'Lilo & Stitch' Live-Action Remake in the Works at Disney

Koby

8N027xR.jpgLilo & Stitch, the 2002 animated movie from Walt Disney Feature Animation, is getting the live-action treatment.

The studio has hired up-and-comer Mike Van Waes to pen the script for the remake that will be produced by Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback, formerly known as Lin Pictures. The two are already known in the Disney halls as they working on the high-profile live-action remake of Aladdin. Stitch was written and directed by Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders, who later found acclaim with How to Train Your Dragon.

The Hawaii-centric story told of the bond formed between a lonely human girl named Lilo and a dog-like alien named Stitch, who is engineered to be a force of destruction. Pursuing aliens, social workers, and the idea of the bond of family figure into the proceedings.

While not a massive success by modern box office standards, the well-regarded movie was a bright spot in a down period of Disney’s animation history and launched several direct-to-video sequels as well as several television series. It is unclear whether the feature project, which is intended to be a live-action/CG hybrid, is intended for theatrical release or for Disney's streaming service that launches in 2019. Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is co-producing.

The feature project is the latest in Disney’s successful strategy of mining their past animated classics and re-purposing them as live-action tentpoles events. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Pete’s Dragon are some of the recent releases with Dumbo, The Lion King and Aladdin among those heading moviegoers’ way in the future.

Van Waes is better known in Hollywood circles as a writer of horror fare. He wrote The Crooked Man, based on a character from New Line’s The Conjuring 2 and that is being developed as a Conjuring Universe spinoff. He also wrote Not in Kansas, a Wizard of Oz-themed horror project also set up at New Line. He is repped by CAA and Grandview.

Lin’s Aladdin is due in theaters May 24, 2019. Guy Ritchie directed the movie, which stars Will Smith as Genie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite Disney movie of all time. I can only hope that they do a good job. I wonder where they're filming it at. I'd like to plan my next visit back home so I can go check out the sets, and you never know, maybe they'll need some extras ;) (assuming they will film any of it in Hawaii)

Edited by stitch626

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tele11 said:

I wonder why disney keeps making live action versions of their movies

It's cause it's easy and it sells. Why draft up a new thing/hope your new things does well when you have a popular (but dormant) property to use?

Not looking forward to Stitch in semi-realistic 3D. That'll be... as bad as the Pokemon thing lol.