Underground, unloved, and unpopular anime

Clobclark

I really enjoy unique anime... Things that most people may not have seen, sure I like big titles like Cowboy Bebop and such but something gives me great satisfaction in finding a great gem among shows. I'll post a list of my favourites that I have here. Inside the spoiler tags is a description and a screen shot, so give it a look!

Cat Soup OVA - Download here

very weird is a good description for Cat's Soup. With a (seemingly) drug influenced art style, almost no spoken words and heavily metaphorical this is pretty far up there in terms of wacked out anime.

catsoup.png

Angle's Egg -

Not for everyone, some scenes will last for 5 minuets or more with no dialogue or movement. If you can get pasted that, and the aged art, the metaphorical possibility's are endless, from religion, sex, innocence, good and evil this is a story that when you finish you'll most likely either say "that SUCKED" or "JALSGJFSDKGJJN AWESOME"

angelsegg.png

Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor - Download here

Truly a strange story originally written by the famous German author Franz Kafka that has one of the best and most unique art styles I have ever seen. Once again this story is dealing with metaphors and you will seriously be scratching your head with this one...This is most likely my favourite underground anime and would probably be one of the easier ones to get in to.

acountrydoctor1.png

La Maison en Petits Cubes -

A touching story with an old story book like art style, no dialogue.

cubesn.png

Mindgame -

Great movie, amazing art and some actual story line this time! If you ever wondered what is was like to try some shrooms or LSD... look no further

mindgame.png

Kite -

A very odd show... not because it's anything REALLY different but because of the graphic violence, the good storyline and the fact that I'm saying good storyline and Hentai in the same sentence.

screenshotxr.png

Pale Cocoon -

Very atmospheric and at times slow. Art is very well done and the overall feel of everything working together is great.

pale.png

Tokyo Marble Chocolate -

A very cool twist on anime, the art style is different and you are presented with a choice...they're 2 episodes, you may watch them in the order you choose. A love story about a girl and a boy, one episode is from the girl's perspective and the other is from the boy's.

chocoo.png

Otaku no Video -

Mixing in live action scenes and learning and laughing at other "Otaku" that follows a stranded storyline but shot in a documentary style way.

video2no.png

I'll add more eventually. Feel free to tell about other underground anime you know of and love!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven't seen any of the ones you listed. =P The ones I list are not as "underground" as yours, but they are still series I felt was good enough they deserved more attention then they got.

Bokurano

Gad Guard

Hatsukoi Limited

Interlude

Pandora Hearts

Shigofumi

Shikabane Hime: Aka

Shion no Ou

The Twelve Kingdoms

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

Today in Class 5-2

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Toshokan Sensou

Variable Geo

Vexille

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is my 2nd fav series out of over 400 I've seen.

Only Black Lagoon is ranked higher for me. xD

I have been needing to watch it for a while... I saw a movie called "The Day the Earth Moved" but the art is dated and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 seemed very similar but more recent.

Hey Koby, do you happen to still have TM8 on you? I thought it was on here but I guess not.

I have been needing to watch it for a while... I saw a movie called "The Day the Earth Moved" but the art is dated and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 seemed very similar but more recent.

Hey Koby, do you happen to still have TM8 on you? I thought it was on here but I guess not.

If I get a chance I'll see about uploading it. It's 11 episodes only. I got it from BSS.. and well I edited their release to add karaoke I created since they had none and fixed a few things with the subtitles.

*edit*

I'll set it to upload while I'm sleeping.. hopefully it uploads successfully and I'll have it up sometime tomorrow. Btw.. they are 720p and are all 355 MB each.

If I get a chance I'll see about uploading it. It's 11 episodes only. I got it from BSS.. and well I edited their release to add karaoke I created since they had none and fixed a few things with the subtitles.

*edit*

I'll set it to upload while I'm sleeping.. hopefully it uploads successfully and I'll have it up sometime tomorrow. Btw.. they are 720p and are all 355 MB each.

That you very much! and the high quality is VERY appreciated!

how about REC -that is a hard anime to find actually but i watched on youtube back in 06 it is short but I Love it!!!!! another series i saw in 06 was LOVE LOVE? and The Cosmopolitan Prayers and another one i have yet to see but ironically it takes place before those two was Hit wo Nerae!

so basically it went Hit wo Nerae! then LOVE LOVE? then The Cosmopolitan Prayers of course they are all subbed ONLY!!!!! so yeah you guys should check them out......it's actually been 4 years since i have seen them i guess i'll watch them now haha....but yeah check out REC too they're all pretty good :):D

Forgot a good anime : Golden Boy

God I love Golden Boy.

I am going to have to watch that one, I have never heard of that one... is it any good?

Yeah, 3x3 Eyes and Blue Gender have that same gore factor, and a girl saving a guy.

I'm watching the sequel to 3x3 right now, it's a great series, but I wish it was longer!

God I love Golden Boy.

Yeah, 3x3 Eyes and Blue Gender have that same gore factor, and a girl saving a guy.

I'm watching the sequel to 3x3 right now, it's a great series, but I wish it was longer!

Sweet, ^.^. I know I thought the same thing when I watched it... but all good things must come to an end hehe

• 3 weeks later...

Clark, I'd like to watch TM8 with you if it's not too late.

Also, my list is similar to yours. I'm not sure if all of these are underground because I don't pay much attention to that, but here are my favorites:

Cat Soup

Chrno Crusade

Diary of Tortov Roddle

Gantz

Glassy Ocean

Grave of the Fireflies

Higurashi no Naku koro Ni

A Country Doctor

Kaiba

Kino's Journey

The House of Small Cubes

Pale Cocoon