Preventing video file "corruption"

warlord8

Yesterday, while watching an episode of Samurai Champloo, I noticed this huge block of rainbow pixels appeared as the OP transitioned into the story part. Not really sure what the technical term is for this, but I'm going to refer to it as corruption lol. 

It is a Philosophy-Raws encode that I downloaded about a year ago and stored on one of my external hard drives. This external drive is specifically used for archiving anime, and is only on/spinning when I'm moving anime to other hard drives. I always copy files over from the archive back onto my computer in order to play videos.

Since the file on the main drive was corrupted, I decided to check the episode on the archive drive. It also had the same problem. I also had a backup of this archive on another drive, and again, same issue. So three files of this particular episode had the same issue. I just redownloaded the episode and it is perfectly fine. Even the torrent page has no complaints. 

So my questions are:

1. What is this called?

2. How does this happen?

3. How can I prevent it?

4. Is there a way to know if other series are messed up without having to rewatch everything?

I've had shows sit on my hard drive for much longer than a year play fine when I got around to it. Thanks for reading.

32 minutes ago, JohnFlower said:

Two things:

1. Stop using external hard drives to store everything.

2. Is it possible that the file was incomplete after downloading?

1. What do you suggest to use then?

2. It is possible, but I never stop until done with 100% and have all pieces. Are you suggesting that this rainbow pixelization occurs when a download is incomplete?

Edited by warlord8
Answer 2 had bad grammar

1) Give us a screenshot example of the issue at hand.

2) Check CRC via RapidCRC or another similar CRC checker; provided the encoder was decent enough to provide CRC in file name. Let us know if it checks out okay or if it comes up corrupted / fails CRC check.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Koby said:

1) Give us a screenshot example of the issue at hand.

2) Check CRC via RapidCRC or another similar CRC checker; provided the encoder was decent enough to provide CRC in file name. Let us know if it checks out okay or if it comes up corrupted / fails CRC check.

sCFfDbB

Link

2. No CRC available. I was thinking maybe I could check it again with utorrent or something

7 hours ago, warlord8 said:

1. What do you suggest to use then?

I suggest using some form of redundant storage that isn't susceptible to alien forces (i.e. gravity, liquids etc.) coupled with a backup of said redundant storage.

7 hours ago, warlord8 said:

2. It is possible, but I never stop until done with 100% and have all pieces. Are you suggesting that this rainbow pixelization occurs when a download is incomplete?

It can.

5 hours ago, warlord8 said:

In all seriousness, can video files get messed up like this just sitting on hard drives?

Of course it can. It can also be caused by bad memory (bit flip), incomplete downloads and, in your case, a bad source hard drive (i.e. the drive you downloaded the file onto originally). There's also the possibility that whoever encoded the file had issues on their end.

• Like 1