The Hayao Miyazaki Films

cloud1414

I've got Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Monoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Howls Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Spirited Away. Or atleast I believe those are all by Miyazaki. What are some others besides the ones I named? xD I want to watch them all. :/

• 1 year later...

I've seen Howl's-my favorite ^_^, Pom Poko, Spirited Away-comes in close second, The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, Tales of Earthsea, Kiki's Delivery Service and I've seen pieces of Castle in the Sky and Nausica. I can't wait until Ponyo comes out, it looks adorable.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Spirited Away is by far my most favourite, though princess monoke would come in at second. I enjoyed much of princess monoke more, but overall the film seemed somewhat rushed for the ending (yes, i know the film is over 2 hrs long) and from what i've read about the film, miyazaki had to cut the ending short, as it had run way over intended time.

his latest ponyo, was a little disappointing to me. didn't really feel that the characters or the story were particular well thought out, seemed a little absent or abstracted.

i have watched pretty much all of his movies (i don't count earthsea as his, it's his sons) and love them all. ponyo, totoro, spirited away and howl are my favorites... the little girl child <3's the cat returns and kiki's delivery service.

coming at his movies from a parental standpoint i freaking adore them. i cannot recommend them enough. they tend to have very strong leading female characters (as opposed to the disney flap their hands around my prince will save me type heroines) and a minimum of interactive physical violence. no black and white lines between good and evil, and a strong environmental message in most of them.

and the art is just amazing.

• 2 months later...

heres an interesting fact when he was naming studio ghibli he thought it was pronounced [jibli] but because the word comes from italy it's [gibli] meaning hot wind that comes from the desert, he named it ghibli because of a plane that he really liked that was named ghibli.

top favorites are

Princess mononoke

howls moving castle

the cat returns