question about an INTEL NUC offer. worth it?

sfaxt

well i found this for 270 eur as a weekly offer. its roughly 20% off.

its hard to draw parallels, but lets say with sales tax, imports etc, that price roughly equals $270. 

im mildly interested in buying a small factor pc

you think its worthwhile? is this cpu potent? 4k hevc w hdr possible on that machine?

INTEL NUC MINI PC J3455 128GB SSD 4GB RAM WINDOWS 10

Specifications

• Processor: Intel Celeron Processor J3455 at 1.5GHz and burst frequency at 2.3 GHz with 2 MB Cache.
  • Memory: Pre-installed 1 x 4GB DDR3L SO-DIMM at 1.35V, 1600 MHz, expandable to 8GB through its second slot.
  • Graphics card: Built-in Intel HD Graphics graphics card.
  • Audio: Up to 7.1 digital. L + R + mic (F), L + R + TOSLINK (R).
  • Disk slot: Preinstalled 1 x 128GB SATA SSD and internal support for M.2 card slot with PCIe x1 (22x30).
  • Memory card slot: SDXC with UHS-I support.
  • Peripherals: 2x USB 3.0 front, 2x USB 3.0 back, 2 x USB 2.0 internal, 1x VGA (HDB15), 1x HDMI 2.0, TOSLINK.
  • Networking: Intel 10/100/1000 Mbps, Intel Wireless-AC 3168 + BT 4.2, Bluetooth 4.0.
  • Power supply: 12-19 VDC.
  • Dimensions: 115 x111 x 51mm
  • Warranty: 1 year.

meh looks like hdmi is 1.4 on this one. someone reccomended to wait for Gemini Lake nuc for 4K

Edited by sfaxt

1 hour ago, sfaxt said:

you think its worthwhile? is this cpu potent? 4k hevc w hdr possible on that machine?

4K HEVC - yes. GPU is listed to have hardware decoder, so any mainstream HEVC contend should be OK

HDR - no. GPU does not seem to support it (based on this and linked information https://communities.intel.com/thread/118311)

AVC Hi10P - no. Might work OK-ish with 720p, but 1080p will likely have issues in scenes containing heavy action or grain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeutralHatred said:

I'm no expert on SFF machines but, I can't imagine a Celeron is good for anything. Unless you're 70 and just want to skype with your grandkids. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

celeron is just umbrella term, doesn't really say much these days 

it might very well be equal to a 2-3 yr i3 or even i5. (not that i know specific specs not into small factor stuff either:P )

42 minutes ago, Hark0n said:

4K HEVC - yes. GPU is listed to have hardware decoder, so any mainstream HEVC contend should be OK

HDR - no. GPU does not seem to support it (based on this and linked information https://communities.intel.com/thread/118311)

AVC Hi10P - no. Might work OK-ish with 720p, but 1080p will likely have issues in scenes containing heavy action or grain

Edited by sfaxt

27 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

celeron is just umbrella term, doesn't really say much these days 

it might very well be equal to a 2-3 yr i3 or even i5. (not that i know specific specs not into small factor stuff either:P )

I repair PC/Macs for a living but, I still have issues with what's good and what's not when it comes to hardware. Intel doesn't make learning their shit easy, either.

• Like 1

yeah me too i dont bother. i never follow market tbh unless i want to buy a new system.

im a hardware enthusiast only when it's around the time to buy :P

15 minutes ago, NeutralHatred said:

I repair PC/Macs for a living but, I still have issues with what's good and what's not when it comes to hardware. Intel doesn't make learning their shit easy, either.

Edited by sfaxt

So, thanks to you, I went out and bought a NUC. Popped in 8GBs of DDR4-2400 (2133 clocked down) RAM, 32GB Intel Optane (mainly to try it out), and a 1TB HGST 7,200 RPM HDD.

I haven't really got into it just try; got it setup and everything but, I need to get a new keyboard/mouse for it. The cheap one I bought with it was exactly that: cheap.

Once I exchange it, I'll start using it for my media needs.

The dual-core CPU does show it's subpar speeds when you start putting load on it. The Optane does help with the standard HDD inside so, it does run pretty well, I must admit. For a dual-core with a mechanical drive.

Granted, I don't usually watch HEVC but, I may watch my Flip Flappers release I did in 1080p a bit to see how well it plays.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

So, thanks to you, I went out and bought a NUC. Popped in 8GBs of DDR4-2400 (2133 clocked down) RAM, 32GB Intel Optane (mainly to try it out), and a 1TB HGST 7,200 RPM HDD.

I haven't really got into it just try; got it setup and everything but, I need to get a new keyboard/mouse for it. The cheap one I bought with it was exactly that: cheap.

Once I exchange it, I'll start using it for my media needs.

The dual-core CPU does show it's subpar speeds when you start putting load on it. The Optane does help with the standard HDD inside so, it does run pretty well, I must admit. For a dual-core with a mechanical drive.

Granted, I don't usually watch HEVC but, I may watch my Flip Flappers release I did in 1080p a bit to see how well it plays.

nice xD im sure its gonna work great as htpc and other stuff.

asked a person with the i3 variant. specifically linked a sample from catar's kimi no na wa. has hdmi 2 and hdr and plays it back just fine.

https://imgur.com/a/PW22v

-----------------------------------------------

as i said in the op not buying that machine because  hdmi is 1.4 after all. and no hdr.

however even celeron J3455, is quite potent from what people say. eg

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314553&pid=2587899#pid2587899

As a reference the J3455, can full decode 1080p H264/H265 10bit movies in CPU only (no iGPU acceleration) @40% CPU usage

Edited by sfaxt