Samurai Jack (Season 5)

TheOneWhoSees

Has anyone kept up with this? Is it any good? Just wanna know if it's worth rewatching all of Samurai Jack to watch this lol.

The show is great.  And rewatching the past seasons of Samurai Jack is not required although it would enrich the viewing experience.

The current season blends Mad Max style of story-telling with less bombast and adrenaline. The animation is a marked improvement to the previous seasons while not so jarring (a la Xiaolin Chronicles). But personally, Jack's new design (both unshaven and clean) felt a bit weird to me.

For older fans, there are easter eggs and references galore but it does not hinder the story for any new viewers. The change in Jack is like the change in Max between Mad Max Thunderdome and Mad Max Fury Road. We know he's been through a lot and is suffering from PTSD which makes want to root for him more to beat it.

Lastly, the atmosphere that engrosses you into his story remain intact. The beautiful backgrounds, the raw emotions and new mature themes all make it an awesome show to watch.

9.5/10

• Like 1

Great Season, but I have to admit, if I would compare it to other seasons, it would probably be the weakest. But the thing is I can't, it'sway to different, just by simply having a continuous storyline, instead of self contained episodes. I dunno, doesn't feel like a proper season of Samurai Jack, but a deliberate attempt at closure for series.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 4:23 AM, TheOneWhoSees said:

Did you guys enjoy the finale?

(Cause I did :))

I enjoyed the ending. I can understand why people say it's rushed, but considering what pressures are on Genndy and his team, they did what they could. 

Edited by Predaking-117
  • Like 1

On 21/05/2017 at 4:23 PM, TheOneWhoSees said:

Did you guys enjoy the finale?

(Cause I did :))

The ending brought closure. It could've been better and seemed rushed but overall, I am satisfied with the ending. Who knows, maybe Gennedy will release an extended version or some deleted storyboards. That would be appreciated.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hujan86 said:

Should've made 12 or 13 episodes rather than compressed everything in 10.

I'm sure a lot of us feel that way, but maybe it was Adult Swim that told Genndy that Season 5 can only have 10 episodes, and it was a take it or leave it situation. I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing it went down someway like that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Predaking-117 said:

I'm sure a lot of us feel that way, but maybe it was Adult Swim that told Genndy that Season 5 can only have 10 episodes, and it was a take it or leave it situation. I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing it went down someway like that.

I remember during the Q&A he did with his wife on the premiere he said some things that hinted (to me anyway) that Cartoon Network was unsure about a big enough following from back in the day to justify a longer season to finish the story finally.

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler

All in all, I thought it served to drive home Jack's intense desire to finish things. Regardless if they were being rushed to finish it in 10 episodes, Jack had been waiting 50+ years to finish it. He already knows his sword is stronger and capable of killing Aku so they didn't need to drag out the fight. Imagine being mentally and physically tortured for 50 years and finally (and very suddenly) being thrown back to finally end all of it? You wouldn't want to mess around.

Edited by noob447
  • Like 1