Time and Pleasure

lemmingllama

So kiddies, this thread might be a bit harder since there is not one but two questions that I'll get you to think about. So both are about time and pleasure obviously. So, why do we prefer pain to be in the past rather than the future? And why do we prefer pleasure in the future to those in the past?

Many try to rationalize as pain in the past means that we wont need to experience it later, aka future. So that means less pain in the rest of our life. Likewise, pleasure in the future means that we have more enjoyment ahead of us. However, we can look at the opposite, saying that by having pleasure first then we will be cheerful and can grin and bear future pain. Also, pain in the past could cause tramatic experiences that might ruin our futures. So, what do y'all think?

This is just one way of thinking about it but if we have pain in the past we not only are capable of remembering it but also learning from it and finding ways not to experience it again and later teach others about it but of course there are drawbacks in the sense that the pain can be so intense that we just close ourselves to the world.

Pleasure in the future it not only gives as encouragement to work hard to get it but you also want to have pleasure after working so hard it makes what ever it is you want that more deserving, more precious has it is not easily achieved.

But now let's try the other way round

Pleasure in the Past you have had fun and enjoyment and now its time for business, you can concentrate more, no regrets but of course there draw backs no motivation, what's the point of doing it if its not fun or will not get fun

Pain in the Future if you know there is going to be pain you prepare for it but of course no type of preparing will make it easier, open minded to find solutions to prevent the pain, work hard became stronger so the pain is not to hard, before the pain have the time of your life and have no regrets later draw backs afraid of what is going to happen next

Prefer the pain first

Thats if you measured the delights of pain and pleasure in such a manner. Similar to hevan and hell. One is ahead of you while another is behind. Something to reach for and something to run from.

I think in the opposite. Pain is something to learn from as is pleasure. but pleasure is a giant illusion that is different to any who experience it.

I rather feel pain which is neither bad or good, then pleasure which is both bad and good. because life or just being alive hurts, taking the easy way out the way that doesn't hurt will lead you into a short lived life.

Future past or present, its all the same to me. What I felt yesterday lingers on me in me today. All of tomorrow can be felt today and all of today will be yesterday.

If you ask me it is all in your head, it's the way we think, for example if you failed to get into university you can either be depressed about it or move on and try getting into it later. Pain or pleasure it is all upto how you think of it, some people who are living what people think is the perfect life are in pain, because they either didn't fulfill their dreams or get into the job they want, and vice versa. In Australia dentistry has the one of the highest suicidal rates, this is because most students want to get into Medicine (Doctor) but either failed the interview or didn't get enough marks. I mean they have a perfect future ahead, but they think they are in pain.

Pain gives me pleasure, so not sure how to go about answering this question... My nerve endings are shot (due to my younger, stupider ways) meaning I don't have most feeling. So to me, feeling anything accutely registers as pleasure in my head. I suppose, the idea of pain in the future would be off putting for most, but to me it doesnt really scare meh.

• 2 weeks later...

For me I'm a mixture of all said above.

My main difference is that I feel that I can't live without both pleasure and pain, both need to be present on average in a single week. I find that I prefer pain to pleasure. Pain tells me that I am alive and living, it tells me that I'm doing things beyond human comfort meaning that I'm living above the average human potential. Pleasure shows me the joins of life and makes me want to seek pain so that I can bathe in the pleasure of the pain I have felt, reminiscing in the feets that I have achieved through the pain.

Pain is my main motivator while pleasure is the feeling I use to allow my mind to rest and plan on how to reach higher next time.

• 2 weeks later...