Hard Drive Failure

NoEgo

I always thought I was one of those guys that it couldn't happen to... Boy was I wrong! I recently had all of my drives fail virtually at once. As one began to fail, I ordered a replacement. The very day that the replacement drive arrived, my second drive began throwing some catastrophic failures, and then croaked entirely. I was able to salvage the  data on the first drive, containing all my movie collection and personal backups. But I lost all the data from the second drive. I've even swapped out the PCBs and ROM chips. It's gone.

So there goes my entire television and anime collection. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is missing. I'm kinda bummed I can't find Qrazed release of Dragon Ball Kai now, but I am slowly rebuilding what I had. Lucky for me I was running Sonarr, Emby and a Kodi/mysql setup so there is a detailed documentation of the stuff I had, if not the specific releases.

I dunno where I am going with this rant. It just sucks.

Edited by CapMaster
  • Like 1

Yep been there and still recovering. I lost everything anime, music, manga, movies. I'm actually surprised at how many things I've gotten back and then some. That's why I will always be grateful to anyone that has ever uploaded any kind of copywrited content. It's kept me sane for the past decade.

Edited by diamonddustlove

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 3tb seagate full of shows die on me. The pcb shorted and left a scorch mark on the metal part of the drive. I considered the pcb swap recovery route but figured the cost wasn't worth it. Most of the lost stuff I had backed to blu ray discs  as data burns and the rest was still here on the web. Backing up 25gb takes anly about 16 min. with an Lg brand burner so now I back every show up. Better safe than sorry. When downloading a new show I use a directory listing progam to keep track of what I have and store it elsewhere.

-adog

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 5tb seagate crap out on me a few months ago, the majority of the content was backed up to a 4tb portable seagate. Some of the backed up content was corrupted before I backed it up so obv the backups were corrupted too, but this forum has been instrumental in replacing the corrupted content. This forum truly is the best. Ever since I make sure to have at least 2 copies of everything across multiple hard drives because seagates suck and feel like they can crap out at any moment. The thing is everything's backed up to seagates so I'm not sure why having these backups makes me feel safer lmao.

• 2 weeks later...