Rewrite

Koby

5ALiz09.jpg

MAL

Synopsis

Kazamatsuri, a modern, well-developed city renowned for its burgeoning greenery and rich Japanese culture, is home to Kotarou Tennouji, a high schooler least privy to the place's shared values. Content to fill his pockets with frivolity, the proud and nosey boy whiles away his time pestering the self-proclaimed delinquent Haruhiko, and indulging in his amorous feelings toward the oddball Kotori.

Equipped with the superhuman ability to permanently rewrite any part of his body to multiply his strength or speed, Kotarou is naturally drawn to the supernatural. One special meeting with the lone member and president of the Occult Research Club, the "Witch" Akane Senri, leads to Kotarou reviving the Occult Club by recruiting Kotori and three other members: the clumsy transfer student Chihaya, the strict class representative Lucia, and the unassuming Shizuru. As Kotarou unveils hidden secrets of each member of the Occult Club through their shared adventures, he will inevitably encounter a fate that only he might be able to rewrite.

• Like 2

First half was boring and confusing... second half was better but there is still a few confusing aspects and it certainly fills like I'm missing something by not having played the VN. MC-kun mentions doing something here that was never explained to anime-only watchers and I only found out through some Google-fu what he was referring to. Hope things come together better next episode and they don't keep skipping over explaining things to anime-only viewers.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not even sure what to say about episode two. Didn't really leave any impressionable thoughts for me to speak about. Episode one was pretty much a long introduction of all the girls, while episode two was pretty much about getting them all to join the Occult Club, nothing else of import really took place other than those silly paper Talismans and Ribbon Girl's interaction with them in MC's bed room during each night. Not really sure where this is going or what to expect; especially since I didn't play the VN, but I can already say that it's not lived up to the hype it had surrounding it before the season begun.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 4:54 PM, Koby said:

I'm honestly not even sure what to say about episode two. Didn't really leave any impressionable thoughts for me to speak about.

Hahah really?? You're not even going to mention that fart! 

I don't enjoy slapstick comedy, but that scene killed me, especially because I was expecting something else to happen after the paper talismans were beaten. I thought that was something only abridged episodes did...

The only ground made was the distance between MC and Ribbon loli - and that happens right at the end of the episode -_- 

Episode 3 didn't leave much of an impression either for most of the first half which was just about their club assignment to catch a creature known as a Tsuchinoko as a way of proving the supernatural exists. Second half was rather interesting with MC-kun chasing Ribbons-chan and ending up getting chased and attacked by some summoned dogs. One thing of note is they finally explained MC-kun's 'Rewrite' ability. It also seems like anything he rewrites becomes permanent? Not sure on that, but he did comment about it was going to be hard to hide his new abilities from his friends as if he'd still have them the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this continues to be the biggest let-down of the season and totally didn't live up to the hype it had.

5 episodes in and all I can say is this is even worse than Charlotte, which at least started strong before sinking.

Rewrite is for the most part, a confusing mess which requires previous knowledge of the VN to fully grasp the situation at times, and the anime also doesn't try to build too much on character depth or whatnot as it basically assumes you already know who is who and stuff. While they originally stated the anime would be it's own anime-original '6th route', they've started adapting random parts of the other 5 it seems.

So the result is just a mess. Losing faith is Visual Art's Key VN anime adaptations.

• Like 1

I was dissapointed with the latest episode. Someone told me that Ryukisho07 wrote Lucia's route (which Ryukishi07 is my most favorite creator) and it seemed kind of off. I think I will just stick to the VN with this show. It seems that it wasn't adapted too great, not to mention that its an original route anyways, so it just seems like a bunch of stuff jumbled together from other routes plus some possible new stuff.

9 hours ago, Koby said:

Well this continues to be the biggest let-down of the season and totally didn't live up to the hype it had.

5 episodes in and all I can say is this is even worse than Charlotte, which at least started strong before sinking.

Rewrite is for the most part, a confusing mess which requires previous knowledge of the VN to fully grasp the situation at times, and the anime also doesn't try to build too much on character depth or whatnot as it basically assumes you already know who is who and stuff. While they originally stated the anime would be it's own anime-original '6th route', they've started adapting random parts of the other 5 it seems.

So the result is just a mess. Losing faith is Visual Art's Key VN anime adaptations.

Am I sensing a possible drop here Koby? Truth be told, I was also disappointed with the anime adaptation of the show so far for the exact same reasons you stated above and cause I had WAYYY different expectations of the show because of its original hype and for also being a fan of Key's work. If its mess goes on like that I may drop it. The only thing that keeps me on for now is the fact that the mess genres of each episode (whether it's a thriller-mystery-horror or a comedy or a drama or an adventure - I still don't get that Rewrite wants to accomplish to do and to be as a show) fascinate me to a good degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like from episode 7 it's going in an original story/route. So far has been a terrible adaptation, very low budget and rushed for Key anime. Wish they were patient enough to wait until WHITE FOX wasn't busy to adapt this but they decided to rather give it a rushed low budget adaptation to advertise Rewrite+ it seems.