I have a few questions about uploading anime releases

bluegrapes

(Sorry if this is the wrong board!)

I have a small question about anime releases. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to upload my very first release of an anime. Even though it's technically a remux because I didn't encode the video or create the subtitles, I resynced the subtitles to the blu ray release and added translations to every OP/ED. There was originally no OP/ED subtitles in the TV airing release. Is this enough extra work I did where it would be considered "okay" to add my name next to the sub group?

Another question, is this a good naming convention? For labeling everything else, I'm considering following CTR's release standard's guide

AnimeName.S01E01.1080p.BDrip.FLAC.2.0.x264[username]

Last question, should I make sure to add chapters to every episode? Not sure how necessary that is. 

Spoiler

Sorry for the dumb questions! :$

42 minutes ago, bluegrapes said:

(Sorry if this is the wrong board!)

I have a small question about anime releases. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to upload my very first release of an anime. Even though it's technically a remux because I didn't encode the video or create the subtitles, I resynced the subtitles to the blu ray release and added translations to every OP/ED. There was originally no OP/ED subtitles in the TV airing release. Is this enough extra work I did where it would be considered "okay" to add my name next to the sub group?

Another question, is this a good naming convention? For labeling everything else, I'm considering following CTR's release standard's guide

Last question, should I make sure to add chapters to every episode? Not sure how necessary that is. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry for the dumb questions! :$

If you want, you can put your name/nickname in your sub group, that example is a good naming convention, and, you can add chapters in every episode if you can. Usually animes use chapters in every episode.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matthew Ovatz said:

If you want, you can put your name/nickname in your sub group, that example is a good naming convention, and, you can add chapters in every episode if you can. Usually animes use chapters in every episode.

Thank you! I'll try to figure out how to create chapters. 

You're in the right board, don't worry. 

Syncing subs to a BD release is certainly worth releasing, so do go ahead with your project by all means. I'd be curious to know what it is though ahead of your post, if I might advise you on what you've selected. 

Also, just a note on group name: it sounds like you intend to include your tag alongside the original in the file name? If so, don't do this. Standard practice is that group tags should only be in a file name if that group was directly involved in creating it. Since this is all your work, you should only have your tag on the files. Credit the original groups in your post of course (and in the track titles if you want to go the extra mile), but just tag filenames with your own tag and nothing else. 

And yes, chapters are always appreciated =) 

Feel free to ask more questions. Always happy to help another remuxer get started. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluegrapes said:

Somewhat related topic:

As for using Catar's (actually Scene's) file-naming approach, I am not a fan of it. That naming format is intended for US TV series which has fairly different release model than Anime. Additionally, majority of anime release groups do not follow Scene's standard for video, audio or subs, so using just naming does not make much sense. This naming is beneficial for those who use specific players that rely on 'Americanized' file names, but outside of that, they could end up being misleading and arguably incorrect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catar said:

Syncing subs to a BD release is certainly worth releasing, so do go ahead with your project by all means. I'd be curious to know what it is though ahead of your post, if I might advise you on what you've selected. 

Just a silly gag anime. But what's taking me a lot longer to complete this project is that I have to add a new translation for every ED because the lines for each ED is different. At least I'm almost finished and I learned a lot about using Aegisub from this. If I decide to sync any other animes, it will probably be faster to do if the OPs/EDs are already translated. 

Also, just a note on group name: it sounds like you intend to include your tag alongside the original in the file name? If so, don't do this. Standard practice is that group tags should only be in a file name if that group was directly involved in creating it. Since this is all your work, you should only have your tag on the files. Credit the original groups in your post of course (and in the track titles if you want to go the extra mile), but just tag filenames with your own tag and nothing else. 

Thank you I'll be sure to do this!

I notice that in many anime releases, there's a little hash in brackets at the end of each video file. Do you recommend putting that in my release? If you do how do I obtain that hash for each video file? 

1 hour ago, Hark0n said:

Somewhat related topic:

As for using Catar's (actually Scene's) file-naming approach, I am not a fan of it. That naming format is intended for US TV series which has fairly different release model than Anime. Additionally, majority of anime release groups do not follow Scene's standard for video, audio or subs, so using just naming does not make much sense. This naming is beneficial for those who use specific players that rely on 'Americanized' file names, but outside of that, they could end up being misleading and arguably incorrect.

Thanks for sharing that link! I was considering using CTR's naming conventions because I wanted to make it easy for Plex/Kodi users (like me) to scan the episodes into their libraries. It's annoying how the TVDB scrapper hates anime specials unless you name them a specific way. 

Also I have two more questions for you guys. Is about 48gb for 1080p and 20gb for 720p too big? There isn't that many good encodes available for this anime and the ones I've found are the best IMO. I think with an animation style this simple someone could have released a good nearly transparent encode half this size. I wonder if the original blu ray had artificial grain added to it to bloat it? I guess I can atleast recommend people to download the 720p release since the 1080p verison is a upscale. 

Spoiler

R3BMlUx.jpg

My second question is do you recommend setting the English subtitle to the default track when I mux it? I plan on releasing this with English and Spanish subtitles. 

Edited by bluegrapes

1 hour ago, Hark0n said:

Somewhat related topic:

44 minutes ago, bluegrapes said:

Thank you I'll be sure to do this!

I notice that in many anime releases, there's a little hash in brackets at the end of each video file. Do you recommend putting that in my release? If you do how do I obtain that hash for each video file? 

Thanks for sharing that link! I was considering using CTR's naming conventions because I wanted to make it easy for Plex/Kodi users (like me) to scan the episodes into their libraries. It's annoying how the TVDB scrapper hates anime specials unless you name them a specific way. 

Also I have two more questions for you guys. Is about 48gb for 1080p and 20gb for 720p too big? There isn't that many good encodes available for this anime and the ones I've found are the best IMO. I think with an animation style this simple someone could have released a good nearly transparent encode half this size. I wonder if the original blu ray had artificial grain added to it to bloat it? I guess I can atleast recommend people to download the 720p release since the 1080p verison is a upscale. 

Reveal hidden contents

R3BMlUx.jpg

My second question is do you recommend setting the English subtitle to the default track when I mux it? I plan on releasing this with English and Spanish subtitles. 

RE: CRCs

The hash at the end of a file is called a CRC. These help users make sure they have the correct file and that it's not corrupted. I always recommend including them, even if you are distributing by torrent where they aren't necessarily needed. It helps tremendously in ensuring your files remain intact when passed around between the myriad of transfers as they roll out through the Internet. RapidCRC is a good tool to add them to your files easily as well as test files you've downloaded to make sure they're not corrupted. In addition, many downloaders like Jdownloader will see CRCs in filenames and check them for you automatically when queued. Nice stuff.

RE: Bloat

none of us mind large files. If the best encode available is overly large, then by all means, use it. Just be sure there isn't an encode at the same quality for smaller. We love quality, and we're indifferent about bloat. That said, this only holds true for people around here who love to archive literally everything and have stupidly large hard drive arrays. Most users out there will appreciate smaller sizes, so if you can find an equivalent video track at smaller size, I'd recommend using that instead. Just be sure to not sacrifice quality in the process.

RE: Track ordering

Match the order of your subtitle tracks to your audio tracks, whatever that might be. If this is JPN audio only, then I'd probably say English subs first since you're releasing to an English-centric community here, but that's really just a personal preference choice. You can do whatever you like here.

RE: File naming:

I must disagree with @Hark0n here. I'd call anime-style naming much worse, particularly because there is no standard for anime filenaming. The idea that you can't use scene naming because most anime groups don't use it would seem all the more reason to start using it, because then we've actually got a standard to follow that makes sense and works well with all existing software. I've seen far too many variations out there, many of which I had to write new regexes just to get them to scrape into Kodi/Plex, as you've noted. Scene-style naming is a standard for all types of media (not just TV)  that's been around for forever, follows clear rules, includes all the necessary information, alphabetizes correctly (group names should not be first in a filename!), and is compatible with every player. More importantly, users who don't use Kodi/Plex really aren't affected by this choice. They still see a list of videos to watch, in the correct order. 

In terms of being misleading, I'd say that's the anime industry's fault more than the fansub groups' fault, but either way, we can help them out by including season numbering. Anime's tradition of nebulous seasons with the only differentiating mark being a random subtitle (or in Gintama's case, a random punctuation mark) is stupid. You might argue differently, that it's an artistic or creative choice, but honestly, it just serves to confuse newcomers and require more effort to figure out what's to watch next. Consider this: I can only think of a few examples where a Western TV series required looking up a watch order online. The correct order to watch Crusade (Babylon 5 spinoff), Firefly, or if you wanted to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel in their back-to-back airing order instead of season by season. Even in all these examples, however, this is simply the order it was aired in.

Compare this to anime, where there are huge wikis to explain to you how to view even the simplest show in the correct order, due to the various season names, OVA names, and other miscellany that crop up that the creators can't be bothered to name in a consistent order. If they aren't going to do it, I sure as hell am, because I'm a lazy viewer myself and I don't want to have to figure out what's the next episode in order. This is why we have TVDB and Kodi/Plex/Emby/Etc. It's a fantastic database that many home theatre systems hook up to. Use it. 

That said, I can understand the desire for a cleaner filename than traditional scene structure, which still follows some very old-fashioned rules based on old filesystems that didn't support spaces/special characters. As such, since you're not yet set in a particular standard like I am, I'd recommend a slightly adapted filename scheme:

Mr. Osomatsu S01E01 (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

Mr. Osomatsu S02E01 (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

Mr. Osomatsu S00E01 (26) - Matsu Juice -  Virgin Hero (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

this will look a bit cleaner than having periods throughout the filename, still includes all relevant information and in a proper order, includes CRCs, etc. I advise always including the episode title in Specials to help clearly identify what episode it is. In addition, I also included a hard episode number (26) after the Special number. This shouldn't be picked up by any scraper from my testing, but will be easily visible to know when to watch that episode in particular. In the case that an episode appears mid-season, you can instead use something like (15.5)

Also optional in the event there are several mid-season episodes (e.g. Attack on Titan S01 where there are quite a few OVAs that can be inserted), you can instead flip the hard episode number and the season numbering, e.g.

Attack on Titan (03) S01E03 (filethings) [groupname] [CRC].mkv

Attack on Titan (03.5) S00E02 Ilse's Notebook (filethings) [groupname] [CRC].mkv

Attack on Titan (04) S01E04 (filethings) [groupname] [CRC].mkv

This doesn't look as clean, so I wouldn't advise using it unless you are providing the OVAs as well as a complete package, but it does help all users to see watch order immediately by way of alphabetization, and still scrapes correctly.

and now I've gone and written a wall of text. let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help out <3

Edited by Catar
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Catar said:

RE: File naming:

I must disagree with @Hark0n here. I'd call anime-style naming much worse, particularly because there is no standard for anime filenaming. The idea that you can't use scene naming because most anime groups don't use it would seem all the more reason to start using it, because then we've actually got a standard to follow that makes sense and works well with all existing software. I've seen far too many variations out there, many of which I had to write new regexes just to get them to scrape into Kodi/Plex, as you've noted. Scene-style naming is a standard for all types of media (not just TV)  that's been around for forever, follows clear rules, includes all the necessary information, alphabetizes correctly (group names should not be first in a filename!), and is compatible with every player. More importantly, users who don't use Kodi/Plex really aren't affected by this choice. They still see a list of videos to watch, in the correct order. 

In terms of being misleading, I'd say that's the anime industry's fault more than the fansub groups' fault, but either way, we can help them out by including season numbering. Anime's tradition of nebulous seasons with the only differentiating mark being a random subtitle (or in Gintama's case, a random punctuation mark) is stupid. You might argue differently, that it's an artistic or creative choice, but honestly, it just serves to confuse newcomers and require more effort to figure out what's to watch next. Consider this: I can only think of a few examples where a Western TV series required looking up a watch order online. The correct order to watch Crusade (Babylon 5 spinoff), Firefly, or if you wanted to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel in their back-to-back airing order instead of season by season. Even in all these examples, however, this is simply the order it was aired in.

Compare this to anime, where there are huge wikis to explain to you how to view even the simplest show in the correct order, due to the various season names, OVA names, and other miscellany that crop up that the creators can't be bothered to name in a consistent order. If they aren't going to do it, I sure as hell am, because I'm a lazy viewer myself and I don't want to have to figure out what's the next episode in order. This is why we have TVDB and Kodi/Plex/Emby/Etc. It's a fantastic database that many home theatre systems hook up to. Use it. 

I absolutely agree that grout names should not be first in the filename and you are right that there is no clear rules for filenaming in anime community as a whole. Having a proper standard would be nice, but this issue has not affected me in any major way - I simply rename folders and as long as files are consistently named, there is no problem for standalone players. As for scene naming having no affect, that is debatable - if I use player that automatically plays all files in folder (e.g. MPC-HC), anything having S00EXX in the name will likely be played in the wrong order and if no additional info is included in the names (luckily your releases don't suffer from this), I would be forced to look up the order.

But that is the issue, a system that is built for straightforward Western TV series naming does not apply too well here, and tying to force it does not seem like the best idea for me.

The misleading part I was mentioning was in regards to adding S01 for a show that has only 1 season - one would expect that this information means something, while in truth it does not (like adding "The Movie" to standalone movie for no reason). Or when a single season is spit into multiple ones for no obvious reason and these "artificial" seasons don't even align with story.

Only shows that have complicated watching order usually have complex/convoluted story to begin with and may contain multiple possible watching orders. I don't see how TVDB can offer right solution when there is no clear one.

As for TVDB, I consider it ok-ish but pointless for me, as I don't use any home theater system, and I consider it a flaw, when my media player needs online connection to properly play local files.

As for accuracy, a quick look at Girls und Panzer watching order suggests that they can't even be bother to properly order numbered specials (or are they displaying them in wrong order for web browsers only). Then there are missing specials - GoT has more than 60 bonus feature for first 2 seasons alone (depending on how one splits them), but TVDB only has 32 in total and only 1 attached  for for first 2 seasons. and let's not forget that they consider theatrical movies to be TV specials as well.

Anyways, I will agree that TVDB can do good when one excludes bonus feature and specials, but specials will most likely be the thing that viewers would need guidance.

@Catar I generally don't have problems with your releases - I just rename folder and I am good, but I will never approve naming you used for Girls Und Panzer movie:

Scene: Title.Of.The.Movie.YEAR.Source.Codec-GROUP

Carar: Title.Of.The.Movie.S00EXX.Source.Codec-GROUP

@bluegrapes Sorry for hijacking your thread for my rant. Don't take my criticism too seriously and feel free to use scene's or Catar's naming standard as long as you don't include too many specials and bonus features.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bluegrapes said:

Thank you! I'll try to figure out how to create chapters. 

MKVToolsNix -> on left navigation pane click on "Chapter editor" -> right-click add new edition -> right click add new chapter (once per chapter) -> `ctrl+S` to save

After that, it is lazy to create a spreadsheet with all of the chapters you would like to create for every episode and fill in the exact times to fill in the times quickly. It is also possible to extract out that chapters file as a .xml file, re-merge every file with that incorrect chapters file, and then only have to fix the times. That saves from having to create and name each entry.

If you are going to be releasing stuff, my only real recommendation is to enjoy it.

It can be easy to get overwhelmed by those with different goals in their releases. Some people, like Catar, cater their releases towards english dub viewers that are using a dedicated plex/emby/kodi box and have tons of storage. Quite specific. Other people are more interested in balancing file-size vs quality, others are more interested in subtitle quality, others are more interested in having their work accepted by private trackers, and still more others are interested only in compatibility.

Figure out why you are releasing stuff and what parts of it you enjoy and just do that. As long as you are happy with the work you have done, there will be other people that will appreciate whatever you decide to release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YukinoAi said:

Figure out why you are releasing stuff and what parts of it you enjoy and just do that. As long as you are happy with the work you have done, there will be other people that will appreciate whatever you decide to release.

Stop being smart and level-headed. This is supposed to be a thread about pedantic arguing over file names.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Catar said:

RE: CRCs

The hash at the end of a file is called a CRC. These help users make sure they have the correct file and that it's not corrupted. I always recommend including them, even if you are distributing by torrent where they aren't necessarily needed. It helps tremendously in ensuring your files remain intact when passed around between the myriad of transfers as they roll out through the Internet. RapidCRC is a good tool to add them to your files easily as well as test files you've downloaded to make sure they're not corrupted. In addition, many downloaders like Jdownloader will see CRCs in filenames and check them for you automatically when queued. Nice stuff.

RE: Bloat

none of us mind large files. If the best encode available is overly large, then by all means, use it. Just be sure there isn't an encode at the same quality for smaller. We love quality, and we're indifferent about bloat. That said, this only holds true for people around here who love to archive literally everything and have stupidly large hard drive arrays. Most users out there will appreciate smaller sizes, so if you can find an equivalent video track at smaller size, I'd recommend using that instead. Just be sure to not sacrifice quality in the process.

RE: Track ordering

Match the order of your subtitle tracks to your audio tracks, whatever that might be. If this is JPN audio only, then I'd probably say English subs first since you're releasing to an English-centric community here, but that's really just a personal preference choice. You can do whatever you like here.

Thanks for showing me that program. I will include the CRC hashes in my release. 

I was thinking about maybe making a semi-crappy mini encode too.  

I think I'll make english subs default. 

I like using Plex/Kodi not only because it's easier for me to watch my movies/tv shows stored across multiple hard drives on my TV but because it's the closest way to see a "physical representation" of your digital media collection. Which than causes me to data hoard more.  

Also the ability to stream movies from anywhere isn't too bad. 

Mr. Osomatsu S01E01 (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

Mr. Osomatsu S02E01 (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

Mr. Osomatsu S00E01 (26) - Matsu Juice -  Virgin Hero (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

this will look a bit cleaner than having periods throughout the filename, still includes all relevant information and in a proper order, includes CRCs, etc. I advise always including the episode title in Specials to help clearly identify what episode it is. In addition, I also included a hard episode number (26) after the Special number. This shouldn't be picked up by any scraper from my testing, but will be easily visible to know when to watch that episode in particular. In the case that an episode appears mid-season, you can instead use something like (15.5)

Also optional in the event there are several mid-season episodes (e.g. Attack on Titan S01 where there are quite a few OVAs that can be inserted), you can instead flip the hard episode number and the season numbering, e.g.

The funny thing about "episode 26" is that it is actually "episode 3.5". With the osomatsu-san anime, episode 1 is "banned" for copyright infringement because it included too many anime parodies like this. It's never allowed to be officially streamed or released on physical media. So episode 3.5 was included in the blu ray/DVD release to make up for the missing episode 1. So I would like to label that episode and a few other anime specials that was released in a way that doesn't mess up the main ordering of season 1. 

I still plan to include the tv airing of the first episode in my release. 

Maybe I can try 

Osomatsu-san S00E01 (3.5) (1080p-Hi10p BluRay FLAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

Osomatsu-san S00E01 (3.5) (720p-Hi10p BluRay AAC 2.0 x264) [bluegrapes] [1234ABCD].mkv

Also 

7 hours ago, Hark0n said:

I absolutely agree that grout names should not be first in the filename and you are right that there is no clear rules for filenaming in anime community as a whole. Having a proper standard would be nice, but this issue has not affected me in any major way - I simply rename folders and as long as files are consistently named, there is no problem for standalone players. As for scene naming having no affect, that is debatable - if I use player that automatically plays all files in folder (e.g. MPC-HC), anything having S00EXX in the name will likely be played in the wrong order and if no additional info is included in the names (luckily your releases don't suffer from this), I would be forced to look up the order.

I find that so annoying too when the group name is in front of the file/folder name. Ruins it if you're trying to alphabetically organize your media files like most people. I''ll be sure to include my name at the end of the files. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread for my rant. Don't take my criticism too seriously and feel free to use scene's or Catar's naming standard as long as you don't include too many specials and bonus features.

That's fine! This discussion was very interesting!

2 hours ago, YukinoAi said:

MKVToolsNix -> on left navigation pane click on "Chapter editor" -> right-click add new edition -> right click add new chapter (once per chapter) -> `ctrl+S` to save

After that, it is lazy to create a spreadsheet with all of the chapters you would like to create for every episode and fill in the exact times to fill in the times quickly. It is also possible to extract out that chapters file as a .xml file, re-merge every file with that incorrect chapters file, and then only have to fix the times. That saves from having to create and name each entry.

I'm going to try to use the method you detailed. It just feels a little daunting to created chapters for over 26 episodes. But I guess once I get in the hang of it, it won't take too long to finish. 

I guess the main structure of creating chapters for animes is usually 

--->OP

--->Part A

---->Part B

---->ED

---->Episode preview

It can be easy to get overwhelmed by those with different goals in their releases. Some people, like Catar, cater their releases towards english dub viewers that are using a dedicated plex/emby/kodi box and have tons of storage. Quite specific. Other people are more interested in balancing file-size vs quality, others are more interested in subtitle quality, others are more interested in having their work accepted by private trackers, and still more others are interested only in compatibility.

>releases towards english (and maybe spanish viewers) viewers that are using a dedicated plex/emby/kodi box

>balancing file-size vs quality

>subtitle quality

I would like to aim for these things! Maybe the private tracker thing would be nice if I was apart of any :D

Thanks for the great answers everyone! You inspire me to try to make this release as nice as I can. 

2 hours ago, bluegrapes said:

I'm going to try to use the method you detailed. It just feels a little daunting to created chapters for over 26 episodes. But I guess once I get in the hang of it, it won't take too long to finish. 

I guess the main structure of creating chapters for animes is usually 

--->OP

--->Part A

---->Part B

---->ED

---->Episode preview

An alternative way of getting chapters would be to extract them from BD, if you have it. Tools like Eac3to can do that, but this is usually easier for US BDs than JP BDs because JP releases more often have single playlist for multiple episodes and therefore a single chapter file for multiple episodes as well.

Or you can use text based chapter files (as opposed to XML based) - just create text document with structure like this (add as many pairs as needed):

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=OP
CHAPTER02=00:01:41.018
CHAPTER02NAME=Part A
CHAPTER03=00:03:10.982
CHAPTER03NAME=Part B
CHAPTER04=00:11:14.966
CHAPTER04NAME=ED
CHAPTER05=00:22:31.016
CHAPTER05NAME=Episode Preview

This txt file can then be muxed into mkv file with MKVToolNix

For names I would recommend using source names, if you can, but if not, "classical" names you suggested will be more than OK.

As a side note, be careful with chapters that start at the same time as a sign. If a chapter start time is after start time of the sign (even by few milliseconds), sign might not load, so it is better to put chapter either at exact time as the sign or before it (few milliseconds won't make any noticeable difference, as it will still be the same frame).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hark0n said:

An alternative way of getting chapters would be to extract them from BD, if you have it. Tools like Eac3to can do that, but this is usually easier for US BDs than JP BDs because JP releases more often have single playlist for multiple episodes and therefore a single chapter file for multiple episodes as well.

Or you can use text based chapter files (as opposed to XML based) - just create text document with structure like this (add as many pairs as needed):

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=OP
CHAPTER02=00:01:41.018
CHAPTER02NAME=Part A
CHAPTER03=00:03:10.982
CHAPTER03NAME=Part B
CHAPTER04=00:11:14.966
CHAPTER04NAME=ED
CHAPTER05=00:22:31.016
CHAPTER05NAME=Episode Preview

This txt file can then be muxed into mkv file with MKVToolNix

For names I would recommend using source names, if you can, but if not, "classical" names you suggested will be more than OK.

As a side note, be careful with chapters that start at the same time as a sign. If a chapter start time is after start time of the sign (even by few milliseconds), sign might not load, so it is better to put chapter either at exact time as the sign or before it (few milliseconds won't make any noticeable difference, as it will still be the same frame).

Thanks for showing me that example chapter structure! It made it a lot easier to make a chapter file. Now I think I know how to do it. 

Here's an example of what the final release will look like with the correct filename and chapter file added. I hard-encoded the subs for this example but the final release will be softsub of course. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ejh-MoB2eOUTR3V0ZSU3N3Qms/view?usp=sharing

Now I just have to finish syncing the rest of the episodes. Only a few left. 

Spoiler

Syncing the scripts only take a few minutes. Adding the translations to 25 different endings is what makes it takes forever to finish. Luckily when I started this project I found a chinese release that already had the subs and OP/ED translations timed to the blu ray. So I just had to "borrow" their timings so I could finish this a lot faster. 

Did any of you guys ever use releases from different languages to help you time the tv subs to the BDrips?

Edited by bluegrapes

11 minutes ago, bluegrapes said:

Thanks for showing me that example chapter structure! It made it a lot easier to make a chapter file. Now I think I know how to do it. 

Here's an example of what the final release will look like with the correct filename and chapter file added. I hard-encoded the subs for this example but the final release will be softsub of course. 

Now I just have to finish syncing the rest of the episodes. Only a few left. 

Reveal hidden contents

Syncing the scripts only take a few minutes. Adding the translations to 25 different endings is what makes it takes forever to finish. Luckily when I started this project I found a chinese release that already had the subs and OP/ED translations timed to the blu ray. So I just had to "borrow" their timings so I could finish this a lot faster. 

Did any of you guys ever use releases from different languages to help you time the tv subs to the BDrips?

Two recommendations I'd make:

Remove the period between your audio codec and channels to make it clear the two are related. i.e. 

AAC2.0

Periods are used to denote a new piece of information (channelcount excepted of course) so in this case it looks off since you've separated two halves of a piece. If you end up using AC3 audio for whatever reason in the future, refer to it as DD (Dolby Digital, its marketing name) to avoid hard to parse filenames. e.g. "DD5.1" instead of "AC35.1"

Second, the group name is usually preceded by a - to denote the end of file information. You can leave it in brackets if you want, in which case your final filename should be this:

Osomatsu-san.S01E02.720p.BDRip.AAC2.0.x264-[bluegrapes][9E294E97].mkv

other minor nitpicks: usually the source is simply marked as "BluRay", not "BDRip" anymore, since it's a given it was a rip and it was decided to just give the source name correctly. An untouched BD Remux is labelled as a "BluRay.Remux".

for reference, rules breakdown from BTN:

Spoiler

Naming Convention examples for Season Packs:

-DVDRip: TVSeries.SXX.FORMAT.DVDRip.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-DVDR: TVSeries.SXX.FORMAT.DVD-group
-SD WEB-DL: TVSeries.SXX.480p.WEB-DL.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-720p WEB-DL: TVSeries.SXX.720p.WEB-DL.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-SD HDTV: TVSeries.SXX.HDTV.CODEC-group
-720p HDTV: TVSeries.SXX.720p.HDTV.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-1080i HDTV: TVSeries.SXX.1080i.HDTV.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-DSR: TVSeries.SXX.DSR.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-PDTV: TVSeries.SXX.PDTV.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-BRRrip: TVSeries.SXX.BluRay.AUDIO.CODEC-group

Where:
TVSeries = Show name.
SXX = Season number, in the format of S01 for Season 1, S02 for Season 2 etc.
Format = NTSC or PAL (mandatory for all DVD releases).
Source = Which medium was the original release (HDTV, DVDRip, DVD, WEB-DL, BluRay, etc.)
Audio = DD2.0, DD5.1, AAC2.0, AAC5.1, DTS.5.1, DTSHD-MA, TrueHD or FLAC.
Codec = x264, H.264, MPEG2, Xvid.
Group = The name of the group that released the episodes. If the pack contains multiple groups or is user encoded, use -BTN. If group is unknown and file names do not state anything, use -NOGRP.

Characters Permitted:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789.-

Characters Strictly Prohibited:
'!"$%^&*()

Examples 

DVD/BluRay Images:
Lost.S06.1080p.BluRay.DTS-HD.H.264-BEER
Malcolm.In.The.Middle.S03.NTSC.DVD-BTN

HDTV Captures:
Homeland.S01E08.1080i.HDTV.DD5.1.MPEG2-Fizo

720p/1080p WEB-DLs:
CSI.Miami.S10E09.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-NFHD

720p/1080p x264 Encodes:
Fringe.S04E07.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-HDxT

SD Xvid/x264 Encodes:
Kamen.Rider.Dragon.Knight.S01E01.Back.in.Black.PDTV.Xvid-DVSKY
Arrow.S01E01.HDTV.x264-LOL

Legend:
Series Name
Season Number
Episode Number
Episode Name (Optional)
Source-Format
Codec
Group Name

Allowed characters: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789.-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluegrapes said:

To me it looked like chapters are a bit off - OP and ED starts before chapter marker. Additionally, font size might be a bit too large (maybe), other than that, it looks OK.

2 hours ago, Catar said:

Two recommendations I'd make:

Remove the period between your audio codec and channels to make it clear the two are related. i.e. 

AAC2.0

Periods are used to denote a new piece of information (channelcount excepted of course) so in this case it looks off since you've separated two halves of a piece. If you end up using AC3 audio for whatever reason in the future, refer to it as DD (Dolby Digital, its marketing name) to avoid hard to parse filenames. e.g. "DD5.1" instead of "AC35.1"

Second, the group name is usually preceded by a - to denote the end of file information. You can leave it in brackets if you want, in which case your final filename should be this:

Osomatsu-san.S01E02.720p.BDRip.AAC2.0.x264-[bluegrapes][9E294E97].mkv

other minor nitpicks: usually the source is simply marked as "BluRay", not "BDRip" anymore, since it's a given it was a rip and it was decided to just give the source name correctly. An untouched BD Remux is labelled as a "BluRay.Remux".

for reference, rules breakdown from BTN:

Reveal hidden contents

Naming Convention examples for Season Packs:

-DVDRip: TVSeries.SXX.FORMAT.DVDRip.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-DVDR: TVSeries.SXX.FORMAT.DVD-group
-SD WEB-DL: TVSeries.SXX.480p.WEB-DL.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-720p WEB-DL: TVSeries.SXX.720p.WEB-DL.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-SD HDTV: TVSeries.SXX.HDTV.CODEC-group
-720p HDTV: TVSeries.SXX.720p.HDTV.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-1080i HDTV: TVSeries.SXX.1080i.HDTV.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-DSR: TVSeries.SXX.DSR.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-PDTV: TVSeries.SXX.PDTV.AUDIO.CODEC-group
-BRRrip: TVSeries.SXX.BluRay.AUDIO.CODEC-group

Where:
TVSeries = Show name.
SXX = Season number, in the format of S01 for Season 1, S02 for Season 2 etc.
Format = NTSC or PAL (mandatory for all DVD releases).
Source = Which medium was the original release (HDTV, DVDRip, DVD, WEB-DL, BluRay, etc.)
Audio = DD2.0, DD5.1, AAC2.0, AAC5.1, DTS.5.1, DTSHD-MA, TrueHD or FLAC.
Codec = x264, H.264, MPEG2, Xvid.
Group = The name of the group that released the episodes. If the pack contains multiple groups or is user encoded, use -BTN. If group is unknown and file names do not state anything, use -NOGRP.

Characters Permitted:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789.-

Characters Strictly Prohibited:
'!"$%^&*()

Examples 

DVD/BluRay Images:
Lost.S06.1080p.BluRay.DTS-HD.H.264-BEER
Malcolm.In.The.Middle.S03.NTSC.DVD-BTN

HDTV Captures:
Homeland.S01E08.1080i.HDTV.DD5.1.MPEG2-Fizo

720p/1080p WEB-DLs:
CSI.Miami.S10E09.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-NFHD

720p/1080p x264 Encodes:
Fringe.S04E07.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-HDxT

SD Xvid/x264 Encodes:
Kamen.Rider.Dragon.Knight.S01E01.Back.in.Black.PDTV.Xvid-DVSKY
Arrow.S01E01.HDTV.x264-LOL

Legend:
Series Name
Season Number
Episode Number
Episode Name (Optional)
Source-Format
Codec
Group Name

Allowed characters: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789.-

Thank you! I wasn't really paying attention to where I put the periods at because I was just placing them in places where there are empty spaces. I thought a lot of release groups like to put periods or underscores in their filenames just to prevent empty spaces. Not because it makes it easier to read what codecs/video sources their files consist of.  

I think I'll use this: 

Osomatsu-san.S01E02.720p.BluRay.AAC2.0.x264-Bluegrapes[9E294E97].mkv

Osomatsu-san.S01E02.1080p.BluRay.FLAC2.0.x264-Bluegrapes[9E294E97].mkv

1 hour ago, Hark0n said:

To me it looked like chapters are a bit off - OP and ED starts before chapter marker. Additionally, font size might be a bit too large (maybe), other than that, it looks OK.

The reason for that is because I was looking at when the OP/ED lyrics start on my aegisub file. I should instead have been looking at where the OP/ED actually starts. Dumb mistake :D

Here's the corrected version

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ejh-MoB2eOZld0bzVZbmRoNU0/view?usp=sharing