Inuyashiki: Last Hero

Koby

Inuyashiki: Last Hero

9jghoQ4.jpg

MAL

Synopsis: Inuyashiki Ichirou is down on his luck. While only 58 years old, his geriatric looks often have him written off as a pathetic old man by the world around him and he's constantly ignored and disrespected by his family despite all that he's done to support them. On top of everything else, his doctor has revealed that he has cancer and it appears that he has little time left in this world. But just when it seems things couldn't get any worse, a blinding light in the night sky strikes the earth where Ichirou stands. He later wakes up to find himself unscathed, but he soon starts to notice that there's something... different about himself. However, it turns out that these strange, new changes are just what Ichirou needs to take a new lease on life and now it seems like there's nothing to stop him from being a hero worthy of the respect that he never had before... unless, that is, there was someone else out there with these same changes...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jtacdf said:

One just want to watch the world burn for fun. The other needs to stop him. It's like Batman vs Joker.

I don't believe Hiro is killing just for the "fun" of it. He has discovered he has uncanny abilities that allow him to kill with near impunity. Now he's experimenting to see if killing random strangers can evoke some sort of emotional response in him, like he can get by reading manga. However the fact that he is a sociopath, and thus cannot empathize with strangers, means his experiments will always fail. You see that after he had killed the family, he said "I'm alive". Seems to me it's just a means to the end rather than what he is actually wanting. But I do get the reference. :P

We finally saw a different side to Hiro in the latest episode (05). However the most interesting scene to me was when we got a peek into Hiro’s dreams. He gets a tiny papercut, which at first confused me. But the joy on his face, his voice, his jumping with joy. We were shown clearly that Hiro doesn’t enjoy what he is. That he longs to become human again or at least have normal human emotions. This and seeing him cry over his mother were unexpected yet welcome. They don’t excuse his actions, but they do explain them a bit.

On the other end of the spectrum we have Inuyashiki. Everyone’s favorite old man spent his time this week split between helping people and preparing for war. Up until now he has focused purely on helping people. We see in dialogue that even with the Yakuza he was not conscious of what he did to them. Yet in this episode, during his conversation with Ando, he proclaims that to stop Hiro he might have to kill him. Inuyashiki is embracing this new body more and more, loving his ability to heal people and preparing to use it to become a “Hero”.

The contrast to Hiro, the comparison between the two, is my favorite part of Inuyashiki and it only gets better when the lines between them begin to blur.

Edited by Hayato
  • Like 1

The story seems headed down the predictable path of setting up Inuyashiki to take down Hiro. We all pretty much knew from episode 2 that this would be the inevitable fate of the story and I'm fine with it. Though it's always possible some twist will come out of it and perhaps Hiro will redeem himself in someway and make amends for the shit he has done while Inuyashiki ends up down a dark path along the way to become strong enough to take on Hiro and ultimately end up needing to be stopped for the greater good. It's highly unlikely to happen, but with Gantz creator at the helm, it's always a possibility that some major unexpected curve ball will come flying at us.

Andou has kind of been set up in the same predicament that we as the viewer have been. He's powerless to do anything, but is rooting for Inuyashiki to be the hero he thinks he can be and to put Hiro down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting last few episodes. The bit with the plane (episode 10) felt a bit over-the-top though...

I do wonder how they're gonna adapt 28 (out of 85) chapters with only two episodes left. I'm guessing it'll be an original anime ending.

Edit:

welp, I guessed wrong. Ended just like the manga. Felt a tiny bit rushed, but at the same time I don't think 12 episodes would have worked for this anime. At that point it'd probably become a stretch.

Overall, I liked it a lot. The fight between Inuyashiki and Hiro was great although the CGI looked quite awful at times. That goes for the entire anime actually. Hoping the BD release will look better.

Last few minutes were very emotional, especially with the ED playing at the end. Also nice throwback to the first episode when Inuyashiki sacrifices himself.

''Would they cry for me?''

Yes, Inuyashiki, they would. :(

Ep02 is probably one of my favorites. That murder scene inside the house is incredible. No music, just pure chills.

At the same time... the way those mass-murder scenes were pulled off was quite bad. Felt very ''edgy'' and unrealistic. Especially ep10 with all the planes crashing (not to mention the music during that scene; completely ruined the mood).

Edited by Scyrous