Live Action Movies, Good Idea or Bad?

Citizenmanman

How do you feel about live action movies based on nonlive action shows/cartoons/games  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about live action movies based on nonlive action shows/cartoons/games

• I dislike the Idea.
    • I am against it and for it, based on the show/cartoon/movie.
    • I am all for it.
    • I don't really have much of an opinion, whatever floats their boats.

G.I.Joe, Thundercats, Reboot, World of Warcraft, these are just a few cartoon/animated shows and game, that live action movies are being made about.

What is your position on adapting these things into live action movies? What about past movies based on a cartoon or game, what ones have you seen, and was it a mistake or not?

Personally, I am looking forward to the G.I.Joe and WoW movies (Wow movie not set to be out until 2012...).

I am not sure about Thundercats and Reboot... Thundercats will probably have a bunch of moronic anti-furry people making a fuss over it, and I have not even the slightest clue as to what they will be doing with Reboot... hopefully it will be something like the old show. Knowing people though, they are probably going to just go with a brand new plot and the character will be all wrong.

Also, screw Speed Racer.

Some Live-Action movies that based off Video Games or Japanese Animation should just not be made XD but thats my honest opinion :P

I think Transformers was the only good live-action movie I've seen so far. I think I have seen some other good ones but i'll have to remember and get back to you :P

I dont want to talk about Dragonball: Evolution or i will get beat by fanboys hahaha.

Transformers and X-Men were pretty good.. The Death Note movies were good as well..

Speed Racer live action was crap.. and I feel Dragonball Evolution will probably be as well.

Cowboy Bebop might be okay.. but we haven't heard anything about it other than it's being done.

All in all.. I like some and hate others.. so it just depends.

There is also Blood the Last Vampire.. a live action film based on the Blood + anime series.. I doubt it will be anything worth watching though.

Personally though, if they want to make them, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.. although most will suck.. but if they do then I just wont watch them.. but if they are good.. it gives me something more to watch..

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Dragonball was a really bad adaptation. But I think it really depends on who's making it and who's in charge.

Most of the time, they screw with the plot/characters in order to make it more easy to relate to people who probably have no clue about the original game/anime. Which makes it all 9 kinds of wrong. :(

But I guess there were good ones like Dark Knight and ok ones like Watchmen.

• 1 month later...

As I've said many times over many sites this entirely depends on the Anime/Manga/Cartoon/Comic. I'm fine with it if:

1. It's taken seriously by the people making it.

2. If they take on a series such as evangelion or bleach, they need to have the money to back up all the CG work and don't short out on it.

3. They either shorten the story to make more sense but in the process it doesn't lose it's charm (the Death Note live action movie in Japan is a prime example), or they make a TV series or at least a series of movies to capture all the important moments.

Yes I agree with most of you who say they are already crap before they are even made based on the whole fact that they are trying to fit it all in 1 or 2 hours. But I do believe if they really wanted to they could make these movies really good. Like explaining things more and choosing fight scenes. Movies like these should be more talk and explanation than fighting to be honest with you all. only because the technology we currently have is not that good for translating cartoon based fights (where they most likely have a special power like flight or shooting energy balls and etc) into live action sadly. I think if they were more interested in telling the story rather than throwing something out there (that is maybe OK) and trying to make a quick buck these kinds of movies would be great! I don't think the lord of the rings movies were based on cartoons or shows(based on a book) But as an example of what I said about explanation and choosing fight scenes that movie would have to fit the bill.(just off the top of my head. Probably more) Though I doubt any of these Hollywood directors would want to take the approach of explanation like the lord of the rings. In my opinion all these Hollywood big shot directors just want to do is cut corners and tell the story as quick as possible and get that check. Just my opinion. I hear Warner Bros. is contemplating on making a live action Bleach movie. I do believe if they do this movie with the Hollywood approach than it will probably be a clunker. Just my thoughts. thanks for reading(if I failed to explain something I apologize, I was kind of getting tired of talking about this Issue. so let me know if you would like me to explain something. Thanks)

• 2 months later...