Windows Problems

Nero D. Ace

Normally, i use Linux to do all my work and personally hate Windows for it's ridiculously retarded slow speed, but sometimes it becomes necessary to use that garbage of an OS to run EXE files.

Most online games can only be started via EXE files and since linux can't execute them, i have to use windows.

However, even in this case, windows has shown it's craptastic side.

10-20 minutes into ANY online game, the CPU just turns off, automatically. I have no problem surfing the net or anything, but as soon as i start an online game, 20 minutes later, BAM, it switches off.

Then, when i re-start it, it gets to the Welcome screen, then switches off again. After about 6 hours, when i turn it on, it gets past the welcome screen and stays on however long i like, then as soon as i start an online game, it shuts off again.

Could someone please tell me what's wrong with windows THIS time?

Okay we need a bit more information.

1) Is your Windows OS on a seperate system or are you dual-booting Windows/Linux.

2) Which Windows are you using?

3) What games specifically?

4) What are your specs?

5) Do you have anti-virus software of any kind (I suspect a virus).

One possibility I can think of off the top of my head is that when you play your online game, you enabled an exception for it through your firewall. That leaves a nasty vulnerability for a virus or trojan to slip through. However, until you tell us more, its just a theory.

@rikou

1) yea, im dual booting linux and windows, but the problem only started recently. there were times when i could play PSO for 3 hours straight easily.

2) Windows XP

3) the game is Zone4 from OGWorld

4) 4GB of RAM, 128MB graphic card

5) yea, avast anti-virus. i scanned and there's no virus.

@ren - cant be over heating man. it's overheated once before, and when it does, it makes a really loud noise, this time it just shuts off silently. plus, i start linux on afterwards immediately and it runs without a hitch

@rikou

1) yea, im dual booting linux and windows, but the problem only started recently. there were times when i could play PSO for 3 hours straight easily.

2) Windows XP

3) the game is Zone4 from OGWorld

4) 4GB of RAM, 128MB graphic card

5) yea, avast anti-virus. i scanned and there's no virus.

@ren - cant be over heating man. it's overheated once before, and when it does, it makes a really loud noise, this time it just shuts off silently. plus, i start linux on afterwards immediately and it runs without a hitch

I'm willing to bet you do have a virus. Avast is a great program, I use it myself, but it doesn't have 100% detection rate. Try installing Threatfire (a rootkit scanner), and see what that comes up with. If that doesn't work, then reinstall windows. It's all I can suggest.

I've actually had this problem on one of my more recent gaming rigs... It turned out to be my northbridge overheating. As soon as I put a fan on it the problem was solved.

What you could test out... if you have a smaller box fan

like one of these

http://www.google.com/images?q=box+fan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1098&bih=574

... take off your computers side panel and put the fan blowing directly on it then play the game again and see if the problem continues. Because this honestly sounds like a heat issue to me.

It is most likely overheating. I recently went through this problem, as soon as I put my CPU into high-processing stuff (like gaming, web isn't bad and neither is Linux). Most CPUs have an auto-turn off function to prevent melting of solder and other things.. I recommend either getting a fan, like Ballard suggested, or something much faster and cheaper, blowing the dust out of your system.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if you are still working on this, but I have a very similar machine in my closet. If the loud sound it made before it overheated, the first time, was like a grinding hum, then it could be the fan itself. If your northbridge has a fan on it already, then the ball bearings could be going out. If that is the case then it will overheat when it's under a heavy load, because the failing fan can't keep the northbridge cool. A new fan for the northbridge could solve this problem, if you can find one that is compatible. Unfortunately mine was a lost cause, so rest in peace little soyo, rest in peace.:too_sad:

Hope this can help, any questions just ask.

L4ugh