Windows 8 Preview

Asch

Microsoft previewed their windows 8 at Computex 2011,

The main features that were shown are the improved touch features and a totally revamped user interface. Microsoft also announced that Windows 8 will use the processor and the physical memory more efficiently, to make Windows 8 run more smoothly. It was also revealed that Windows 8 will support a wide range of different 16:9 screen resolutions.

The Start menu is replaced by the new start screen, which includes live application tiles. The user can return to the regular desktop by choosing the 'Desktop' application. Examples of applications on the Start Screen include a weather application, Windows Store, Investments, User Personal Page, and User's MSN Account. It was unveiled at the D9 conference.

Do you happen know how much of win 8 will be cloud based? I'm not a big fan of cloud computing but I heard that the new os will have some kind of new file system that has something to do with cloud.

Have you managed to find any pics of what the new interface will look like as well.

I watched a video of Windows 8 in motion and I only have a few words to say about it. I hate it already. It seems more like the OS on my Android Phone than a Windows OS. Seems like to enjoy most of it you'll actually be required to get a touch screen. Otherwise you'll be missing out on some of the features. Actually Windows 8 no longer even requires a mouse and keyboard at all unless you just want to have one. The interface looks ugly, the on screen keyboard takes up the majority of the screen and looks hideous.

I watched a video of Windows 8 in motion and I only have a few words to say about it. I hate it already. It seems more like the OS on my Android Phone than a Windows OS. Seems like to enjoy most of it you'll actually be required to get a touch screen. Otherwise you'll be missing out on some of the features. Actually Windows 8 no longer even requires a mouse and keyboard at all unless you just want to have one. The interface looks ugly, the on screen keyboard takes up the majority of the screen and looks hideous.

You must be talking about the Windows 8 Tablet UI. Windows 8 will still have a non tablet UI that doesn't look much different from windows 7.

In other words: You won't have to use that interface if you don't need it.

I know you didn't want negative post but I'm really not liking where Microsoft is taking the windows platform. I think using cloud for anything other then a business office is just stupid. What happens when hackers decide to attack the network connections that the cloud depends on. It would basically turn a none network pc into a paperweight. I've heard that Apple is doing the same thing with their next OS as well. This could be the fail event that linux and bsd based OSes need to really take off, if they could just put the leetist bs behind them.

P.S. Other than anti Microsoft sentiments that is =P.

argh, so i can't start a rant? drats.

Well, like all Microsoft products these days, it "looks" futuristic and cool but again, the thing comes down to how good it is. So far, both Vista and 7 have failed to give me the performance I got from XP.

The thing it boils down to is that people are gonna have to upgrade their RAM, Processor, Graphics Card, the whole 9 yards to get the kind of performance they're promising. I remember when I first installed Vista that I clicked the Start icon at 4:30 and it would open by 4:40

I've barely been using windows 7 for a little over a year. I think I'll stay with it for awhile since I hate having to reinstall everything. If windows 8 has anything to do with cloud I'd rather stay far away from it... if my internet goes out, or their servers go down.. I can't access any of my data.

Well just the other day I read a press release form someone within microsoft that said the future of microsoft was going to be cloud, and that future microsoft releases will be cloud based. It didn't say that win 8 would be the first to be fully cloud, but what I'm talking about is win 9 and up. I just don't see any reason in clogging up the internet with stuff that could be locally run/stored instead. It isn't like the price of storage is to high or anything so why add to the congestion.

Well just the other day I read a press release form someone within microsoft that said the future of microsoft was going to be cloud, and that future microsoft releases will be cloud based. It didn't say that win 8 would be the first to be fully cloud, but what I'm talking about is win 9 and up. I just don't see any reason in clogging up the internet with stuff that could be locally run/stored instead. It isn't like the price of storage is to high or anything so why add to the congestion.

Windows will never be fully cloud based. It'll simply never swing with windows users and microsoft knows it. There might be alot of features that have the option of being run in the cloud, but it'll be just that: Optional. The Chrome OS will prove that this will be popular only among certain groups of users, and not the general public. Most people want their shit where they can see it and that's not going to change.

As long as cloud stays completely optional I'm fine with it. I'm perfectly happy with my current setup though , so I don't feel any need to upgrade to windows 8. I'll most likely wait awhile... unless it has something that is really amazing and I have to have it. An updated version of directx and a new gui doesn't interest me anymore. We'll just have to wait and see what it has to offer. ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...