Yu-Gi-Oh! - Starlight Road Rulings

Koby

Well it came to my attention that some people have been misusing this card (including myself in the past) so I figured I should point out a few things to clarify.

StarlightRoadDP10-EN-R-1E.png

Description: Activate only when an effect is activated that would destroy 2 or more cards you control. Negate the effect and destroy that card. Then, you can Special Summon 1 "Stardust Dragon" from your Extra Deck.

1. You can only Chain this card directly to the effect that would destroy 2 or more cards you control.
  2. If you negate an effect with “Starlight Road” but cannot destroy the card, you cannot Special Summon “Stardust Dragon.”
  3. If you Chain “Starlight Road” to “Heavy Storm” while you control 2 or more Spell or Trap Cards and Special Summon “Stardust Dragon” you cannot activate “Torrential Tribute” afterwards. Even though the effect of “Heavy Storm” is negated, the activation was not, so the card will still resolve without effect and you will miss the timing to activate “Torrential Tribute.”
  4. If you control 2 face-up monsters including “Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV6” and your opponent activates “Lightning Vortex,” you can activate “Starlight Road.”
  5. You can activate “Starlight Road” even if you cannot Special Summon due to the effect of “Vanity's Fiend.”
  6. You can activate “Starlight Road” even if you don’t have a “Stardust Dragon” in your Extra Deck.
  7. You cannot activate “Starlight Road” during the Damage Step.
  8. You cannot Chain “Starlight Road” to the effect of “Elemental Hero Stratos” because it might not destroy any cards.
  9. You cannot activate “Starlight Road” if your opponent activates “Crush Card Virus” while your only monsters are two facedown monsters with 1500 or more ATK.
  10. Negating and destroying a card and Special Summoning “Stardust Dragon” do not happen at the same time. First you negate and destroy the card, then you Special Summon “Stardust Dragon.” If you don’t Special Summon, the effect of “Starlight Road” ends after negating and destroying the card.
  11. You can Chain the effect of “Royal Oppression” to negate and destroy “Starlight Road.”
  12. Special Summoning “Stardust Dragon” with “Starlight Road” is not a Synchro Summon. If that “Stardust Dragon” is later sent to the Graveyard, it cannot be Special Summoned by its own effect or “Call of the Haunted.”

The last one I put in bold as it is the most important and the reason I decided to make this thread. Like several people I thought Starlight Road meant the Stardust Dragon was summoned correctly and thus could work, but it just isn't so.