CISPA (And yes we are fucked)

Dan Den

CISPA SOPA and PIPA's inbreed child.

cispa.jpg

Source 1

Source 2

CISPA, the cybersecurity bill that can put an end to people’s privacy on the Internet was approved by the House of Representatives today.

The bill that can turn the Internet into an anti-piracy spying machine was widely protested online and in Washington.

Despite this opposition CISPA was passed 248 to 168.

The vote was initially scheduled for Friday, but the House decided to speed up the approval process.

Several amendments to the original proposal were accepted during the hearing today. However, critics of the bill still believe it’s a major threat.

“CISPA is a dangerous piece of legislation and it’s worrisome that the House has passed such an overreaching bill,” said Free Press Action Fund Policy Director Matt Wood.

“The bill still lacks effective oversight and accountability for companies and government agencies collecting massive amounts of our personal data. It would curtail Internet openness and freedom by stripping away crucial privacy protections, and without providing any guarantee of protection for critical infrastructure.”

Among other things, CISPA would make it easier for ISPs to share personal information of alleged copyright infringers with third parties.

Over a million people signed petitions urging their representatives not to pass the bill, but without success.

What are the dangers of these bills?

• CISPA would allow companies and the government to bypass privacy protections and spy on your email traffic, comb through your text messages, filter your online content and even block access to popular websites.
  • CISPA would permit companies to give the government your Facebook data, Twitter history and cellphone contacts. It would also allow the government to search your email using the vaguest of justifications — and without any real legal oversight.
  • CISPA contains sweeping language that could be used as a blunt weapon to silence whistleblower websites like WikiLeaks and the news organizations that publish their revelations.
  • CISPA would have a chilling effect on our ability to speak freely online by stoking fears that the National Security Agency — the same agency that has conducted “warrantless wiretapping” online for years — could come knocking.

Campanies supporting it

AT&T

Boeing

BSA

Business Roundtable

CSC

COMPTEL

CTIA - The Wireless Association

Cyber, Space & Intelligence Association

Edison Electric

EMC

Exelon

Facebook

The Financial Services Roundtable

IBM

Independent Telephone & Telecommunications Alliance

Information Technology Industry Council

Intel

Internet Security Alliance

Lockheed Martin

Microsoft

National Cable & Telecommunications Association

NDIA

Oracle

Symantec

TechAmerica

US Chamber of Commerce

US Telecom - The Broadband Association

Verizon

Here is a couple of videos to explain what exactly this bill is all about and how it is going to affect you.

otRkVNU6WXs&hd=1

j6BKU9mCnn0

UERicIJ2J5U&hl

0.jpg

wtf....didn't we kill this? Seriously guys, you have to sort out your fucking government, the hypocritical asswipes that they are. I mean, if this passes then american is taking fucking liberties with the rest of the world, without even asking. So much for defenders of freedom.

If this actually comes into fruition I say widespread riots are a must. And I don't mean peaceful, I mean motherf**king burn your house down riots.

Absolute bullshit.

This shouldn't be happening! We already cracked down on SOPA and PIPA, and now CISPA? Seriously, these people need to get a life and realise what is going to happen. We will do the same thing- protest.

Emails, messages, texts, facebook history, etc.?! Are they serious?! That is private data, and they need to learn to respect people's privacy. This is going to be big. This is going to cause so much shit it ain't funny.

Sigh, US I am not impressed... Seems like they will just be trying until they finally get it to work. The thing is, they got the ISP's on their side now. The governments normally dont give a damn about the common people until they do something really drastic, and apparently the 1 million person petition wasnt drastic enough. Either way, looks like the internet is screwed until someone finds another good way of bypassing this

Well this sucks big time, I knew it wouldn't be long before we were faced with another thing like this and I must say the peace was good but now it's happening all over again and im sure there will be a big uproar to follow.

Will the uproar be enough to make them re think CISPA? I doubt it, they really are either desperate or just rushed this thing through without reading to much into this new bill.

The American government are really fools with to much power!

Well this sucks big time, I knew it wouldn't be long before we were faced with another thing like this and I must say the peace was good but now it's happening all over again and im sure there will be a big uproar to follow.

Will the uproar be enough to make them re think CISPA? I doubt it, they really are either desperate or just rushed this thing through without reading to much into this new bill.

The American government are really fools with to much power!

Could you provide a source for this?

Not exactly the best source when it comes to the above statement but it gives some insight if you want to have a little read:

http://open.salon.com/blog/rick_lucke/2012/04/27/obama_threatens_to_veto_cispa_will_he_veto

It basicaly says this:

The bill has now passed the House vote and will proceed to the Senate; will it pass? Will Obama veto The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) if it passes through Congress and lands on his desk to be signed? Obama has threatened to veto it, but history of his support for such Orwellian-Big-Brother-esque, despite his rhetoric against them, suggests he will not veto it, but will sign it into law. If he somehow does find the courage to veto it, the act will mark a definitive change of course for him.

wtf....didn't we kill this? Seriously guys, you have to sort out your fucking government, the hypocritical asswipes that they are. I mean, if this passes then american is taking fucking liberties with the rest of the world, without even asking. So much for defenders of freedom.

If this actually comes into fruition I say widespread riots are a must. And I don't mean peaceful, I mean motherf**king burn your house down riots.

Yeah I too am surprised, I thought this would be killed faster than SOPA was but look where we are now. I mean I know my government is a piece of shit but at least they do not go around preaching about freedom and liberty and just turn around with a big middle figure to the face.

If all else comes down to it I believe that is what we might be seeing very soon, cause like in the video they said people will let a lot of things go but mess with their internet and we have got ourselves the making of a beautiful rebellion against the blasted government.

Absolute bullshit.

This shouldn't be happening! We already cracked down on SOPA and PIPA, and now CISPA? Seriously, these people need to get a life and realise what is going to happen. We will do the same thing- protest.

Emails, messages, texts, facebook history, etc.?! Are they serious?! That is private data, and they need to learn to respect people's privacy. This is going to be big. This is going to cause so much shit it ain't funny.

And I could not agree any more, it seems like they just kept cooking those bills up until one of them got through and it looks like it is the mother of all internet killers. But I doubt protesting is going to do much here it seems like they do not listen when their is peaceful protesting, so it seems we must go back to the old ways of protesting, cause it seems that is the only way they are going to listen to any one.

Yeah well like they said in the video the fourth amendment is not affiliated with online, so to say it simply they consider the internet out of the jurisdiction of the US laws but it is kind of stupid that they want to enforce US laws online but only if it benefits them.

I know they are pushing it a lot more this time, but honestly I feel as though they don't know even half of what is going on. The internet is in fact a place of free exchange of information, and place where someone should be able to represent themselves without being judged. This is freaken crazy. I'm sure before long they'll get the pressure, and we can win. think the internet should be under the 4th amendment its all the same really just not in person.

I know they are pushing it a lot more this time, but honestly I feel as though they don't know even half of what is going on. The internet is in fact a place of free exchange of information, and place where someone should be able to represent themselves without being judged. This is freaken crazy. I'm sure before long they'll get the pressure, and we can win. think the internet should be under the 4th amendment its all the same really just not in person.

That right there I am sure is why they are pushing these bills in the first place, like we all know the internet is the one source of media left where information is censored before being distributed. Sure it has a dark side but most of it is positive, a teacher of mine once told me that if people have no access to information then they will just believe what ever they are told without any proof to prove what has been said (something on those lines) and this is exactly what will happen at this rate.

The Whitehouse made a statement that Obama would Veto the act if it reached his desk.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Obama says, especially when it comes to our civil liberties. Let's not forget that Obama was the one who actually proposed the indefinite detainment provisions for the NDAA, not to mention his history of supporting gun control and continued support for the Patriot Act.

Could you provide a source for this?

Here it is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17864539

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Obama says, especially when it comes to our civil liberties. Let's not forget that Obama was the one who actually proposed the indefinite detainment provisions for the NDAA, not to mention his history of supporting gun control and continued support for the Patriot Act.

I guess, Its just a wait and see what happens with Obama. But with facebook being an supporter, I would like to see people start to boycott and stop using the service and let it just die out. Unlikely to happen, However, I'm glad I'm one of those people that haven't used it ever or services like it as I like my privacy.

Facebook falling because of people standing their ground and not taking it would be a massive signal throughout the internet to simply say don't f*ck with the people.

Hooliganism will do nothing but make anyone who is opposed to internet censorship look bad. There is a time for armed resistance, but that time hasn't come, yet. When the time comes, we need to choose our targets carefully and be sure to not target civilians, with the obvious exceptions being pro-authoritarian politicians and lobbyists (such as the Brady Campaign retards).

Hooliganism will do nothing but make anyone who is opposed to internet censorship look bad. There is a time for armed resistance, but that time hasn't come, yet. When the time comes, we need to choose our targets carefully and be sure to not target civilians, with the obvious exceptions being pro-authoritarian politicians and lobbyists (such as the Brady Campaign retards).

I couldn't agree more. They need to be more careful about this.

I'm sorry, but did you think I meant to advocate killing civilians? Wow, I must be worse than I thought if I came off like that. First off, hooliganism is the actions of gangs, often related to sporting events and the likes, and even the original meaning of the word it still does not apply to what I said. So the bringing up of the word makes no sense in context cause I ain't going on about a fricking footbal match but the death of privacy.

Second, I never said "armed" resistance as that is much worse than riots dear sir and could result in many deaths. Guns are the worst thing to have when there is a mob involved. I mean seriously. To "burn your house down" is a saying in Britain meaning to be very serious about what you are doing. It doesn't mean chucking a molotov through someone's window.

Finally, the Brady Campaign from what I know of it, and after a quick Google search to make sure I ain't putting myself in a pitfall, is quite possibly the most logical bloody organization in America's history. The Second amendment is outdated and unnecessary in modern society. Back when it was instated I can understand, the US was a frontier country and had just beat out your colonial backers. But nowadays why do you need such a huge gun market? Cause some guys signed a piece of paper in 1791? Bullshit. But not my country, not my problem.

One thing I will say, is if the US passes this law you'd be as well burn the same document I just bloody mentioned and watch democracy fall.