(completed)Virus/Network Issues

ballard

I'm working on a computer for a friend and to be honest I need help. I got rid of the viruses without any problems, but vundo disabled all network devices and I cannot re-enable them XD. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've read online, but to no avail. Please help me >.<... if you have any questions that might help you think of a solution feel free to ask me anything.

Personally if it was my computer I'd just reinstall windows, but unfortunately it's not.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's windows vista.

From what I have read about this virus it is pretty nasty and extremely hard to get rid of. The last two symptoms listed on wikipedia says it can corrupt network drivers and delete network connections. It also seems that a simple reinstall of the drivers doesn't fix this. Are you sure it is completely removed?

I'm not sure I'll really be much help for this one but I'm willing to try if you want me to. Could you maybe post the method you used to remove it and if you were in safe mode or not. Do you have a copy of the network driver and maybe a registry cleaner like ccleaner installed. I was thinking, if you haven't tried it already, that you could uninstall the network drivers then run ccleaner in safe mode to clean out any remaining registry errors and then reinstall the network drivers.

You could also skip all this and go straight to a help forum like techguy.org. I'm not a member there myself but I have used some of the threads there for advice, and I have seen it mentioned in PC Magazine. They will most likely ask you to post logs to the thread from programs like Hijack This to help see what is going on with your system.

Tech Support Guy

This is a couple threads I found on the site about Vundo to give you an idea of what they ask.

Vundo

Vundo Virus & Ultra Defragger malware

Hope some of this can be helpful.

I was in safe mode while I ran malwarebytes and superantispyware. I ran ccleaner several times after they finished scanning. Any other scanners I used after this have found nothing, so I'm pretty sure the virus is gone. Unfortunately it did a lot of damage to this install of windows which I managed to fix besides the network issues. It wont let me install drivers for a wireless adapter that I have. I tired reinstalling all the network drivers, but that didn't fix it :\...

I feel that it would just be easiest to reinstall windows, but my friend is paying me to fix it and to keep the current install of windows intact... it's proving to be extremely difficult.

Any suggestions you have would be highly appreciated.

I took a look at the threads you provided and I'm currently giving these methods a try. I'll post the results once I'm finished.

I uninstalled all the drivers and ran ccleaner in safe mode like you said. I reinstalled all the drivers... it got the wireless card working!!!!!!!!!... now to figure out how to get the ethernet port to work.

Edit: After a lot more effort I got the ethernet port to work. L4ugh... I owe you big time!!! You saved me hours of work.