Yu-Gi-Oh! - XYZ Rulings

Koby

Alright, due to a large amount of people not knowing how Xyz's, including myself, I decided to look up information on how the work and certain rulings to follow when using them. This is what I found.

Important Notice: Xyz Monsters don't have Levels instead they have Ranks. This mean you can't use Xyz monsters when performing Synchro Summon, you can't use them when trying to perform Xyz Summon, and you can't use them when performing Ritual Summon. You can however use them when performing Fusion Summon.

1. Rulings state that "Xyz material monsters are not on the field".

a.
This means cards like Sangan and Goblin Zombie
won't
get their effects when detached from Xyz monster.

b.
This means cards like Plaguespreader Zombie and Quillbolt Hedgehog
won't
get banished.

2. Xyz Monters do not loose their Materials if they are flipped face-down. The materials will be kept attached.

3. Tokens can not be used as for an Xyz summon.

4. Trap Monsters such as Zoma The Spirit or Tiki Soul can be used for Xyz Summon.

5. Xyz Materials are not treated as monsters.

a.
If cards like "Dimensional Fissure" are face up on the field and a Xyz monster is removed from the field or Xyz Material is detached it
won't
be Banished instead the card will go to Graveyard.

b.
If cards like "Macro Cosmos" or "Banisher of the Radiance" are face-up on the field then Xyz Materials
will
get Banished if detached or if the Xyz Monster itself is removed from the field.

c.
If a Xyz Monster would be removed from play by cards like "Dimensional Prison" or "Bottomless Trap Hole" the Xyz Materials are still sent to grave.

6. If the Xyz Summon is negated, the Xyz Materials are already treated as being used as Xyz Materials, even though they are not "under" the Xyz Monster (which never gets to the Field anyway). Therefore monsters that were intended to be used as Xyz Materials will get sent to grave and any effects that would activate in that case would trigger.

7. If control of a Xyz monster is switched the materials move with it.

8. If you play "Monster Reborn" on a Xyz Monter it will come back without it's Materials.

9. If a Xyz Mosnter is removed from play by a card such as "Inter-dimensional Matter Transporter" It's Xyz Materials are sent to grave. When it comes back it's Materials remain in grave.

There's been an update to xyz rulings which I think is pretty stupid. Now even in tcg the materials aren't considered on the field, so we don't get sangan's effect. :beat_shot:

This was just recent like yesterday or today I think.

http://www.konami.com/yugioh/articles/?p=3195

The rule book. Look on page 45 http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/rulebook/YGO_RuleBook_EN-v8.pdf

I was just about to post that myself lol

Yeah, according to the rules, the XYZ Materials are NEVER on the field, though they are placed on the field zone. They are believed to be in some XYZ Material Universe hovering around as random orbs. Think of them as counters only the counters used to be monster cards.

Note : You could still use Monster Reborn on those Materials AFTER they were sent to the Grave.

Are the XYZ monsters better than synchros

Most of the Spell/Trap support cards shown to exist in the anime for XYZ monsters do not exist in the TCG yet. So there isn't really a lot of support for XYZ monsters. Most of them rely on their materials to activate effects to be of any use. They don't really rely on power so far. So while the new way of summoning is nice--as far as power and versatility the Synchros are still a better force to be reckoned with. However XYZ monsters are probably easier to bring out unless you use a specific set of tuner cards for your Synchros.

The way I see it is - XYZ's don't have levels. They have Ranks. So, it's not really easy to compare Ranked monsters with Level monsters.

Is a Rank 4 XYZ equal to a Level 8 Synchro?

In terms of power, Rank 4 Utopia has 2500 ATK and 2000 DEF, the same as Level 8 Stardust Dragon.

XYZ's are fairly new yet I've already seen some strong decks. Synchro's have a wide range of support cards. There are cards which can make a monster on the field a Tuner. XYZ's on the other hand don't have that many strategies.

The most common strategy I've seen is summoning "Tour Guide of the Underworld" to special summon another Tour Guide and then overlay the 2 level 3's to XYZ summon a Leviathan or Leviair.

Leviathan can gain upto 3000 ATK and Leviair can summon Level 4- Banished monsters.

Despite the simplicity, this strategy can really turn things around for most synchros.

For the time being, synchros are better. They have more members, more support cards and a wide range of abilities. With time, XYZ's may become a great deal stronger.

When Synchros first came, it took them some time but eventually they surpassed Fusions. These days, I don't see many people Fusion anymore unless it's Future Fusion to buy some time or as a diversion. Synchros are the thing to do today and 3-4 years from now, it'll be XYZ's.