On Live

XOokamixHowlinX

hey guys well i randomly was on yahoo today and something caught me eye =) there's this new gaming system that let you play video game's all under one roof pc's,ps3,xbox, all in one gaming system it's called On Live

question is would you buy it??

more info here

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/192-onlive-99-game-system-the-future-of-console-gaming

OMFG!!!

Is this true? cuz if it is, there goes all the 360's and PS3's out the window.

it makes me feel almost glad i haven't bought a PS3 yet.

though the cons sound pretty bad. it says that you have to pay upto 50 bucks for a game to get access to it. this might be a problem when the PS3 gets cracked (IT WILL GET CRACKED! GIVE ME ENOUGH TIME! ;D)

also, it seems it'll only be streaming videos and i doubt that'll run as smoothly as it does on a real console.

so, while i was initially excited, after learning of its cons, i'd rather buy a PS3.

Pros are: Don't need to update PC to play games.

Game's aren't as expensive as console/PC games

Has 3day/5day play periods for short games you can beat quickly

Membership is Free(not sure how long that will last though, as I can't see game purchases migrating upgrade costs.)

Cons are: Streaming of games only to play it, so it requires a fully stable network connection.

Only available in US right now

Don't physically or even digitally own any of the games, if they take the game down it's gone for good. If they have a disruption of service or maintenance for any reason, can't play the game's you pay for.

Latency for this is usually between 150ms-210ms

Video Quality is variable because of video compression

I would rather not get this. I found out about it at the beginning of the year, when I saw a poll about the Playstation Move, Project Natal, and On Live at GameFAQs. The poll was about which one you were anticipating most. I did a search for On Live and I didn't like it then. I found what krogothwolf said, also (about the pros and cons). I also don't like the fact that you want have a copy of the game yourself, digitally or physically. There would be no way they can have all games ever made for the PC or a console, which is what they were planning back then. It would take too much space and with everyone using it, you would be lucky to get a framerate of about 10-20FPS, no matter how good the servers are. Also, the membership is supposed to be free until about 6 months after the system lauches, I heard. Then, everyone will have to pay a fee of $15-30 USD, I believe it was, for every month. Also, if at anytime you didn't pay and you didn't pay again within 3-6 months, all the data you had on the games would be gone, including even having purchased the right to play them, unless they changed that. Also, it would be better to have the save files in your home, rather than stored on the server, which is where they are stored, since that is where the game is. If the server ever went down, you would lose all your data. Many people like to keep a backup of their saves, whenever they can. Most next-gen console games can have the save data backed up onto an External hard drive or an SD Card. You wouldn't be able to do that with On Live. I would rather the console itself with a physical copy of the game whenever possible, otherwise I will take the digital copy. I would rather not use On Live, at all.

it wont work for long...

do you know the amount of compatibilty problems there will be, and probably already are? its ridiculous the amount of time put into keep older systems updated, plus the problem with liecenses is a headache. Also stuff like this is what will eventually kill the gaming industry (i know that soounds tacky but it is true) as console platforms are the main source of resources for almost every game developer save a few lucky buggers (im looking at you blizzard) that have almost exclusive pc gaming development.

It's not really a replacement for the PS3 or 360, since you only get PC games on it.

...And need a stable connection. That's the deal breaker for me.

On-Live offers PC, PS3, X360, and other consoles games from the past, or at least, that is what the owners said when they announced it. It is more than just PC games.