Horror Anime recomendations

victor766

I am not sure what type of horror you are looking for, but here're some that I like:

• Higurashi Series (Psychological horror) (can also try Umineko after that)
  • Another
  • Shiki
  • Electromagnetic Girlfriend (don't remember what it was, but probably a horror)
  • Corpse Party (Gore)
  • Ghost Hunt
  • Not-horror-te-horror: Hellsing, Future Diary, Hell Girl, Parasyte -the maxim-, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, 
  • More action~y then horror: Blood+ (vampires), Elfen Lied, Tokyo Ghoul, HSotD, Tsukihime - Lunar Legend

And yes, I believe this is the incorrect forum. There is a separate forum called "Recommendations & Reviews". Please use that.

I'll ask someone to move it.

@Koby @NeutralHatred I believe this needs to be moved to "Recommendations & Reviews" section

9 hours ago, ani-me said:

I am not sure what type of horror you are looking for, but here're some that I like:

• Higurashi Series (Psychological horror) (can also try Umineko after that)
  • Another
  • Shiki
  • Electromagnetic Girlfriend (don't remember what it was, but probably a horror)
  • Corpse Party (Gore)
  • Ghost Hunt
  • Not-horror-te-horror: Hellsing, Future Diary, Hell Girl, Parasyte -the maxim-, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, 
  • More action~y then horror: Blood+ (vampires), Elfen Lied, Tokyo Ghoul, HSotD, Tsukihime - Lunar Legend

Anything excessively violet and gory is considered horror under the anime banner. Anime does not try to scare people like a typical horror movie would. You feel more uncomfortable or uneasy when watching it. Madoka Magica was a sense of dread, Hell Girl was a little girl dragging you to hell. Jump scares aren't a thing in anime. Highschool of the Dead was also a horror, despite the glaring ecchi.

14 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

Anything excessively violet and gory is considered horror under the anime banner. Anime does not try to scare people like a typical horror movie would. You feel more uncomfortable or uneasy when watching it. Madoka Magica was a sense of dread, Hell Girl was a little girl dragging you to hell. Jump scares aren't a thing in anime. Highschool of the Dead was also a horror, despite the glaring ecchi.

Thanks....I thought so....Some site to list them as horror...

Just felt should still point them out in case the OP is expecting only ghost/vampire/hack-n-slash type horror :D 

And I see....there was my keyboard acting up again....

23 hours ago, ani-me said:

Not-horror-te-horror

=Not-horror-type-horror, iirc

(need to really get my keyboard fixed....)

14 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

Jump scares aren't a thing in anime.

This is one of the best thing about anime horror (or, probably, Japanese horror)... I don't feel that jump scares are really elements of horror....more of just startling elements..

17 hours ago, Solaufein said:

I second Higurashi. If you're only going to watch one, make it that. Shiki is also really good. I thought Another and Electromagnetic Girlfriend were just so-so.

I too feel that Higurashi is the best among them... though...

Spoiler

though.... later on in the series it starts feeling more like a mystery than a horror(though horror is always present as well), and I believe that is what makes it even better... it's more like a horror on fate level...not just limited to ghosts/people/place...but rather bound to people's fate it self....I can go on discussing this show...but I'll stop....

And yeah, I kinda agree... I don;t even remember much about "Electromagnetic Girlfriend", so it was forgettable, and that proves it's worth (for me) among the others..

BTW, 

Another recommendation: Deadman Wonderland

It's among my first shows... I don;t remember the story well, but I was hooked...

Warning: it feel very very incomplete, the only thing I hate about it..

21 hours ago, gskumar said:

I can't seem to find this. mal link pls. And can you give a small review on this.

Oh. Here you go:

MAL | AniDB (my pref)

Honestly speaking I don't remember it that well, probably because it is so short (45min x 2 Eps) and that I watched it a quite some time back..

I'll tell what I can remember without trying to spoil, still using a spoiler, read at your own risk

Spoiler

It is surround around a couple (pseudo-couple?), the guys is a normal while the girl had some supernatural powers (what were they, don't remember). They both worked together resolving issues... I believe there were serial murders or something.

Overall, it was more of a mystery than a horror. The girl was weird~ish/psycho.... and... I don't remember more

Well, when all is said and done, I'd recommend only if you have already covered all the other major players in the genre....this is more of a minor entry...for those who have finished all the better stuff.... that's my opinion on it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ani-me said:

Well, when all is said and done, I'd recommend only if you have already covered all the other major players in the genre....this is more of a minor entry...for those who have finished all the better stuff.... that's my opinion on it

I almost watched Major players (you can see my mal link), right now scouting the rare gems or the ones which I haven't heard and recommend by someone (this is how I am going by lately). Thanks for the info. Only 2 ep it will completed in no time.

21 hours ago, gskumar said:

I almost watched Major players (you can see my mal link), right now scouting the rare gems or the ones which I haven't heard and recommend by someone (this is how I am going by lately). Thanks for the info. Only 2 ep it will completed in no time.

In that case you can give it a shot..!!