30+ people watching Anime: Is it weird?

xNoName

I can't stand it when people tell me it's 'childish'. They're simply ignorant of anything outside of pokemon. I explain to people that it may be the same medium as cartoons but that doesn't mean it's childish, as many of my own anime are rated 15+. It's something that people like to keep to themselves though, afraid of being 'judged' by peers. Nearly everyone who knows me knows I like anime but they're indifferent to it because they understand my arguement.

On another note, our school had a non-uniform day last week and I wore my white boyfriend cardigan with Bleach's squad 9 logo (my avvie) on my back embroidered by moi :) and I had four people come up to me saying that they loved Bleach. These were people I was acquainted with but had no idea that they liked it. Just thought you'd like to know :)

• 3 weeks later...

Age has nothing to do with it is all in the story if it is entertaining what difference does it make if it is animated or live actions. The thing I get a kick out of most of the people that say these thing have watch anime or something based on it. Perfect example would be Transformers. Spiderman or Batman all have there base in comics or animation but because it is live action it is okay. The problem is most people are not open minded enough to let them self experience new things and if they want to live there life with a preconceived notion on how the world should be I say let them. I am old enough to know I can do the things I enjoy with out needing the validation of others.

Oh and my father watch a few and he is well into his 60s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
anime is another form of an art, and people who is narrow minded will judge that anime is an entertainment just for kids, and i am not one of them.

Exactly, the only reason anyone at all would find it weird is because they think anime is just for kids. Video games are the same way, though the average person seems to be figuring out video games are for everyone, not just kids. Eventually this will change for anime too, though I don't have a clue when that will be...

let's face it, anime is so much more varied than any other TV series or movie! why? because anime is a cartoon and is therefore not limited to what a person can do, but rather what they can draw. it's not weird that so many people like it, whats weird is that so many people don't

just because a show is animated, doesn't make it childish. A lot of anime is more gory, more f*cked up and more interesting in story than most of the movies i have seen. I could honestly see myself watching more TV if anime was actually broadcast here in aus, and i could certainly see more people understanding it if it were as well

• 3 weeks later...

that is the mindset of most people that animes are for kids, but in reality, even kids do watch those serious-live action series every year.. does it make sense?

it also goes par in videogames, we think it is only for kids but just look, even the developers who are practically aging around 30, 40 are playing videogames.

anime's are fun, some of them have depth in story, and we can learn something from them that we can not see from watching other things around. it's an art, and is also a part of entertainment.

it's just my honest opinion, and btw, i'm already in my middle 20's and i'm still eager to watch anime's and play videogames while pursuing my professional growth and career.

Wellp! In my mind, I can only see two outcomes of watching a fuck load of anime. You get rich and become really big in Japan, or you gain some sort of mental illness making you a social out cast and end up spending all of your spare time in a coo-coo bin. My bases for the first is that... well every other fucking kid that grew up as an otaku ended up making what he/she loves. And- Fuck! My bases for the second one is that I had two friends that only watched anime and both the girls where constantly in and out of mental institutions for suicide or obsessive behavior... Er- One was obsessive over me. Really not a good experience and I think there's a name for it I don't know, but I sure as hell know anime was the cause because they started to act exactly like the characters from their favorite anime and it can really get out of hand.

So basically it all depends on weather you have a strong mind or not, and by strong mind I mean weather you can really deal with what is really going on in the screen in front of you, mentally. I mean, you said it yourself there's some really fucked up shit that goes on in anime. It's just if you know how to deal with that or not.