Wasted Space Reclaimation on Brave Theme

Catar

I like the Brave (default) theme a lot, but I think it takes up far too much vertical space at the top. In some cases you can barely even see the first post's content without scrolling on a 1080p screen. Granted, all of it is actually being used for things right now, but I don't care about a lot of those things.

yes this is super pedantic and lazy =P

I've created a simple userstyle plugin to remove a lot of things at the top I never use, if anyone else wants it. Install with Stylish or whatever else.

example screenshots below. I may improve on this in the future, this was a really quick thing thrown together.

normal:

Spoiler

368398d14240928429c9afdcc1ec4a36.png

with space saver (note you can now read the second post without scrolling): 

Spoiler

e71499a6d079a0fd6dfb8539bd276095.png

normal: 

Spoiler

2d91b4731793a8cbc43f75564f300f9e.jpg

with space saver:

Spoiler

d1266bb64aa3ed145562ff47b83a51fb.jpg

So you removed the ability to rate a topic, start a topic, or reply from top, as well as breadcrumbs, topic info, the ability to subscribe/follow a topic, rss feed, link to unread posts, our facebook/steam/twitter, etc... A lot of that is extremely important features. After all if you can't create a topic, then what point is a forum for example?

• Like 1

Correct, but only within topic view. The start topic/reply to topic buttons are really rather pointless at the top of a thread in my opinion. Better to start a topic from the topic listing anyway, to know you're in the right board, and as for replies you should be replying at the end of a thread anyway, since this isn't a nested threads board.

Ratings, who looks at them anyway? =P

Breadcrumbs: Usually useful, but I can get to the board index from the header logo, and to the board I'm in from the link at the bottom, or by hitting Back in my browser in most cases. This one is definitely a small hit on functionality.

Topic info, yeah it's a little weird to lose it, but it's still in the page title, and it was the largest offender space-wise.

edit: follow a topic: yes, this is the worst one to lose, since now you can only follow by replying and choosing to get notified. I wanted to move this elsewhere, and may go diving further into css to figure that out when I'm not doing other things.

Edited by Catar

I definitely think this is going to be a personal thing and only a select group will get the benefit. I don't mind the removal of the Rating topic and Start/reply topic section, but the topic title and breadcrumbs are essential :P - essentially when that only leaves you with reading the URL to remember which topic you are in. If anything, I would remove/shrink the banner when in the sub forums and have it the full height on the home page. As for the title, you have that wonderful main title glowing bar to put a bold title in the center of it.

E.g. And if I could make the banner smaller, I would... gave up after 30mins :/

Spoiler

ss%20%282016-08-30%20at%2010.53.47%29.pn

Also, stop rating your own topics!!! @Catar-_-:P 

tsk tsk

4 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Out of all the things I changed in that screenshot, that's what you focused on? >_> 

Eh, fair enough - I'll admit to a few, exploit IPS.   

actually yeah, I do like your changes there, if you wouldn't mind sharing that script back over.

5 minutes ago, Catar said:

actually yeah, I do like your changes there, if you wouldn't mind sharing that script back over.

Ok, you will have to forgive me, I don't know if you serious or joking? Sorry :/ 

If serious about the script, I used chrome's console with the java editor command to "live" edit the website and then took a screenshot of it.  It took longer than I care to admit...

1 minute ago, Moodkiller said:

Ok, you will have to forgive me, I don't know if you serious or joking? Sorry :/ 

If serious about the script, I used chrome's console with the java editor command to "live" edit the website and then took a screenshot of it.  It took longer than I care to admit...

and here i was hoping you were a css wizard ;-;

oh well.

On 01/09/2016 at 5:40 PM, Moodkiller said:

Problem with 4K is that you need a 50'+ monitor to actually see anything, or a magnifying classes 

4K at 40" is perfect for Windows 100% scaling, though if you have a Mac or Linux box then their scaling is a lot better and you can scale at 150% or more at 27" or whatever.

As I said, it's a monitor issue....

Edited by ZeroPenguins

1 hour ago, Moodkiller said:

@ZeroPenguins donates a 40" 4K monitor to @Catar and @Moodkiller to fix their screen troubles \o/

Okey, I will just need your full name, date of birth, postal address, scan copies of your passport or driver's license, a current bill with your address on it and I will get that sorted for you guys.

No worries, and don't worry if a few new bank accounts get opened under your names, it's just a false positive.

Your new 4K monitors should arrive in a few weeks.

=)

13 hours ago, ZeroPenguins said:

Okey, I will just need your full name, date of birth, postal address, scan copies of your passport or driver's license, a current bill with your address on it and I will get that sorted for you guys.

No worries, and don't worry if a few new bank accounts get opened under your names, it's just a false positive.

Your new 4K monitors should arrive in a few weeks.

=)

@ZeroPenguins - PM'ed you the details, also took the liberty of grabbing Catars' and passing them on as well. 

Now, how to userstyle...