Do you read long posts?

zx0

Do you read long posts?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like long posts / threads?

• Yes, I enjoy long posts AND long threads!
    • I like long posts, but NOT long threads
    • I like long threads, but not long posts.
    • I don't like long threads or long posts.

EO's posts are often one I don't read...hers are sooooooo long. Every now and then I will.

Okay, thanks.

[Link]

Long posts typically give you the opportunity to develop more of a relationship with your readers since they can see more of your opinions and personality. Long posts set the stage for everyone to learn and grow together.

I write and share my personal stories here because building relationships is important to me and generally has been in the time I've been on this forum. I write and share my musings and thoughts at length because that has been my experience on most every other forum--detailed, in-depth discussions happen on the forum. You support your stances with evidence, with anecdotes, with reason and logic--things that bulk up a post--not just say "I disagree with X" and leave it at that. You exchange stories, share experiences and memories. Shorter, rapid fire chats happened off-site on IRC, MSN, or other chat services.

I know most people on the Internet want information right now in the easiest and most digestible format possible. But I am not an instruction manual. I am not here just to dispense information. I am here to get to know people and express my personality. I am a person. I'm sorry I don't write my personal stories in bullet format. I'm sorry I don't respond to everything with a meme. I don't know how to speak in pithy quotes from famous people because I don't know a lot of them. I try to be personable and intimate in my posts, especially when I'm sharing personal anecdotes. I guess that means fuck all because I can't write it in 140 characters.

You don't have to read what I write and you very well don't even have to read what I wrote just now. (But how would you know I said that unless you read this? Error--does not compute.) Just maybe try not to stomp all over my feelings and tell me that you essentially don't care what I have to say just because it's too long. You don't have to tell me you don't read my posts.

I wasn't saying it to hurt your feelings. I was just using you as an example. There have been quite a few times I have read your post. I have actually quite enjoyed what you write. The only reason I don't always read them is because I am not a big reader. I get bored easily...it's nothing against your posts. Like I just said, your post are very much enjoyable...just not a big reader. I wasn't trying to upset you in any way...thou, I am not very good at conveying what I mean. Also, I never said I didn't care what you write. You didn't have to immediately jump to the wrong conclusion. I am never intentionally mean to anyone unless they've pissed me off. You have never done me wrong. I agree I am not very good a sugar coating anything. I just say exactly what's on my mind and I forget that other people can get easily offended. I am sorry that you took me the wrong way. I never meant to be harmful.

Edited by Sakura Rei

And then you post a status update about other people being more easily offended than you??

You don't have to sugarcoat anything. What I'm saying is it makes no sense to tell one person you don't read their posts, often or not. It makes no sense to fault a person for writing lengthy posts any more than it makes sense to fault one person for writing short posts.

If you're not a big reader, fine. But why bring my name into it at all? Why point me out at all as someone you deliberately ignore? That is what I don't understand.

Ugh...seriously, that was not my intention at all. Seeing as I'm making no progress in this conversation...I'll respectfully back off and drop the subject. I legitimately apologize for offending. This was not my intention when I made that post. I'll no longer make any post that is supposedly "pointing-one-out". Once again I apologize.

I am find with long post and threads if the thread is interesting enuff. Like threads that people can agree and disagree on. Although it can get out of hand and people start arguing, but other than that i enjoy reading people opinion on things. Not the short answers like "yes its good", you can say things like that but explain why as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I like long posts and threads, not to say I don't read them 100% of the time, there are days where long posts and threads are not my thing. But I find nothing better then sitting down and having a good nice read into a topic I might find interesting. The longer the read the greater the detail and the bigger the chance I will learn something new. Sure short topics are all well and good but can be a little on the dull side when your expecting a nice info plaza.

I don't like reading long posts because by the time I get to the end of the post I cant remember anything I just read. Maybe its because I just can't be bothered to read it in the first place so I rush it and not even think about what im reading and I get confused.

If I'm working my way through a long thread, or even a short one but with a lot of material, like in the Mako Reactor, I usually open a duplicate tab of the thread so I can reference it when responding to people.

I don't have the best memory and frequently walk into rooms without remembering why I even got up. Written communication is actually better for me in this regard, because it's all there for me to read and reread at my own pace.

It's incredibly disappointing to be interested in something and take the effort to construct a post about it, only to find people refuse to read it for its length.

Do you guys ever thumb through the Compendium? Here's a random page. Occasionally I'll drop in posts that people request to be deleted because we're not really supposed to delete posts, but for the most part, it's spam and off-topic chatter I've culled from the forum.

Can you imagine if the entire forum read that way? Do you feel interested in knowing why wolf_200_2 is with Luffy or knowing what John Black is talking about? If you saw a thread and all the replies were like that (and believe you me, there are many a thread that read like this--try the Two Cents subforum), would you feel like reading ANY of these posts? Would you want to try to strike up conversation? Or would you just scroll past it all and just leave your opinion in the thread?

When every post reads that way, it doesn't feel welcoming. It doesn't feel like anyone wants to talk, which defeats the primary purpose of a forum to begin with.