TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Kid Ryan

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-29/tv-tokyo-nihon-ad-terminate-yu-gi-oh-deal-sue-4kids

On March 24, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems filed a joint lawsuit against North American media distributor 4Kids Entertainment, accusing the company of "underpayments, wrongful deductions, and unmet obligations" and stating that 4Kids now owes the companies $4,792,460.36 U.S.D. The Hollywood Reporter website also states that the two companies have terminated their deal with 4Kids.

According to the documents filed by the plaintiffs, the companies conducted an audit on 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! business per their licensing agreement. This audit allegedly uncovered the aforementioned underpayments, as well as a "secret" agreement with FUNimation, allowing them to "exploit" the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise via home video and hide the added income from the plaintiffs. By hiding this income, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems allege that 4Kids was able to pay them a smaller share than would otherwise have been owed to them. The complaint further alleges that 4Kids attempted to hide the secret deal rather than disclosing it as required by their licensing agreement.

Funimation is not listed as a defendant in the complaint.

Update: According to TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems, the terms of their agreement with 4Kids were such that they would be paid 50% of 4Kids' gross income derived from the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. The agreement also allowed 4Kids to enter into licensing agreements for the home video rights for the franchise, provided that they use "customary forms of license agreements."

The plaintiffs allege that 4Kids entered into an agreement with Funimation on March 1, 2002, which granted Funimation "broad right to exploit" the franchise and would pay 4Kids a royalty of 20% of its gross receipts. The plaintiffs then allege that on the same day, the two North American companies entered into a "secret" second agreement for Yu-Gi-Oh! and other titles, under which Funimation undertook the majority of the work releasing home video products and paid 4Kids a $1.3 Million U.S.D. advance and a "service fee" for each sale.

According to the complaint, this service fee added up to $3.934 Million U.S.D. and was not reported as income in 4Kids' quarterly reports. As such, the Japanese companies were not paid royalties from this "kick back."

The complaint further alleges that 4Kids entered into a similar deal with Majesco Entertainment to create Yu-Gi-Oh! videos to be played on Nintendo's GameBoy Advance portable video game console. Under this deal, 4Kids paid royalties on the $366,667 U.S.D. advance paid by Majesco, but reported its $1 kick back per video sold as a service fee, not as income, and did not pay royalties on it.

Does this news mean that the episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's that have not aired english dubbed (Episodes 99-155?), will never air english dubbed now?

(I actually prefer the 4Kids English Dub, despite the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, this could be a blessing in disguise.

if 4Kids stops dubbing, maybe some other company could pick it up, someone which doesn't drastically change plotlines, dialogues and images to make it suitable for 5 year old kids.

i mean, i for one would never have gotten as deep into One Piece as i have today if 4Kids continued dubbing it.

Tbh I never did like 4kids. Hopefully this lets shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! get picked up by better dubbers that don't incredibly dumb the show down. Maybe I can actually watch the series in English again (since i found 5Ds abysmal in dub and can only watch it subbed). Admittedly the original Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't too bad (although this was also before i had the opportunity to choose to watch sub and i was also younger) but anything else they've taken has just imo sucked. I could go down the list of reasons why I cant stand 4kids but its 2:30am and I think I'd rather be getting some sleep soon.

Wow.....4Kids has issues.

I don't mind the English dub either and I was actually planning on finishing the entire thing in English even though it will take over a year at this rate.

With that said, if the dub never gets fully released, I'd just finish the rest of it subbed although it'd take a little getting used to.

Same here, if it stops getting dubbed, I'll switch to subs for the rest of the show.

Well, this could be a blessing in disguise.

If 4Kids stops dubbing, maybe some other company could pick it up, someone which doesn't drastically change plotlines, dialogues and images to make it suitable for 5 year old kids.

If a new company did take over the dubbing of 5D's though, they'd most likely use different english VAs, which would make the new dub "auto fail" in my book.

(Most of the main character's voices are perfect as is)

Not to mention they'd probably focusing on dubbing the episodes that 4kids has already dubbed first (Episodes 1-98), which would suck for people like me that are up to date on the 4kids dub (well, I still need to watch Eps 86-98, but you know what I mean.....)

Tbh I never did like 4kids.Hopefully this lets shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! get picked up by better dubbers that don't incredibly dumb the show down. Maybe I can actually watch the series in English again (since i found 5Ds abysmal in dub and can only watch it subbed). Admittedly the original Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't too bad (although this was also before i had the opportunity to choose to watch sub and i was also younger) but anything else they've taken has just imo sucked. I could go down the list of reasons why I cant stand 4kids but its 2:30am and I think I'd rather be getting some sleep soon.

Do you at least like their english voices?

I hated the 5D's dub with all that shitty annoying and fake British, Scottish, etc.. accents they gave all the characters. I could get use to Jack over time but that Blond girl in the latest dubbed episodes nearly made me puke it was so horrible.

I'm not too sure any other group would pick up Yu-Gi-Oh! though, it's aimed at a younger demographic than most of the other companies usually license for. This lawsuit will likely spell the end of any dubbing of Yu-Gi-Oh! in the United States unless they can come to some sort of agreement with 4kids which is rather unlikely. So for now at least I wouldn't get your hopes up on future 5D's episodes, the new movie, nor ZeXal getting a dub.

I actually also hope this means that yu gi oh may get picked up by a better company, the dub for gx-5D's sucks majorly, the original was alright, save for the crappy ass edits, honestly the only good voice in the whole of 5d's was Yusei and that just means he's mildly tolerable, After watching the first few eps of 5ds dubbed I switched to the subs, so yeah, I really hope this may mean yu gi oh could get a second chance at the english version,

Same here, if it stops getting dubbed, I'll switch to subs for the rest of the show.

If a new company did take over the dubbing of 5D's though, they'd most likely use different english VAs, which would make the new dub "auto fail" in my book.

(Most of the main character's voices are perfect as is)

Not to mention they'd probably focusing on dubbing the episodes that 4kids has already dubbed first (Episodes 1-98), which would suck for people like me that are up to date on the 4kids dub (well, I still need to watch Eps 86-98, but you know what I mean.....)

Do you at least like their english voices?

For the original yes they were decent. GX-5Ds no. GX wasnt too terribad (but still imo lacking), but 5Ds definitely was.

I actually love all of their english dub voices for 5D's.....as well as GX.

I hated the 5D's dub with all that shitty annoying and fake British, Scottish, etc.. accents they gave all the characters. I could get use to Jack over time but that Blond girl in the latest dubbed episodes nearly made me puke it was so horrible.

I'm not too sure any other group would pick up Yu-Gi-Oh! though, it's aimed at a younger demographic than most of the other companies usually license for. This lawsuit will likely spell the end of any dubbing of Yu-Gi-Oh! in the United States unless they can come to some sort of agreement with 4kids which is rather unlikely. So for now at least I wouldn't get your hopes up on future 5D's episodes, the new movie, nor ZeXal getting a dub.

The new movie (Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time?) has already been dubbed by 4Kids, I saw the dub in movie theaters during the first week of May.

I don't like 4kids...

I mean.. look what they did to Mr. Popo =[

So? Just watch the uncut funimation dub, he's still black in it.

While 4Kids' current situation is causing explosions of joy over the net, is anybody else disappointed that the YGO Bonds Beyond Time movie will probably never be released on DVD? (I'm one of those poor unfortunate souls that haven't seen the movie at all ;A; )

Hopefully, VIZ picks it up or something (:

I saw the english dub in movie theaters, so it's not the end of the world to me if the DVD never gets released.

While 4Kids' current situation is causing explosions of joy over the net, is anybody else disappointed that the YGO Bonds Beyond Time movie will probably never be released on DVD? (I'm one of those poor unfortunate souls that haven't seen the movie at all ;A; )

I haven't seen the Bonds Beyond Time movie at all either! I was really looking forward to seeing the dubbed version too. :hguit5:

It's quite sad how much I actually like Yu-Gi-Oh! .... lol

TBH I'm waiting for it to get subbed before watching it.

I saw the english dub in movie theaters, so it's not the end of the world to me if the DVD never gets released.

Dammit! ;3;

I live in Australia and we hardly ever get any of that kind of stuff ;^;

That must've been pretty cool though! :D

I haven't seen the Bonds Beyond Time movie at all either! I was really looking forward to seeing the dubbed version too. :hguit5:

It's quite sad how much I actually like Yu-Gi-Oh! .... lol

LOL~ Same here! I used to love it a lot when I was a kid and being a teenager now...I actually only just got back into it again after watching LK's abridged version XD

I was also really looking forward to seeing it too since it's a nice tie-in for all the YGO protagonists <3 But I never really expected a screening in cinemas for it here in Australia so I was anxiously waiting for the DVD :too_sad:

TBH I'm waiting for it to get subbed before watching it.

So was I! D: But I also want a hardcopy version too --- I think I might have to settle for trying to get the original Japanese DVD (whenever that gets released :> )

Dammit! ;3;

I live in Australia and we hardly ever get any of that kind of stuff ;^;

That must've been pretty cool though! :D

LOL~ Same here! I used to love it a lot when I was a kid and being a teenager now...I actually only just got back into it again after watching LK's abridged version XD

I was also really looking forward to seeing it too since it's a nice tie-in for all the YGO protagonists <3 But I never really expected a screening in cinemas for it here in Australia so I was anxiously waiting for the DVD :too_sad:

So was I! D: But I also want a hardcopy version too --- I think I might have to settle for trying to get the original Japanese DVD (whenever that gets released :> )

True, I could see that. Then again I guess its reasons like this I'm glad I have a DVD burner with a lot of DVDS ^_^. BTW would the original Japanese DVD even have a sub option on it?

Speaking LK I'm probably way behind on YGO Abridged, should go watch it again.