minkseru, Sakura, and I finally owning a house instead of renting. It'd be bigger and enough to have a bedroom for me and Minkseru.

Well, I've recently made some new online friends, that I will be meeting in New Jersey. Online friends count toward making new friends, in my book. :3

I'm a lot better at the goals I can see instantly and gradually. Like making gfx I can see myself improve. *coughcough*

Yeah, I like to set small, general goals. Because they're easier to attain, and thus, make me feel more successful. I'd also like to live cleanlier (like cleaning my room more often, and actually putting things AWAY) and be a better mommy to my bunnies.

Haha, well, it'd probably help to make specific goals, something you can measure. So instead of, say, "learn to play the guitar", you can say, "I'll know how to play a dozen songs by the end of the year" or "I'll learn six songs by ear". Speaking of, I should probably pick up my clarinet again, omg, haha.

I know I'm planning at least 50 hours of editing this month for my novel (NaNoEdMo calls for 50 hours, so that's where I'm starting), which means about two hours of editing a day to account for some off days. Depending on whether I get a job at the library and whether my hours change, I'm hoping to be able to stick around after that to do my editing, since I'm pretty much anti-productivity in my apartment.

But yeah, it's more of a to-do list than any real resolution for me too, haha. I'd like to reconnect with friends I've drifted away from since being in the military, but I'm really lazy about hanging out with people, derp. And being cleaner would defo be nice, haha. I just hate feeling like I'm the only one cleaning up for three people. Makes me resentful, yo.

Best way to avoid cleaning for everyone is to adopt what I call the "Mom" face, pick a person who needs to clean, smack them lightly on the shoulder with a paper towel roll, and tell them to clean.

Disclaimer: This technique is untested among roommates and straight couples, use with caution. Possible side effects include alienating friends and sleeping on the couch.

Haha, I've found that most men I've dealt with under the age of thirty who aren't also at least a little bit gay find it exceedingly difficult to regularly clean or care about the state of their living quarters. It might just be military men, but this state of filth seems common enough. It's like, "Oh what's the big deal, it's just a little messy" and then three weeks later, "I can't find [some item] in the massive piles of papers everywhere". I alternate between being deeply offended by messes and being uncaring about them, whoops.