Writing Blogs

Anras Rune

Well, I know there is quite a few people on here that have blogs and the likes and I was wondering what too use to start a writing blog. I've tried Blogger before, but that project ended up dying in the water. Basically it is going to be a way for me to make sure I write and even get some feedback where possible; critique and such I mean.

Now normally I'd just post here in this section but with the state it is in nowadays I'm looking too expand.

So, any suggestions?

You can try Tumblr, though you'll likely get a bit more attention for fan fiction than original work. Depends what circles you travel, I guess. There are writing blogs on Tumblr that post prompts and stuff most every day.

Some poking around Google tends to lead me back to different writing-oriented fora, all of which seem to have the problem of people posting something and receiving few comments (Writer's Beat) or being rather unwieldy and overwhelming (Writing.com). I've spent some time briefly on FictionPress a few years back, but given how many people beg for reviews, it might not work.

You might be interested in some of the suggestions in this NaNo thread. You can also try your luck at the Critiques, Feedback, & Novel Swaps section at the NaNo forum. The only problem with the NaNo forum is that although it is open and running 11 months of the year (it closes on October for rebooting), activity severely tapers off after November.

It lacks a critique feature since it's largely anonymous (no one sees what you write), but if you're competitive, 750Words might be helpful in making sure you write every day. You gain points for every day you write and meet word count, as well as various badges based on your typing speed, how long your streak is, how many total words you've got, and the like. You can also follow users, but that's an experimental feature limited to patrons at the moment.

I was initially planning on Tumblr, but considering I've never really explored it I didn't know how large the writing scene was. I'm sure the fan fiction (especially durty stuffs) is more popular, but that is often the case with blog sites anyways.

I've been a member of writing.com for a couple years now, so I know how hard it is too navigate or even get noticed. I must say, FictionPress seem pretty interesting. Simple design, if not a little too simple and dreary. I'll probably check it out a little.

Thank for the advice!

FictionPress broke off from FanFiction.Net when I was still using their services, but from what I remember, the process of uploading is very simple--they should still accept almost every common file format. There's definitely not a lot of bells and whistles (I think they've had the same colours since the last I've used it), though they did more community-based stuff that might be helpful. There's also an option for beta readers, where you can look through profiles and pseudo-resumes. It's pretty cool from what I see.

I'm certain there's an audience for you on Tumblr considering there's an audience for shipping Doritos. Just have to poke around and connect, haha. Tumblrs like the ones I listed previously are pretty good about being connected with other blogs of interest and leading users to where they need to be, whether it's a blog for grammatical questions or one for story prompts.

DeviantArt also hosts writing, but, uh, their community is pretty shady, even compared to Tumblr histrionics. YMMV--it's not one I find particularly supportive to writers, much less those who draw or do photography.

======

Another one I stumbled upon while browsing the NaNo forum is a site called Protagonize--it seems to focus primarily on collaborative works, but it does support solo writing. One downside is it seems they're talking about doing subscription based stuff, and depending on what that is, might detract from the experience.

Edited by Emotional Outlet