What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

For me I started when I was like 4 years old, watching DBZ with my big brother. Then when he left for school I would watch Sailor Moon. I didnt know that they were anime till much later. When new things came out, i.e. Cardcaptors, pokemon, digimon, etc... My friends and I watched them and became hooked. We started noticing there were other shows that looked like the ones we liked and just continued to follow them. Then we stumbled upon adult swin and toonami. haha good times, the original airings of Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin. I guess it helped one of our friends was asian too so her mom would point things out too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well for me it was (like many) DBZ, to me the fights were amazing as compared to other cartoons.

It was Shaman King on Jetix, the first anime I completely watched, and (unlike many) Beyblade that really got me hooked on anime.

But it was Bleach that really made me delve into the anime world and increased my interest in watching different types of anime.

I saw a Tenchi Muyo DVD on the shelf, thought it looked fun, bought it, fell in love with it, then bought everything related to the series! After that I bought all three seasons of Slayers and everything Fushigi Yuugi except the 3rd OVA which wasn't out yet.

I eventually bought an awful lot of anime on DVD. (This was long before blu-ray was available.) Good thing I made lots of money at the time, because back then it cost $30-50 per disk! An entire series was damned expensive lol.

What sucked me into Anime was the more serious themed shows and movies. I have been watching anime my whole life but like most people, didn't realize it. A lot of the shows that I watch Speed Racer, Silver Hawks, and a few others, were anime. Later, I got into Ronin Warriors, and Dragon Ball. I later watched Ranma 1/2. I was watching DBZ when I was like 13-14 maybe. I quit watching DBZ because of the long drawn out fight scenes. That was damn near 20 years ago when I stopped. My kids now are watching DBZ and are shocked when I tell them that this show is not new at all and most of these episodes I saw 15+ years ago.

Well my friend showed me naruto and i watched it. But i didn't go around watching other animes, i just watched mainstreams like naruto and bleach. It wasn't until i was reading bleach manga, then i felt curious and checked out chobits. Till then i keep watching new series of animes and got into anime

What drew me in to anime was, well as most american kids watching Toonami, seeing Dragon ball Z for the first time made me interested on the style of art used for show, as well Sailor Moon and the two anime that really sucked me, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo.

As for manga, it was by chance that my cousin bought me a pokemon manga for my birthday. The Manga was called "Pokemon: The Electric tale of Pikachu" which initially drew me into the world of manga.