Darkside (rewrite)

Empathy

Running. I could feel my heart race; my eyes I knew had turned red. Fear, sickly sweet smell hitting my nose. I could almost taste it. Though the taste of his scarlet liquid would be like a matured wine. Dark, heavy and thick. They say the soul burns it’s brightest just before death. I am the hunter and the prey. While this pathetic human is but a beast for the slaughter.

Chapter 1

It has been twenty years. A long twenty years, since the Darkside Insitution for the Mentally Disturbed has closed its doors. The world has changed and now their world had too. The cold mansion, with its wrought iron gates, the long deserted wings, with its hollow rooms, remained as they had when the building had been closed as a mental institution. Its dark peeling walls with its dust crusted wall paper. Every step on the threadbare carpets, coughed up dust clouds. The sweet stench of mould and decay filled each room. The spider web cracks spiralling along the faded paint. Each sound like the shattering of glass against the roar of the silence. The paintings of those long since passed, look like cracked porcelain; the eyes forever watching, forever accusing stare at the wanderer from the walls. The woman’s footsteps echo off the walls as they seem to crush her heart, bringing company to the aching loneliness that fills it.

The mirrors that the tunnels of the mansion reflect her image. Even if they no longer reflect the soul. Her skin flawless like white china that has never been touched by the sun. The woman’s lips a perfect cupid’s bow, the colour of soft pink roses. While her long red hair, almost glows even with no light, shining like precious rubies, intricately braided down her lean but powerful back. The woman’s broad shoulders and tapered waist, brought out by her leather trousers clinging to her muscular legs. The soft black t-shirt curving around her torso showing her feminine curves to their advantage. The calf hugging black boots softly expelling dust from the carpet as walks through the hall of mirrors. No mirror could hide what she wished to forget. Those black eyes. Holes of endless time jutting out of her face. Never forgiving, forever cold.

A masculine tone rumbles through the corridor’s emptiness; “Megara? Megara come out of hiding!”

The woman sighed, as she walked down the creaking staircase, each step like a moan of pain.

The entrance hall showed disrepair, the walls cracked with age, the ceiling high with its chandelier missing its crystal droplets. The dust and debris on the floor showing the trails of its mistress had taken. The high arched windows covered with heavy blood red velvet drapes, the colour faded with age.

“Why are you here Icarus?” Megara’s voice was rich and heavily accented showing her age, those hollow eyes full of disdain.

Icarus stared up at Megara, who was standing halfway on the staircase, his almost white blue eyes meeting that endless darkness. His hair softly falling into his eyes contrasting with the colour of dark chocolate. His height may have dwarfed Megara as did his breadth. The white shirt pressed and flawless whilst his black jeans like his large sliver plated shitkickers.

The small smile that curved his lips made his eyes shine.

“Megara, why aren’t you a sight for old eyes;” the man’s eyes were hiding his intent and emotion.

“I’ll only ask once more Icarus. Why are you here?” Megara voice stern and forceful, her eyes never wavering from his piercing gaze.

Icarus just continued to smile from the doorway, letting the cool night air in. “Come on Megara, what happened to the warm hospitality?”

“You know what happened,” her grip on the railing intensified. The moan of the wood under her hand slowly got louder till a loud crack shattered the silence, turning the wood into splinters. Icarus flinched, knowing that the woman in front of him was not the same one he remembered. She slowly raised her hand to slowly tug the small pieces from her white sheet like skin. Her voice eerily calm and steady as she spoke, “Speak or leave.”

The male stood his ground as he tried not to wince at what he saw. “Megara. There has been a sighting,” Icarus’ voice was no louder than a whisper, but the words echoed.

Megara’s fists clenched tight as she gritted her teeth as though she was in great pain, “Where?”

“Megara…please, let me help. You can’t forever be alone,” Icarus’ voice imploring at her to reconsider.

The pale woman pivoted and walked back from whence she came up the staircase, each step sounding like the beat of a heart. Icarus followed unsure what to do, as he had only seen her like this once before, making Megara’s next move unpredictable.

She was nearly running now, as her mind threw images that were best forgotten. Megara’s body was visibly trembling as the memories became clearer with each step. The male following was now shouting at her back, but as she retreated she could no longer hear his voice. Her ears were full of screams that made her heart bleed.

Faces flashed past, each smile turning into that of horror. She crashed to her knees panting hard. Her fists clenched in front of her, those black eyes now shut.

Icarus approached the kneeling woman with the lightest of footsteps. Slowly and gently placing his hand on her shoulder.

SNAP!

The sound of fangs sinking into flesh. Icarus winced. Megara’s eyes the colour of blood, drenched in pain and unending sorrow.

The carpet beneath them speckled with bright droplets against the dust. Icarus remained still his eyes calm but reflecting her pain. Slowly her eyes faded back to their darkness, before her teeth retracted. His hand marked with a perfectly with an imprint of her teeth. The woman’s pink tongue slowly licking her lips clean, her eyes shut.

Chapter 2

There was blood that night too. The banners fluttered in the soft summer breeze, carrying the sickly sweet smell of honeysuckle and fresh blood, through the shattered ceiling high windows. The heavy curtains slowly fluttering too. The tar like sky was clouded, so that the pools on the floor looked like freshly spilt ink.

Megara has dressed in a tight bodice dress, that looked as though it had been made from the night itself. Her breathing sharp and rapid as she couldn’t breath, as the bodice seemed to tight on her chest. She slowly drew closer, to the dark shadows that cluttered the floor. The moon slowly shone through the dispersing cloud, to illuminate the ivory faces of those who once were her family.

Suddenly she was on her knees, the breeze had stopped the banner from moving so it could now be read, ‘Happy Birthday Megara!’. The dark eyes, flat and lifeless starred up at her. The young female now of age, trembled above them, leaning over the dead that once were her loved ones. The warm blood turning the black silk darker. The tears slowly rolling down her own pale cheeks, as her glazed eyes starred out at her parents.

In death as in life, they were holding hands; their swords clung in the other. The couple’s wounds identical, their stomach ripped out and its contents spread between them like gigantic worms, but their throats sliced to look as though a thin scarlet ribbon hand been tied around her throat.

Megara’s anger boiled. They had been denied the death of a warrior and to be killed outright in battle; instead they had been gutted with their throats slashed, left to bleed out while they watched the other die.

The shadows moved. Megara lost to her grief and despair, trembled as the emotions blinded her other senses to the shadowy figure approaching her from behind.

His lank hair the colour of angel wings fell into his icy glowing scarlet eyes that showed no remorse. The malicious smile that he wore spoke of hunger. His body skeletal as his skin looked like paper. Those pale spiders moving to grip the hilt of his blade, the smooth and dull shine becoming visible as he unsheathes the bloodied blade almost silently. His yellow teeth slowly beginning to lengthen as he breathing stayed slow and even.

Megara had lowered her head as she began to sob and contemplate her life without her family. He creped slowly behind her, his body like the shadows themselves. Megara felt someone behind her as she turned the cold steel sliced across her jugular. Bright scarlet splattered across the dead as well as her killer, his slow grin filling her vision. He slowly licked his bloodied lips whispering in her ear, “Happy eighteenth birthday, Megara.”

The last word she spoke was his name, “Slash.”

The world stopped for Megara, the face her and her parents killer, permanently seared into her mind. The ballroom fading as his laughter echoed in her ears.

Hot sweet fluid ran down the back of her throat, as warmth surrounded her body. Megara’s lips tightened on the soft skin against her lips as she slowly began to suck. A soft masculine groan filled her ears. Her eyes felt heavy as she ceased to feed.

“You need to drink…..Megara,” a soft male voice whispered.

The young vampires forced her eyes to open, to see pale almost white blue eyes. The young male only looked in his late teens, as he gently whispered, “It’s okay….My name is Icarus. You are safe milady.”

She slowly slipped back into unconsciousness.

Megara opened her eyes slowly now back in the present. Twenty years may have passed but Icarus’ only looked one or two years older but his eyes displayed infinite age.

Slowly but weakly he smiled, as he knelt in front of her, pulling her hard into his lean but strong body. She may not have been crying but he felt how she trembled as she whispered almost inaudibly; “He cannot be back.”

Lightly he kissed her brow, whispering, “I’ll be here….I promised I’d be here….Please Megara don’t face him alone.”

Chapter 3

Megara had stopped trembling after he spoke those words. Slowly she peeled his arms away from her, as she then stood. Her cheeks dry, her eyes focused as though she were a hawk who’d found her prey.

Icarus starred up at the woman, she had changed so much since the last time they had met. His memories flashed back across his mind before settling on the Megara of the present. He wished they would turn back to the colour of summer violets and the small smile that would make her look mischievous. He couldn’t look at this side of Megara without his heart aching. He heard soft feet moving away from him, as he opened his eyes he saw Megara moving purposely away from him. He practically jumped to his feet rushing after the vampiress.

The young woman walked fast heading down the hall, towards two intricately carved oak doors. Each designed and flawlessly engraved with a sign tore from a book of fairy tales. The Cirrus thought this were ironic when they had first been fitted, but when he realised which room they led to it made more sense. As she pushed open the doors they caused a long moan, as the dank and dark room was revealed.

The room strangely had thirteen sides, three of them were high windows covered once again with heavy black velvet drapes, thickly coated with dust. The other ten sides were ceiling to floor bookshelves, around half way up there was a balcony running around the whole room except for the windows. The bottom half had an ornate fireplace that was as intricately carved as the doors had been. Although the books had been perfectly shelved around the book case, the hollow fireplace made the room cold. Icarus soft starred at the forgotten hearth and softly blinked to make a soft green fire appear in its place. A simple childlike task for a Cirrus like him, watching Megara climb the ebony wrought iron ladders. As he already knew what the room contained, in the centre of the room sat a large rustic wooden table, which was surround by plush, old armchairs with there high back and gnarled legs.

Megara had climbed up to the balcony, and was now whirling across the shelves on the second set of ladders for the upper bookshelves. Her pale thin fingers running across the spines that made him shiver. Suddenly she slammed her hand down across a large thick black book, tugging the enormous and ancient book from its shelf. Once she had the book secured into her arms she used the sides of her boots to slide down the ladder the ancient and cracked covered cradled in her arms like a babe. Leaping into the air half way down the ladder into a summersault to a perfect landing on the floor.

Slamming the book on to the table dust coming from the pages in clouds, as her delicate fingers flicked the pages to land at a yellow paged. Megara’s voice tight, “He must have known it was here Icarus….It’s time to destroy it once and for all.”

Chapter 4

Icarus starred at Megara, “But….Megara!”

“No arguments Icarus!” She softly sighed, “We knew why he destroyed my family, it’s time.”

Slowly the young female looked at the Cirrus, her eyes sad and haunted; as Icarus started to take steps back, “Please Megara, please!”

Megara turned away from Icarus, as she started to clear the room, pushing the table out of the way, before leaving the room. The young man was trembling as he looked at the pages of the book.

Ut reperio crystal. Voco mihi , accerso mihi three vicis , voco mihi , ego sum cruor , ego sum poena , accerso mihi , quod ego mos ostendo vos ut crystal.

Icarus’ trembling got worse as he was screaming in his head, Megara came back with candles and chalk.

“You can’t do this Megara! Please!” He held the book to his chest tightly, his hands trembling, as he watched the vampiress.

“Hand the codex over now Icarus.”

“NO! I won’t let you do this Megara!” Little crystal droplets fell from his piercing blue eyes, as he starred at the girl he saved all those years ago. “You can’t do this Megara, I’ll stop you!”

The female’s expression softened as she softly whispered, “I have to Icarus….I can’t watch anyone else die for it. Not even you.” With extreme ease she removed the book from his fingers. His strength left him as he crashed to his knees starring into those endless eyes whispering silently, “Please.”

She took the book into the centre of the room and began to draw a small chalk circle. Gently she sat within the circle as the young Cirrus sat there and watched trembling and continuing to cry.

“EGO dico super elementum ut temerarius quod iuvo me.” Slowly she began to chant the circle surrounding her kneeling body lighting up like a bulb.

Icarus tried to run through the circle only to be blasted back thudding into the bookshelves, some of the books crashing around him like rain. The ancient yellow pages scattering and floating to the ground like leave in autumn.

“I dico super aer amplexus nos usquequaque quod spiritus vita in totus creatura adveho quod suffragium me.” As she spoke these next words she lit a small bundle of lavender and placed it, in a small earthen bowl, placing it to her right. An eerie wind starting up swirling up the lost pages around her.

“I dico super incendia , plenus of affectus giving nos instinct nobis totus , adveho quod suffragium me.” These next few words she lit a white candle, placing it behind her, the flame flickering as her hair began to swirl around her, the room becoming hotter.

“I dico super unda , frigus nos quod regimen nos , adveho quod suffragium me.” As she slowly placed a small bowl of water to her right there was a soft groan from Icarus. He was slowly using the shelves to pull himself to a standing postion. He screamed against the noise of the wind and the sound of waves, “Stop this Megara!”

“I dico super orbis terrarum , humus nos quod giving nos nostrum nutrition , adveho quod aid.” Finally she tugged the small crystal necklace away from her throat leaving a small bloodied mark on her white throat; placing the small violet flower shaped crystal in front of her. A large wave coming from the circle as the vortex became wilder with Megara at its centre. The blast sending Icarus skidding back, as his voice broke whilst he cried against the din. “MEGARA STOP!”

“Thrice EGO dico vos” Megara’s eyes had changed into the colour of quicksilver.

“MEGARA PLEASE”

“Thrice ego narro" The circle’s energy was getting brighter and more powerful with each second. As the young man was crawling to get close. The books flying off their shelves if they were alive.

“MEGARA!”

“Thrice EGO requiro vos temerarius meus lacuna.” With these finally words Megara turned to Icarus, her eyes alien to him now, as she smiled evilly. Flinging her hand out towards him to send him spinning towards the fireplace.

Chapter 5

Icarus slammed his back into the bookshelves with an loud thud, crashing to the floor to be swamped by fallen books. Megara slowly stood, her crimson hair swirling within the vortex around her, her eyes with their ice glare starred at the unconscious Cirrus.

The shadows slowly shifted, as glowing scarlet eyes shone through the soft candle light. Soft rasping footsteps moved towards the overwhelming woman. The energy pouring off her form, as her head lazily turned towards the shadow.

Gleaming white shone, perfectly contrasting the black velvet; as a slow malicious laughter echoed around the peculiarly sided room. Her head rested on her shoulder, her eyes relaxed as she starred into the gloom.

The heavy leather bound books began to shift as the Cirrus started to wake up. Soft groans drowned by the laughter, as he once again tried to pull himself up. The books lay scattered on the floor like bodies, discarded as if they were garbage, while Icarus towered over them like a murderer. The young man slowly shuck his head clear of the fog, blinking away the scarlet fluid that dripped into his eyes from a gash above his eyebrow. Icarus was panting hard, as the blood started to seal his right eye shut.

“Megara…stop…this,” he wheezed, his clear blue eye trying to meet Megara’s, as he slowly moved towards her with difficulty.

Her head slowly moved to meet Icarus’ eyes, as her smile turned feral, those swirling eyes almost like starlight, but shone with a sinister depth. The laughter slowly stopped.

“Oh young Cirrus; the one caster who shall keep the balance of the worlds even, and take on the dark no matter the cost to himself. The last of his kind, as he refuses to let love enter his icy heart, nor let passion cloud his all seeing vision,” a deep echoing voice came from the darkness, as a figure slowly came into the firelight. His hair bright white and his eyes the colour of fresh blood, his body wrapped in a black cloak. A small smile curved his lips to look like he was a cat who got the cream.

Icarus growled, “Slash. What are you doing here?”

Slash slowly flicked his fringe away from his compelling eyes, as he continued to smile. His soft footsteps walking towards young Megara with effortlessness that Icarus couldn’t find. Megara looked at the man walking towards her with a strange softness, moving within the white circle to be closer.

“Poor Icarus. Always alone…Starring at the world through the glass of his abilities,” Slash now stood just outside the circle, reaching through the vortex to cup her cheek.

Megara’s eyes flickered shut as she began to purr, the man’s smile intensified. His next words spoken with a velvet texture, “She’s mine.”

Chapter 6

Icarus stood frozen amongst the fallen books, starring at Megara as she nuzzled the hand on her cheek. His stomach bubbling like acid and his fists clenched.

“Oh look, dear one. The Cirrus is getting mad. Oh whatever should I do?” Slash’s sarcastic voice booming, as Icarus’ had his ears filled with his blood pounding.

“Get away from her,” the young man’s voice was shaking, as was his fists, the knuckles now white. He slowly turned his attention to Megara; his tone softened, “Please Megara. Come back.”

Megara continued to smile in her lost way, still within the glowing circle, shutting her eyes as she cooed. Slash gently moved his pale lips to her ear and whispered something, his crimson eyes constantly meeting Icarus’.

The ivory haired man continued to stroke the young vampiress’ cheek, “She is no longer listening to you. She is mine. I told you all those years ago; you either take what you want or expect it to be taken from you.”

“Get away from her!”

“Awww, your no fun anymore,” he lovingly stroked her cheek. “If you want her, come and claim her. Or is that against your precious oath?”

Icarus roared, as power encased him in a potent aura. His hand moving to his side as from no where, a large sword was created. The handle made well worn leather, with the hilt moulded to look as if the blade had been grown instead of crafted. The blade shimmered with an unearthly emerald shine, as the ancient runes glowed like rubies. The Cirrus’ face torn between fury and joy, as he felt his power surge through his body, the papers and books flying as if they were birds away from the imposing male.

Slash smiled with pure malevolence, as he drew his hand away from Megara’s cheek, with a spin, he drew his black cloak away from his body, to reveal a black shirt similar to his opponents. The same black leather trousers and tight boots. His other skeletal hand going to the hilt of the blade sheathed on his back. Slash slowly unsheathed his blade, as sword looked as if it had been carved from the darkness itself. The dark runes gleaming with a dark pulsating energy, as the ivory haired Slash moved to stand opposite the brave Cirrus.

The energy grated against each other, as the males’ eyes made contact showing a burn of power within each of them. The vortex from the circle fading as Slash siphoned off its energy to surround the two warriors within their own energy field.

Megara’s eyes fell shut as her body collapsed to the floor, curled into herself as her breathing become slow and shallow. Icarus’ head turned towards the girl, trying to make his voice heard over the roar of the whirlpool surrounding him and his enemy.

Slash smile was wiped clean, as he flashed to be just in front of his opponent. Icarus barely got his sword up against his chest in time to stop the blow.

“No matter what you do young Icarus. You will always fail,” Slash’s voice barely louder than a whisper.

The blue eyed male pushed his blade up, to push the other warrior away, as he said, “This time it will be you who fails.” His eyes illuminating to be a bright blue.

Chapter 7

The two males faced each other, their blades swung into position. A whirlwind began to swirl around them taking the papers up so they flew like birds around them.. The remaining books neatly stacked on their shelves trembled as if in fear of the two warriors.

Slash roared as Icarus remained silent charging at each other, the sound of metal against metal rang throughout the mansion. Icarus’ eyes pure electric blue, as he forced Slash back bringing his blade to drive into his opponents belly. The strike hit metal as Slash countered those red glowing eyes spoke of evil. The blades clashed together, meeting each other in pure skill.

The two men stand there facing each other amidst the whirlwind of their power; their blades bright and they're bodies gleaming with energy.

As Icarus yells to the wind; "I won’t let you hurt her Slash!"

Charging at the other man, the young Cirrus pivoting just before reaching the ivory haired male. Arching his blade into a spin bringing his sword viciously down upon Slash. He barely had time to block the incoming sword blow before darting backwards to sneer at Icarus; "Are you going to protect the girl boy?"

He charges at Icarus, bringing his blade hard in a wide horizontal arc. Icarus parrying with ease as blades’ energy crackling off each other like sparks from flint as the two men stare each other down.

Slash begins the second charge; first bringing his blade in a strong powerful arc that extends horizontally. As Icarus charges towards him at the same moment spinning into his own arc but as he observes Slash's movement he drops his spin lower to duck under Slash's attack. Icarus then making his own attack throwing Slash's blade out of position; the Cirrus slid his sword wetly across his enemy’s stomach in a blow that would've disembowelled any normal man left him only bleeding heavily.

Slash leapt backward to avoid another critical blow from Icarus. The brown haired male comes out of his spin with the glint of death in his eye as his voice a mere whisper as he says "Die."

Swinging the blade from high aloft in a single movement downwards; a blast of energy travelled along the ground and smashed Slash into the bookcases, several books landing across the floor. Slowly the pale haired challenger grunted getting to his feet, while Icarus charged towards him. Slash raises his sword high bringing it downwards fast like a whips, cutting through Icarus’ face and neck, roaring in triumph. His sense of victory fleeting as the image of Icarus disappearing before his eyes. Slash’s eyes slowly widening as he feels a presence behind him. Pivoting to meet Icarus’ eyes, before feeling the blade miss him as he dodges the blow, unable to miss the next as it connects with the crimson eyed man’s shoulder. The blow leaving a deep bloody gash showing the white bone of his shoulder.

“Give up Slash!” Icarus roared over the noise of the vortex, his blade now glowing white.

Slash howled in pain holding his injured shoulder as completion comes to him. Making desperate gamble flash stepping to Megara’s side. Instantly; before Icarus can react, he slide the shimmering blade across her white throat lacerating the skin wide open. Grinning as her life’s essence drenches the dust ridden carpet.

“What now? Chase me and leave her to die or let me escape and attempt to save her pathetic life?”

“I’ll get you. I promise!” Icarus yells at the fading Slash as his laughter echoes around the room.

Icarus dashed towards the circle as the blood began to pool under Megara.

Chapter 8

The blood thick and dark as if a rich red wine. As the iron smell hit Icarus, he skidded to her side, her soft gurgling coughs pulled at his long forgotten heart. His eyes seeping back to normal, but still the same amazing blue colour; throwing his blade to one side with a dull thud of metal on carpet; sending plumes of dust into the air. The young looking Cirrus loomed over the girl as she fought for breath; “Stay with me Megara, stay with me!”

The vampiress’ eyes slightly opened to show the light violet colour, as her hand slowly reached up to touch Icarus’ cheek. Her voice bubbly, as blood slowly ran down the corner of her lips, her soft cheeks started to look like snow, “Ic-Icarus.”

“Please don’t try to speak….Please stay with me Megara,” He gently moved her head onto his knees, as his knuckles ran down her cheek. The woman’s eyes slowly fading, “NO! Megara stay awake!”

Megara’s eyes shut, her skin like a snowflake; as her chest barely moved with each breath. The man who held her trembled, his powers began to build within his body. The emotions within his heart made it grow heavier, crystal tears rolled down his eyes as he watched her fade.

“NO! Not again! NOT THIS TIME!” Icarus roared, as pure green light exploded from his shaking form. His eyes back to being a pure electric blue, his hands moving with a confidence unlike before. One callused hand went to her heart the other scared, over her throat. Icarus’ lips turned blue as he began to mouth words at an unbelievable speed.

The air around the pair began to pulse as if it were alive. Megara gave a final sigh. Her body limp on Icarus’ lap. The roar of anguish sounded throughout the dark and empty library. As he grabbed his sword, slashing his throat enough to leave a cut. He pulled her limp body into his chest, as his trembling hands pulled Megara’s cyanosed lips to his bleeding throat, as he began to chant once more, the tears leaving deep grove marks on his cheeks.

Every other word he choked on, as he shut his eyes trying to concentrate on his casting. His dark chocolate coloured hair floating over his face and sticking to his wet cheeks. He gasped as he felt as though a cold hand had clenched over his heart. His eyes flew open and he head snapped back. His once blue eyes now bleeding slowly into darkness

Chapter 9

A choking gasp filled the air. Megara’s eyes slowly fluttered open with a soft groan.

“Shhhhh. Shhh. Megara, I need you to stay still and let me work,” Icarus’ voice soft but stern, as his fingers slowly brushed her scarred skin. The skin slowly knitting together as the girl whimpered in pain, her eyes fluttering like a humming bird’s wings but remaining shut. Slowly the skin healed till the only reminder of the horrific attack was a thin white line along her throat.

Gently as he could he lifted Megara into his arms, laying her carefully onto the table as if she were crystal. As he slowly scanned the room for any trace of Slash, his eyes drawn to the broken circle on the floor.

His soft footsteps reverberated off the bookshelves, as the silence now was suffocating. The books lay scattered on the floor, the pages that had come loose looking like ghosts on the dust floor. Gradually he drew nearer to the chalk markings, as Icarus crouched he noticed something was wrong. The black book was gone.

“Damn it…” his voice almost silent as he scanned the room, while on the inside he berated himself for his stupidity.

“Icarus,” her soft voice floated over to him, as she steadily sat up, her crimson hair covering her porcelain face, as she spoke again, “He took the book hasn’t he?”

“Yes Megara, he took the book. Why did he want it so badly?” Icarus’ voice stern.

“That book….” She soft sighed, before bringing her white hand to her face, “Has the whole history of my kind, my family and how to find the Immortal Crystal.”

“THE Immortal Crystal? The one source in this world that can change the balance! Why have you kept this to yourself Megara!” Icarus’ voice full of astonishment, as this crystal was a possession many had died for and it had been under his nose for decades.

“Because as part of Darkside it was my duty and an honour to protect it and now….Now one of the most dangerous men of all time now has it. If Slash finds it before we do, then it would have been better for you to let me die; rather than be indebted to a Cirrus.” Megara’s voice grave, as she moved her hair back to show those incredibly clear violet eyes.

“Oh Megara….” He whispered, before shaking his head, “So what do we do?”

Chapter 10

Icarus slowly stands to look at the young vampire, her shoulder forced down with the heavy burden of knowledge. He had heard of the Immortal Crystal as a young boy. It’s most powerful gift was that it gave it’s holder immortality but Slash may also know it hold the power over others. The thought of it being in the hands of Slash made him shiver with regret in letting him go so easily.

Megara slowly slipped from the table, crashing to her knees. The Cirrus dashed forward to help her up, “Megara you need more blood,” he softly whispered in her ear, lifting his wrist to her lips.

Roughly she pushed his arm away, unsteadily moving out of his arms. “I will drink when I need to!”

She crashed to her knees trembling, her arms tight around her body as she attempted to get back to her feet. Icarus moved to help only to have his hand slapped away. Gradually she got to her feet, as she said, “Go Icarus. Get out of this mansion!”

“Megara, you need me to help you!” Icarus implored to the girl his heart getting heavier within his chest. Something was not right, his skin felt too tight.

“I told you to go Icarus!” Megara didn’t look at him, as she stumbled away from the library.

He trembled, he stomach churned madly as though it was full of acid. His skin covered in goosebumps and a thin layer of sweat. He crashed into the table smashing it into splinters.

Megara heard the crash and slowly creeped back in. He was on the floor writhing and convulsing, as though he were being shocked. He began to scream, sending chills down her spine. The sound seemed to rip out his throat from the agony.

She slowly moved to touch his shoulder, when he stopped altogether. The silence overbearing, but all she could hear was the blood rushing in her ears. Her voice unsteady as she whispered, “Icarus?”

His eyes snapped open, as all the eye was the colour of tar. A cruel smile spread across his lips, as his tongue darted across his lips; as an animalistic growl emitted from his throat. Megara fell back and began to crawl rapidly towards the door. Icarus easily got to his feet and was upon her before she could reach the remnants of the table. Those pitiless eyes staring into her lavender ones, as he took a sniff and growled. “Mmmmmmm….Food.”

Chapter 11

Icarus loomed over the trapped Megara. Her fear shinning on her cheeks and glowing in her wide eyes. He slowly licked the sickly sweet sweat running down her exposed throat. Her pulse thundering against his hot tongue. His eyes boring their darkness into hers.

She slowly curled her legs up into her body. Icarus totally entranced by the feel of her racing pulse against his lips. Forgotten was his cool calm demeanour, replaced with bloodlust and anger so potent that his very blood felt like magma.

She knew she only had one chance at this, if she should fail…. No one would appose Slash.

Throwing he muscles in her legs against his body she surprised him, throwing his form away from her giving her the precious seconds she needed to escape the library.

The adrenaline now pumping through her body, her mind swirling trying to make sense in the fog of fear. Before she could think she was half way down the staircase. Then she heard it. The howl. Echoing hunger and need.

Jumping off the banister she vaulted the staircase landing, dropping to her knees. Her legs jarred from the impact, they screamed in agony. Stumbling across the hallway. The snarling loud now, ending cold sweat down her back.

It was her fault. Why did he get so close? If she hadn’t of bit him. Shaking her head sternly speaking to herself inside her head; survive now, think of Icarus later.

The bellow alerted her as she spun. His aura a pulsing black as saliva ran down his chin. He howled once more before leaping down to her.

She ran. Heading towards the right. Her mind trying to think lost in the tendrils of her fear. Icarus was right behind her slobbering and snarling.

Pots and pans clattering to the floor as she ran through the kitchen. The discarded pans slowing him down slightly. Her ears deafened to all but the cry of Icarus, the sound between that of a bloodhound and that of a man.

Tumbling through the backdoor. Slamming it behind her. The door rattling from the beast that once was Cirrus Icarus as he attempted to escape the house. An old panel of wood lay amongst the clutter of the garden. It used to be part of the shed. It lay just out of her reach almost hidden under the overgrown grass.

Her chest heaving as she gasped like a revived drowned victim. Keeping one hand firmly secured to the door she stretched towards the wood.

Her fingers barely scraping against the very edge.

The howling now high pitched as she used the tips of her right boot to draw the wood closer. Her eyes squeezed shut as she silently wept and prayed. The door violently shaking and banging within its frame. Threatening to shatter at any moment.

She felt a soft thud against her left boot. She got it! Bending to grab the wood the door shifted. It was not going to hold much longer. Her strength that of a babe compared to his. She slammed the wood, once in her grip, into place under the handle wedging the door into place. Slowly backing away she saw the door trembling.

“Sorry…so sorry….” The tears dripping to the ground. She ran to the front of the mansion.

She saw it Icarus’ most prize possession his sleek black GSX 1300R. Black and shiny, its wheels large and midnight like the smooth body, with 1340cc engine, it was fast. It’s why Icarus had got it, he lived for speed. Throwing her leg over the large sleek midnight body. She twisted the key, the machine growled beneath her like a trapped beast, as she kicked the stand off. Slowly she squeezed the throttle, sending the bike into a three hundred and sixty spin.

The powerful snap of the wood going followed by a bellow. The wild beast shaped like a man that once was Icarus came charging towards her.

Letting go of the brake, the bike was pulled up onto to its back tire as it sped. Crashing through the iron wrought gates, snapping them like twigs.

Chapter 12

The bike between her leather clad thighs growled like the beast she left behind. Her tears rolled hotly down her cheeks no longer knowing if it was from the guilt or from the wind blasting her eyes, as her flame like hair flew in the wind.

The darkness slowly changed as her mind drained into memory The first time she met the young Cirrus. Her lips were at a cut he had gorged into his throat, his arm tightly around her whispering softly, “Don’t me a liar little one. Stay here…Come away from the dark.”

Those endless crystal luminous eyes were what struck her first, glowing in the dark of the ruined ballroom. His callused hands soothing the tears from her cheeks as he realised she was awake, whispering, “It okay M’lady..It’s going to be okay.”

He arms pulling her into his body protecting her as her mind finally caught up. What once was her whole life came crashing down upon her, her body trembled as her eyes went to the other side of his throat. Icarus just held the young vampiress, feeling her mourning as he rocked and murmered nonsense into her ruby hair.

“My name is Icarus…..I’m sorry I wasn’t here to save them,” the young strangers voice full of mourning, but the deepness shocked and somehow soothed her. “I made a vow to protect you Megara….”

Megara snapped to her senses, growling like the machine, “Snap out of it….He’s not here now get a hold of yourself and get to Godshill.”

Rearing the beast of a machine she revved the engine sending it racing into the gloom.

Chapter 13

Angels Meadow. It was a quaint little village. All the cottages had large thatched roofs and all the roads were narrow lanes. Perfect if you were riding a bike. All those tight bends. The village was silent and the windows dark. Dawn was two hours away.

Megara slowed the bike down so it purred beneath her. The house she was looking for was in the village centre. Well it wasn’t a cottage more like a small shop owned by an old friend of the family.

The people of the village, didn’t know that their village was home to some of the most dangerous supernatural beings in the world. It was said that the first inhabitants of the village were two fallen angels, and they built their house in the centre of the meadow. The remains of the house still stood there today, burnt out, making it a tourist spot; none if any of the current residents minded it.

Slowly Megara rolled the bike around to the back of a smaller house, in front stood two tables and against the side a folded advertisement. Selene’s Fortunes! Come have your future revealed.

Mortals, Megara thought, No matter how long they remain they still wish to know what will happen.

Slowly switching the bike off and propping it up on it stand with a soft click. The vampires moved to the front door. Softly tapping on the door, she knew that Selene would be asleep, but she had no where else to go at this point.

Chapter 14

Slowly Megara rapped her knuckles against the old door. After a few moments a small hunched women answered. Her hair slowly peppered with white patched, as a small smile lit up her wrinkled face. Her oak eyes wise but happy to see the young woman in front of her.

“Megara? Dear child what are you doing at my door at three in the morning?” Selene’s voice full of concern, as the vampire went to speak to be cut off. “Never mind child. Come in.”

Selene moved to one side ushering the exhausted girl into her house.

Shutting the door behind Megara as she moved to make a large pot of tea. “Sit down in the sitting room child, please.”

Megara simple nodded her arms curved around her body, as she moved into the small living room. The living room was dark, but cosy. Two large highback chairs sat around a small circular table, where sat a small crystal ball. Megara smiled as I folded herself into a chair. Her mind a whirl of action of past and present events. A soft smile tugging at her lips as she remembered the last time she sat in the chair.

At five years old her mother had brought her to Angel’s Meadow to introduce her to Selene. Selene had be kind and gentle to the shy girl, teaching her how to make cookies and how to make peppermint tea.

Those fond memories shone through Megara’s eyes as she slowly burst into tears shaking. She felt warm thin arms surround her as a soft song was hummed in her ear soothing her. Slowly Megara stop shaking leaning into the soft warm comfort, of the only other woman she loved.

“Now, tell me what brings you to my home at this time of night.” Slowly she moved a small ottoman to Megara’s chair. Slowly Megara spoke of the events that brought her to Angel’s Meadow.

“I don’t know what to do Serene. Icarus…I-I made him into a monster.” Sobbing into her hands as her shoulder shook.

Selene placed a hand on her shoulder, “The Cirrus will be fine child. The venom from you will wear off, but he probably will not remember why you are no longer at Darkside. He may not even remember his battle with Slash.” Softly sighing she slowly moved to sit down in the chair opposite the young vampire. “How much do you know of the Cirrus clan?”

Slowly Megara lifted her head, “Not much. Only that Icarus is a Cirrus and that he vowed to protect me.” Her voice slowly trailing off at the last few words.

Selene nodding, slowly pulled out a tattered set of cards slowly shuffling, as she spoke quietly. “The Cirrus clan are ancient. Their magic calls on the elements and the souls of people.” She lay a card on the table, it was the Nine of wands, “There was a great battle in the Cirrus clan and only one survived to tell the tale.” Her wise eyes meeting Megara’s.

“Icarus, “ Her voice a whisper.

Selene nodded, “Her survived but with the knowledge he had killed his brethren apart from one. Slash.” Slowly she flipped another card, Death. Megara’s skin paled further. “There were many deaths and a renewal, a babe was born into the Vampiric Courts. She was said to bring hope where there was none.”

“You mean me?” Megara stared into the woman’s eyes her hands trembling.

“Yes and no.” Slowly drawing the next card and laying it in front of Megara. The Lovers. “No one’s path is alone.”

Hey everyone, I haven't been on much and I apologise but I thought I would return to this story and ask what you think.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

For those who have been following this story the following are new chapters:

Chapter 14

Slowly Megara rapped her knuckles against the old door. After a few moments a small hunched women answered. Her hair slowly peppered with white patched, as a small smile lit up her wrinkled face. Her oak eyes wise but happy to see the young woman in front of her.

“Megara? Dear child what are you doing at my door at three in the morning?” Selene’s voice full of concern, as the vampire went to speak to be cut off. “Never mind child. Come in.”

Selene moved to one side ushering the exhausted girl into her house.

Shutting the door behind Megara as she moved to make a large pot of tea. “Sit down in the sitting room child, please.”

Megara simple nodded her arms curved around her body, as she moved into the small living room. The living room was dark, but cosy. Two large highback chairs sat around a small circular table, where sat a small crystal ball. Megara smiled as I folded herself into a chair. Her mind a whirl of action of past and present events. A soft smile tugging at her lips as she remembered the last time she sat in the chair.

At five years old her mother had brought her to Angel’s Meadow to introduce her to Selene. Selene had be kind and gentle to the shy girl, teaching her how to make cookies and how to make peppermint tea.

Those fond memories shone through Megara’s eyes as she slowly burst into tears shaking. She felt warm thin arms surround her as a soft song was hummed in her ear soothing her. Slowly Megara stop shaking leaning into the soft warm comfort, of the only other woman she loved.

“Now, tell me what brings you to my home at this time of night.” Slowly she moved a small ottoman to Megara’s chair. Slowly Megara spoke of the events that brought her to Angel’s Meadow.

“I don’t know what to do Serene. Icarus…I-I made him into a monster.” Sobbing into her hands as her shoulder shook.

Selene placed a hand on her shoulder, “The Cirrus will be fine child. The venom from you will wear off, but he probably will not remember why you are no longer at Darkside. He may not even remember his battle with Slash.” Softly sighing she slowly moved to sit down in the chair opposite the young vampire. “How much do you know of the Cirrus clan?”

Slowly Megara lifted her head, “Not much. Only that Icarus is a Cirrus and that he vowed to protect me.” Her voice slowly trailing off at the last few words.

Selene nodding, slowly pulled out a tattered set of cards slowly shuffling, as she spoke quietly. “The Cirrus clan are ancient. Their magic calls on the elements and the souls of people.” She lay a card on the table, it was the Nine of wands, “There was a great battle in the Cirrus clan and only one survived to tell the tale.” Her wise eyes meeting Megara’s.

“Icarus, “ Her voice a whisper.

Selene nodded, “Her survived but with the knowledge he had killed his brethren apart from one. Slash.” Slowly she flipped another card, Death. Megara’s skin paled further. “There were many deaths and a renewal, a babe was born into the Vampiric Courts. She was said to bring hope where there was none.”

“You mean me?” Megara stared into the woman’s eyes her hands trembling.

“Yes and no.” Slowly drawing the next card and laying it in front of Megara. The Lovers. “No one’s path is alone.”

Chapter 15

Megara sat back in her chair. Selene had left over an hour ago, but she had told the vampire to stay until the following night. The three cards laid in front of her. Her mind working over time, trying to work out the meaning. What was Selene trying to tell her? Was Icarus the key to finding Slash? Was she meant to be with Icarus?

Megara shook her head, an attempt to clear it as she placed her forehead onto her knees. It was ridiculous. A vampire to be with anyone like Icarus? She would be burnt in the sun before she were allowed. The council of elders, would personally kill her, that is if the White Knights don’t do it for them.

The retched human killers. Hunting her spieces down until only she remained of the pure blood line. Unlike other she could go months without feeding while other had mere weeks. The council. While most where almost pure like her they had traces of human in them; making them weak compared to Megara. How they despised that.

Her thoughts turned to the events after her eighteenth birthday. The council had assembled in the great hall. The tiles old roman mosiac, but beautifully made into a scene of a great castle. The walls showed brick, making the room feel more like a cellar. The walls only ordained with strips of material that showed the thirteen great families that made up the Vampiric Court.

Megara wearing an ocean dress, slowly glided across the floor. Her scarlet head piled atop of her head, but nothing could disguise the dark shadows under her violet eyes; nor the pain that leaked through from her soul.

Twelve men sat at a long row. Originally their had been thirteen, her father being the last member. His seat, more like a throne seated to the right of centre, lay empty. The large blue shield with twin blades crossing was the mark of the Firstblood family. Megara felt wetness on her cheek, as she slowly knelt before the men, feeling their blood hungry eyes drinking her in.

Marcus the oldest council member and chair; slowly spoke his voice echoing off the walls of the chamber. “Megara Firstblood, you stand with the charge of murder on your head.”

Megara’s head shot up, “Sir I have not murdered anyone. It was Slash, Sir”

“Silence you murderous imbecilic girl,” a dark haired man stood at the far side of the table on the left hand side, Jonah. Jonah had never liked the Firstblood family, but Megara never knew why. His face like a hawk, but those eyes reminded her of a starved tiger.

Megara lowered her head, gritting her teeth.

Marcus nodded at Jonah before he sat. “As I said. You have a murder charge against you, however Icarus Terin of the Cirrus clan has spoken on your behalf. He states that he had been warned and that you had no idea what had occurred. It therefore the decision of this council, that you are banished from the courts. Stripped of your titles and turned out of this hall.”

Megara’s body trembled as she whispered. “The Council is merciful.”

Slowly she lifted her head starring at the cards in front of her. Is this my fate? She wondered, did I escape merely because I was late to the party or is fate trying to show me a new road.

Chapter 16

The following evening she woke in Serene’s basement. Starring up at the bared wood struts that held the ceiling up, Megara was truly grateful to the witch. Pushing her body from the beaten and raggedy sofa she had to stifle a laugh. Poor human who thought she would sleep in a coffin like the dead.

Looking around the almost empty room. The beaten up sofa and jar covered shelves covered the walls, apart from the squeaky staircase. Slowly standing, as she stretched her bones cracked. Taking the stairs two at a time, she headed to the kitchen. The corridor towards it, had a small chest of drawers with delicate pieces of pottery on it. A small smile curved on the young vamperiess face, as she remembered how Selene kept her silverwear outside the kitchen as it was only for special occasions. A small memory of sitting in the parlour her legs to short so her feet swung in the chair, as her mother and Selene sat with delicate ivory cup sipping tea and chatting. Megara had a large glass of milk, so very creamy as Selene said that it was fresh milk. Her small moment of happiness as she heard the voices coming from the kitchen.

“Yes. I understand,” Selene said her voice sounding defeated.

“They both must be destroyed. It is not your duty to protect the girl. She is a murderous and traitorous Erder.” Megara felt sick as she heard Jonah’s voice. Why was he here and how in all of Paradise had he found her?

Slowly moving backwards, her hands clenched. As the voices behind the door became louder.

“She will die Selene. It will be my hand and you have no power over the Night.”

“She is innocent Sir. She knows it. I know it. If the council do not know it then they are blind!”

Megara’s hand twitching by her side as she took a long deep breath. She had forgotten her weapons. They were still at Darkside. Slowly she turned and that’s when the idea hit her.

“Selene? Are you okay?” her voice soft, as her mind slowly working out the finer details. Her hand knocking on the door as she moved to stand to one side. The door snapped off it’s hinges as Jonah, in all his pale resentment charged out. Megara swung her leg and smashed it to his head. The male’s eyes glowing scarlet as he snarled his fury. Charging towards her. Megara took her stance, hearing Selene’s scream of desperation.

The pair collided into the dresser sending the small figurines shattering to the floor. The drawers coming loose as they vomited their contents onto the worn carpet under them. Jonah was atop of Megara his hands around her slender throat. She gasped under his roughened and strong hands, her own around his wrists trying to pull him off.

His voice a roar of desperation, “WHY DID YOU SURVIVE!”

Megara choking as she pulled her knee up and smashed his balls not once but three times before he released her throat

“You are a Fwert,” Megara’s voice raw and burned as she tried to speak, curling her legs under her body before kicking her legs out. Jonah smashed into the wall with a grunt. His eyes showing pain behind the arterial blood glow.

“You shall pay.” He slowly limped away and out of the house. Megara’s throat bruised as she slowly coughed wincing. She stood leaning against the wall, before slowly cleaning up the mess.

“I’m sorry Selene. I shall leave tonight.”

The older woman grabbed Megara and clutched her to her breast, softly weeping into her hair. “Thank the Goddess above you are okay.”

“Shhhh. Selene I am fine. He on the other hand may need an operation.” Megara slowly wrapped her arms around the smaller woman.

Selene laughed saying softly, “If you leave tonight there is something I must give you. I only ask that you do not feel any anger towards me nor your beloved mother.”

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 17

“What do you mean?” Slowly moving back to meet the witch in the eye. “What do you have of my mothers?”

Selene slowly took the young woman’s hand leading her through the house towards Selene’s private workspace.

Memories flashed through her mind of following her mother down this corridor, the sky had just darkened. Megara’s mind was full of playful joy as Selene had given her a small doll with a delicate face. Megara’s hair curling into her large violet eyes, everyone who had seen her mentioned her strange eyes. Ensis, her mother, had told her to stay in the lounge and play with her new doll but as a child she had been curious and wanted to know what her mother was doing. Making a game of it she hopped from one flower on the carpet to another. Being quiet.

Megara snapped back to reality as they stood in front of the door. The door frame had several runics carved into the wood, the smell of sage and wood smoke seeming to be stained into the walls.

Slowly Serene pulled a rusty corroded black key from a pocket. Pushing it into the lock she slowly unlocked the door. The room was exactly how Megara remembered it. The old worktable, the huge selves filled with jars and books. Serene moved into the room, and disappered among the shelves. As the young vampire moved to stand where her mother had stood, stroking the scratched oak table tenderly. As tears slowly ran down her cheeks. How she missed her mother.

The old witch made her way to the table carrying an engraved box. As long as Megara’s arm, and a hand span wide, Serene handed her the box. “Ensis would have wanted you to have this.”

• 3 months later...

Chapter 18

Icarus slowly crouched on the edge of the skyscraper. His once summer sky eyes now as black as coal as he stared down in disdain at the humans below. His body tight like the predator ready to strike, his jacket flapping in the wind. Terra his once blade of light now ebony and throbbing with demonic energies. The dark swirling runics running along his bare tawny arms, where the sleeves have been ripped away. A cruel smile running over his lips as he slowly stands. His chest exposed to show the livid scars that would have been his death. The dark markings carved into his chest as they ooze black blood.

Pouncing into the alley. The young girl's startled cornflower blue eyes meeting the soulless of the predator. Slowly back up, her rucksack falls from her fingers. Slamming into the wall, as she pants in pure terror. The sweet taste of fear slid down Icarus' throat; as he presses almost like a lover would, against her body.

"Mmmm....Bad doggie. You should have run." His voice a low husk, as his snake like tongue run along her pulse. Her fearful whimpers echoed into the darkness,"Your going to send a message to the Pack for me."

"Wh-what message?" her voice trembling and her eyes too wide amongst her hair that clung to her damp cheeks.

"This...." His blade piercing through her chest. Her eyes in shock as blood dribble down her chin, giving little coughs. "If you should live...Tell them Slash and I say hello."

Chapter 18 Part 2

The old witch made her way to the table carrying an engraved box. As long as Megara’s arm, and a hand span wide, Serene handed her the box. “Ensis would have wanted you to have this.”

Gently collecting the box from the elderly woman, she set it down on the table, staring at the intricate design of knots and runics carved into the dark polished wood. The clasps old and almost rusted shut from lack of use. Megara laid her hand over the wood muttering, "This cannot be...It can't be...."

Slowly opening the clasps up and opening the box carefully. Inside the case lay a blade. The hilt carved in bone, showing pictures of the slain. The blade itself red, the runics embedded into the metal dull for the moment. "Aevum," she whispered as her fingers moved along the center of the blade. The runics bursting into white light, almost scorching hot. Megara's eyes wide as a tear coarse down her cheek. The blade was her mother's. If it had been by her mother's side she would have survived.

Pure anger roared through her veins. "Why do you have my mother's blade Selene!"

"She gave it me years before the threat of Slash was known young one. If she had knew sooner she would have had it by her side. As it is she is gone. There is nothing we can do but remember the dead, and save the living." Selene's voice was patient and understanding. She knew that the young vampiress had been through so much pain, and yet more was to come. Gently picking the blade up from the case, Selene lay it into the other woman's hands. "Your mother said to me that it is what you choose to do with this blade that decides its purpose."

Megara nodded slowly as she slowly sheathed the blade into her jacket; her mind reeling from the information she was given. She had a new purpose now. She needed to find the Immortal Crystal before Slash, otherwise who knows how anyone would survive.

• 2 months later...

Chapter 19

The bike purred beneath her, as her eyes shone from the glow of the city lights getting closer. It had been three days since she had left the city however it felt more like a lifetime ago. Still questions ran like a pack of wolves through her mind.

Why had the council been hunting her?

Why had they gone to Selene

Why had her mother given Selene Aevum?

Aevum....A blade that was nearly as bloody as her past. An ancient sword that had protected her kind for centuries but had failed in it's duty by not being present at her family's demise. The threat to her kind was always there, by being the last of her bloodline it was her duty; still the image of her mother's corpse plagued her. The thought of the blade on her back, which could have saved her was in the hands of another.

Megara's vision blurred as she roughly pushed the tears away. Crying would not save her nor would it save the humans which she refused to to feed upon. Kicking the bike into overdrive she roared through the city towards the Darkside Institute.

Above the city, Icarus' snow like hair blew with the breeze falling into his eyes now the very essence of darknes. A cruel smile curving his lips. His tawny chest on show fromed by his leather trenchcoat, crouched low as he watched "Her". The one woman in the world who could free him.

"It's not nice to sneak up on me...Master," Icarus' voice a low almost seductive whisper.

Slowly the stranger climbed from the shadows smiling. No happiness nor joy was in his pitless eyes. "Kill her Icarus, then you will be free," Slash's words soft like a lover's caress.

"Your will is mine...Master," with those words Icarus bowed and jumped from the building.

"All the pieces are falling into place," Slash purred before melting back into the darkness.

Megara slowly crunched along the graveled driveway. Where it all started, her thoughts clear. She had to find Icarus and make sure he was okay before going after Slash. Slowly walking through the carved doors. The entrance hall still held the musty smell of decay, splinters and broken pieces from the once glorious stairway lay on the dust filled carpet.

Her footsteps dully echoed as she walked towards the stairs.Turning slowly to face the doors. Three days since Icarus walked through those doors to say Slash was coming for her. Three days since she failed in her duty as Ghardian of the book. Her hand fisted at her side. She refused to fail again; she would not fail.

"So you decided to return, kid."

Slowly her head turned back towards the staircase. Icarus' white hair falling into those glacier blue eyes.

"Icarus...." Megara whispered, unable to stop herself from almost charging up towards him, colliding into his chest. "I'm so sorry...." stammering as she trembled, her hands fisting the back of his shirt.

"Shhh....It's okay....I'll put you at rest...." his lips curving into a cruel smile.

Chapter 20

Megara gently leaned into Icarus’ body, but something wasn’t right. Her hands slowly unclenched. Icarus’ body was cold, that was not right. Icarus’ was warm. Slowly turning her head up to meet his black soulless eyes.

Megara pushed Icarus’ hard from her, her hand on the hilt of Aevum. “What did you do with Icarus?” Her voice steadier, making her sound braver than she felt.

“Aww. Love I haven’t done anything. This is me, Megara.” His voice a thick purr as he slowly walked towards her, as she backed away. “Come here sweetheart, let me welcome you home.” His hand cupped a black fire ball, licking his finger tips as he hurled it towards the vampiress. The dark ball slammed into her shoulder causing her to scream, her body crumpling to the ground. Shaking as her head slowly tilted up towards the man she once knew.

“Why?” Slow trails ran down her pale cheeks.

“Why? Because my Master asked me too, now die!” Icarus threw another towards her, ducking so it ripped through the wall. Her shoulder a mass of oozing muscle, her jacket and shirt scorched from the ebony flames. Pushing her body up, her legs firm beneath her trembling body. Slowly with her right hand unsheathing the inheritance her mother had left her. Megara starred at the man who had once saved her, praying to those who had left this world for some other way,

“Aw, girlie wants to play.” Icarus sneered at her, his eyes black holes as Megara felt her eyes water, what had happed in the three days since she had left the city. Was this her fault for feeding on him? Moving her left hand slightly with a hiss of pain to take the blade firmly in her hands. The gleaming white metal reminded her of Icarus’ hair. Would it stain the same way? No she could not think of such trivial things at this point.

“Icarus! I thought you hated Slash. Didn’t he destroy your brothers?” Megara could feel her voice starting to become hysterical. Her palms shaking on the hilt of Avevum.

“Aww. The little girl doesn’t understand does she? Well I shall tell you the Cirrus tale. It began just shortly before your fateful birthday. The brothers and I had been asked to create a protection charm for you, in case something should happen to the royal line. However shortly after the piece had been commissioned; Slash had come and offered the brotherhood something else. He offered the brotherhood the book for which you are the sole Ghardian. Now as such that was a hard bargain to refuse, but the brotherhood being the noble fools they were did. I was away at the time of the slaughter collecting the materials needed to make the charm. When I returned the mangled parts of my brothers remains were skew across the floor like dog’s bones and the walls were painted with their blood. I fell into a deep rage and instead of finishing your charm I went to hunt the man who had killed my brothers.”

Megara’s face paled, for the scene this man depicted was so very similar to her own nightmares of her birthday night.

Icarus inky pools met her own eyes, as he stared at her with such a longing, his pink tongue traced the curve of his lips.”That is where I met you. God Megara you in that dress. Crimson laying helpless on the floor as you choked on your own life blood. I was enthralled by your ivory beauty. When you awoke I tried to put my anger to rest. I brought you here, knowing that you would be safe from the world and it’s cruelty; but I couldn’t rest, I...I had to find my revenge.” His hand lay on the wall, as he turned his ebony eyes towards her. Slowly licking his dry lower lip. “The council found you, I was gone by then. Thrown from your birthright, your throne. Yet you remained solid. Yes you were distraught about your family, however....You remained positive about the future. You took up your post as Ghardian.” He slowly walked towards her, his hands shaking as he stared at the woman with longing. “I...I had to get my revenge....I found Slash within the Vampiric Vault.”

His words now panicked as his eyes flickered and flinched at every shadow. Megara kept her blade tight in her hand as she watched her oldest friend be driven mad by his memories. “I had him cornered. He was trying to search for the book. Trying to find the crystal...I knew he wouldn’t find it. But...He...He knew...Megara...He knew you had it...He..He did something to me....Now you must die!” His hand flashed as he charged towards, his eyes full of madness. Megara brought he blade up to feel her arm jarred from the weapon within Icarus’ palms.

The scythe was taller than the man, the curved blade black as his eyes. The staff intwined with vines of black ivy that leaves glowed with a deadly purple light. Inset within the blade was a ruby as crimson as blood, pulsing like a heartbeat. The blade itself double edged as the last rays of sunset shimmered off the metal. Megara’s mouth went dry, her arm throbbing from keeping the curved onyx blade from coming down on her throat. Pushing the man back hard, she threw her body over the railings of the ruined staircase. Shaking as she ran.

A shadow leapt at her from the right, slamming her into the wall. Her injured shoulder screamed in agony as the curved blade came whirling down across her back. Slashing open her jacket and shirt to leave a bloody trail that showed bone. Tears of anguish and pain ran down the girl’s deathly pale cheeks, as she threw her armed hand around to stab the man she once called friend. The blow barely scathed the man, as he laughed manically.

“Run little rabbit...RUN!” He chuckled as he slowly approached, Megara ran. The corridors once full of maddened screams now only echoed her pain. Her feet slamming into the ground as Icarus’ jumped out of the shadows to slash at her pale beauty.

Slamming the last door shut behind her with a yowl of pain, her pants too loud as her heartbeat deafend her. Megara’s eyes darted around the room, her breathing tight as she felt her blood soak into trousers, blinking away the black spots in front of her eyes. A door saying exit to her left, leading towards the roof. As she moved slowly feeling her legs tremble beneath her.

“Oh little princess! Come out. Come out....I want to play a game,” the dark voice she knew cried out. “If you survive you can keep the book. If you do not however, I get to claim the throne of the Vampiric Nation!” Slash’s voice rang out, as Megara climbed the staircase, clinging to the handrail. As the man with hair as white as snow smiled at her. “As I do not know how to read Ferstian but you do...Do you not, my Queen.”

As stated earlier this will be the last chapter I shall be posting here due to lack of interest. This chapter is dedicated to Mae and Renzourin.

Chapter 21

The moonlight shone off Slash’s hair making it look sliver. Megara’s eyes went darker with the potent anger that bubbled inside her. He was the cause od all this and how dare he insult her by giving her the choice between her friend and her duty! Slash just smiled. His pitiless eyes stared at her as the book was under his arm.

Icarus knelt before his master his head lowered in reverence. The only sound was from the blood dripping from her fingertips.

“What do you think of my pet, my Queen?” his voice purred like a well fed cat.

“I am no ones Queen!” Megara felt her rage burning through her veins like her hunger, it made her mouth dry as her eyes flickered between dark violet and red. Damn she thought, I need to feed soon.

“Ah! The true curse of your destiny!” Slash laughed as he knelt down stroking along Icarus’ stubbed cheek. “The last of the pure blood vampires, the heir to the royal line, witness and only survivor of the brutal attack that wiped out your clan. Yet you can barely fight let alone save the only man who holds any feeling for you.” Slash was mocking her weakness. It was true though. How could she be called a Firstblood and yet not be able to save herself or Icarus from their fate?

Do not let him win! Do not doubt yourself now! Something inside her roared with vengeance as her hand gripped the hilt of Avevum tighter. Her parents fought till their last breath and so would she.

“I refuse to let you win!” She roared as her legs charged towards the platinum blonde male, who had haunted her dreams for what seemed an eternity. The faces of her family flashed before her eyes. Her father. Her mother. Her siblings. Icarus.

Swinging her blade down, towards Slash’s head. Icarus brought his scythe up to block the deadly blow, locking it around Avevum.

“You shall not harm my Master” he barely whispered.

“He will destroy us Icarus! Including you!” Wake up!” her voice edged with hysteria as tears lanced down her pale cheeks.

Icarus pulled his blade away sending Avevum sliding across the rooftop. Icarus’ empty stare meeting hers. “This ends tonight Megara!” Rest in peace. My lover!” his voice soft as he brought the curved blade across her neck.Icarus meeting Megara on the rooftops.

“Not before you brother!” a heavily accented male spoke as a dark green blade pierced from the back of Icarus.

nawwwww, i wish it wasn't so. If this is the finale you are pretty cruel leaving it at that...lol Talk about tactical cliff hanger. Ah well, if you ever decide to continue posting then give me a bell, but it is a shame that the lit section's inhabitants don't recognise talent sometimes... -_-'

Anyhoo, brilliant chapter and I hope to read the rest of your work one of these days...