E-thugs

DEATHxxx50bmg

• 3 weeks later...

This is the biggest problem with the death of arcade gaming and networked console gaming, it's successor. With anonymity and such a huge scale of unfamiliar people, it really hampers the camaraderie of playing with people face-to-face.

10 years ago, if someone played Street Fighter with you and called you a #!$ !%!#@!, you'd be sure, that you (or your friend) would probably smack the shit out of them right there. With no threat of recompense, there is nothing stopping people from being d-bags.

It’s just as thejinxed stated you’re not face to face. My friend is huge into talking crap online but I think just about anyone could physically beat him up, though that is why he probably talks tough in games and not in public.

Though I am sure that some people do like the rivalry that it creates as smurai_lord mentioned but I am no one of them when it comes to games.

I typically end up muting people like that including my friend, unless I find them funny like when they keep getting there butt kicked and have a million and one excuses.

I have been gaming since I was 3, I'm 22 now... I play alot of competitive matches of various games and I dont think I have every acted like an "e-thug".

Different players play at different levels based on experience and skill, what is there to be mad about?

Would you be mad at someone with little scientific knowledge could cure cancer for you?

Just let them talk all they want, the report options in games these days are getting better and better.

Some of the best examples can be found in games with forums though. One I play has had a couple of idiots doing everything possible to beat me so they could try to be smug, including spending large amounts of money on the game. Then I beat them and they say the whole "Who cares, its just a game". Being able to say "Yeah, but im playing for free and you just suck" makes it all worthwhile.

This is the biggest problem with the death of arcade gaming and networked console gaming, it's successor. With anonymity and such a huge scale of unfamiliar people, it really hampers the camaraderie of playing with people face-to-face.

10 years ago, if someone played Street Fighter with you and called you a #!$ !%!#@!, you'd be sure, that you (or your friend) would probably smack the shit out of them right there. With no threat of recompense, there is nothing stopping people from being d-bags.

Quoted for Truth.

Then again, a decade ago - we didn't have all these games that could possibly generate so much hate. I personally liked it when players challenged each other for top scores taking turns at it; not arguing with everyone about how big their package is or how they did your mom. Seriously, this crap gets old and as many times as I mute and report people, I always find some other random straggler.

Hell, there are some kids that my friends are friends with - and they have no morals whatsoever. Who the !@#$ burp's into their microphone every thirty seconds? Afaik Burps =/= Hiccups, and Common Courtesy is most likely dead, as well as Chivalry.

and this is the reason why I do not bother playing online much at all...

With a few exceptions (Maybe all of two PS3 games), I just play single player since I don't have to put up with the immaturity of some players (Althrough when I have played online, I have thankfully been lucky). Seriously, speak with your skill not with your mouth eh... so you don't have to use words to make up for a lack of skill ^_^

I don't think that the immaturity or trash talking should discourage you from playing online, it's just there needs to be a set of guidelines for players to follow... even though it'll never be enforced. Like, the "Man Code" or "Women's Secret Rules" for example.

I mean come on now, Common Courtesy, That is General Logic. If someone's having a bad day; there's no need to make everyone else's day just as bad.

I probably have a mouth rivaling that of a pirate, but at least I have enough common courtesy in me to turn off my microphone and close my bedroom door. I wouldn't like to hear someone drop the f-bomb every five seconds, I don't see why anyone else would.