IPB or vB

Koby

Invision Power Board or V Bulletin?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Invision Power Board or V Bulletin?

Hello I am highly considering, errr well more like decided to get a paid forum software. You all know we were using IPBv1.3 which was free but way outdated and because of it, in-secure. Then we switched to this more secure SMF, but to face it I think SMF is rather lame.. and I hate the skinning.

Anyhow IPBv2 is alot newer then IPBv1.3 and alot more secure. However vB is even more secure, although IPBv2 is more user friendly and as far as I can tell alot more people prefer it.

I've never used vB, though I've tried trials of IPBv2. I know alot about IPBv2 and could probably be able to do w/e with it. However I always wanted to own a vB and to try it out.

So my question is.. if I were to buy one, which would you prefer?

vB with more security

or

IPBv2 with better user-friendliness?

Your opinion really matters to me!

Yeah i think that a vBulletin would be good for the forums. If you say it's more safer then a IPB then i say get it! That means less hackers ruining the fun for us. Plus there are good mods out there too for the vB (like rpg mods). Hmm... but of course this is all an opinion from a local forumer. :)

Seems most people (2 out of.. errrmm.. 2) think we should get vB. So we will be getting vB.. however I could use some help coming up with $160.. so if anyone can help out such as donating or w/e then please do, every bit counts. I need to go update the site listings on text-link-ads and hopefully get someone to by a link from us. That would help some too. I plan on having enough money to buy vB in 2 months or less.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Faith

IPB, haha. It is secure enough if you take the time to make it that way. Aaaand vB can easly have a crapload of bots, just as easily~~ So uh yeah. I like IPB more. It looks better, and such. I disagree though, vB is NOT faster.

Faith, I know I really like IPB, it looks good runs good etc.. But no matter what you do IPB is very insecure and immature beginner crackers can crack an IPB board.

Everybody I know who has IPB pretty much has been cracked into at least once. We aren't talking about bots we are talking about people who only want to mess up a board. I've never seen a vB that has had problems like that.

If you are a nice coder take a look into IPB source files, there is errors everywhere because the IPB Coding Team is too lazy to code right to start with and wait till people report exploits before fixing it.

On the other hand vB tries their best to code as much of perfection as possible, and they constantly review their files and fix exploits instead of waiting on users to report them.

So while I really like IPB.. I've decided vB is far better.

IPBv2 is ALOT more user friendly, and better features. lets face it, IPB is dominating the forum software business, its just more professional. although I do have to agree vB is more secure, i can guarantee its not by much at all. Hacking happens, who knows, maybe if FM gets a vB it might get hacked, same with an IPB. shit happens.

Koby, you should demo each board to see what YOU like.

hahaha, have you seen phpbb3? Looks like crap :-P.

lol.. yeah PHPBB3 looks almost like and seems pretty much the same as PHPBB2. O.o

But how is IPB more professional when they care more about getting paid rather then providing a decent coded software? It's pretty much known that IPB staff team is lazy and only really fix bugs reported rather then searching themselves for bugs to fix before releasing it.

• 2 months later...