Great Books Made Into Bad Movies

Wake

Anyone know of any really good books that they liked that got turned into a movie that was horrible? Just curious to know how much this actually happens now a days. And it just got me thinking that it should be a requirement for the director to actually read the book and talk to the author before they can make the movie. I would think that would just be an obvious thing to do wouldn't it?

To start off the list... One of the best written series I've ever read was the His Dark Dark Materials series and the first book The Golden Compass got turned into a kids adventure movie (the book really isn't for young kids and there are a lot of serious topics addressed in the book that they don't even hint at in the movie let alone the ending to the book was cut off in the movie) and to top it off it was made poorly into what they made it into.

Another series I know I might get a lot of people telling me I'm wrong (maybe?) it the Twilight series. I thought the books were good yet the movies just look cheesy to me.

And the only other series that I can thing of at the moment that I've read and watched the movie for is Eragon. All I have to say is, "Was the director high or something?" The movie=horrible; follow the book=hell no.

how about the Harry Potter series?

they suck big time!!! they've left out MAJOR portions of the book. i have no idea how the hell they are gonna be able to end it properly after cutting off so much.

Totally forgot about that series for some reason, the first two movies actually follow the books really well I think, but starting at the third movie lots of things got cut out that made the book the book. But with two parts to the 7th movie they have a chance at least to address some of whats been left out in the last couple of books (here's to hoping anyway); but would it have killed them to make the last few movies 3 to 4 hours long so they could follow the book? NO. It's not like they didn't have the money to make the movies that long and its not like the fans would have been mad the movies were that long either. So I totally agree with you.

never mind harry potter and the twilight series, which in my opinion a waste of paper and film, what about the Inheritance Cycle's movie, Eragon. When that came out i almost cried with excitement (mabye an over exageration) but when i watched it i almost died (not an exageration). that was one of the worst films in history. in the books it is all epic and actually quite dramatic with lots of references to the terrible effects of genocide, whereas the film not only got the main character wrong (for one thing he has brown hair and eyes) and made the main enemy seem like a mix between the grinch and a deer (the urgals)

your completely right there anras the book was epic, and my hopes for that movie was sky high until I saw it, then my hopes came crashing to the ground as soon as I saw eragon, then it all wen't downhill from there, kinda like when I watched the last air bender recently (man that was a sucky film).

Eragon... the book is one of the best memories I have of good literature and the movie just fucking sucked(language was necessary) hell I'm glad they just settled for a craptastic interpretation of the first book and left the rest of the series alone and everyone knows the situation with Harry Potter, hell the only case where the books were captured almost perfectly in a movie adaptation in my opinion was the Lord of The Rings series, by far one of my favorites.

PERCY JACKSON AND THE LIGHTNING THIEF!!!!

in my opinion, they literally RAPED the book, destroyed everything that made it fun and in its place, put in a typical action/adventure "young boy saves the world" story.

ntm the fact that they left out AND changed several important things.

I'm kind of glad that they changed the ending to finish the story then and there otherwise they would have ruined the whole series!!!

Harry Potter 1 and 2 were decent.. but with the new director in the third, they really started screwing things up.

As for Twilight, they should have kept with the single viewpoint character like in the books. As in, if Bella isn't there, you don't see it. That's my only major complaint about the movies. That and changing directors every time is going to confuse things a lot.

Harry Potter 1 and 2 were decent.. but with the new director in the third, they really started screwing things up.

I agree with you on the point about harry Potter.

When I first watched Hp in theaters with family, I had no background in hp whatsoever. Like any kid, I was amazed with all of the magic stuff. As the next films were made, they focused less and less on the aspect on magic and more on the main plot.

At times when I was watching the movie, I forget that I am watching a fantasy genre film because sometimes that don't implement magic all at much, well that is just my opinion. I am glad that they have split the last book into parts allowing the film to cover more parts in the book.